Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: SHNF 2017 rifle season [Re: Bigfoot] #7060920 02/01/18 01:08 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I have hiked tarkington Bayou several times and that is a good area for pigs. Red rd has some good spots on it however I quit going there because of the people in that area. I have come across a few drug dealers and guys running around covering for these guys. They have made it a point to run me off a few times so I quit going. I dont know if they are growing weed or making crank but lots of scumbag people up to no good around there so be careful. If I were you I would be packing a concealed weapon.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 02/01/18 03:21 AM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: SHNF 2017 rifle season [Re: Bigfoot] #7061649 02/01/18 04:11 PM
B
brianaustintx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
There are a decent amount of people there, I haven't been there and not seen another car or person at the trailhead or on the trail. Why I've been trying to get out more during the week. And WHOA! That's good to know/have in the back of your mind...just in case. I do always have my 40s&w on my hip, but its fairly visible.

This was to the side of the area that I setup in. So far, I think I found the freshest activity...although it was not much. It looked like they were tearing up some fallen tree, and then off in the distance there was a really fresh looking (to me) spot where they tore into the ground as well. (below)

I could be wrong with my assessment of these being "fresh", but walking the 7 miles I did I noticed a lot of different tracks. Some had the obvious needles that had fallen for days into the ruts and that are dry along the "high ridges" of the rut. Then, I found some that looked a bit more fresh, damp at the bottom of the rut, but the edges were clearly dry. (below)

I did not have much time, I spent about...5miles walking up a forest rd and across the forest trekking the bayou/creeks. When I found the two spots that I thought to be the freshest I found so far, I tried to create a ground blind to hide behind. Then since it was my first time being in that area, and I wanted to make my way to the trail (where-ever it was) before dark I unfortunately wasnt in the area for too long (2.5hrs with setup.) So far thats looked like the most promising area, I might try to go back over the weekend or next week and get there early, walk around the entire wetland/swamp/whatever you'd call it. See if theres any new activity.

-Brian Austin
www.briancaustin.com
Re: SHNF 2017 rifle season [Re: brianaustintx] #7061867 02/01/18 07:12 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
coolpics Some pics remind me of OSBWMA.
Old atv trails could see tons of hog sign. Old saying opinions are like, south end of mule headen north, every one has one, as pappy says: "mine stinks". 2cents most is done at night, under less presure. Archery deer&hogs would set up on areas torn up with hog sign back away from the atv trails, & usually less than 1/2 mile out from parking, seen very few hogs on holf, actual seen more deer.
During the hog only hunts is were did the way back yonder hunts. Park truck & ease threw the woods, off atv trails, find fresh sign & slow down. Alleys carried pen & note book(pocket size) ta write down findings, later got GPS ta write down quardenance. It has better memory copassity.
Weekends lots of orange could be seen, traveling the atv trails, & would often meet hunters walking when back packing a hog out.
Some would ask: were ya get the hog ?
My response was off the trails in the woods. The orange gives the hog or deer advantage, & they CAN learn ta pattern hunters. Weekdays most hunters are at work. Was Blessed ta have job that allowed time ta get some hunting in during week days & area close enough ta hunt. Best wishes. Stay safe, it can be a jungle out their.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: SHNF 2017 rifle season [Re: Bigfoot] #7067910 02/06/18 03:12 PM
B
brianaustintx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Yeah, I am hoping I can venture out again this week. Hoping my Friday remains open so I can check out the spot before the weekend. Thinking I might spend a full day out there, get there around sunrise and leave around sunset. Should be a fairly wet week, hopefully that will help bring out the hogs!

-Brian Austin
www.briancaustin.com
Re: SHNF 2017 rifle season [Re: Bigfoot] #7067990 02/06/18 04:12 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
I have hiked tarkington Bayou several times and that is a good area for pigs. Red rd has some good spots on it however I quit going there because of the people in that area. I have come across a few drug dealers and guys running around covering for these guys. They have made it a point to run me off a few times so I quit going. I dont know if they are growing weed or making crank but lots of scumbag people up to no good around there so be careful. If I were you I would be packing a concealed weapon.

Have heard rumors of the meth labs hidden on WMA, & been ta several. scratch Don't recommend it, huntsolo most of the time, yet always let someone know witch WMA was at, in case of emergency. Some, like uncle Sam's are pretty big.
In different thread, few years back, it was brought up about meth labs & such. It's public land, as said before, hunters are (were) the eyes & ears. Seen on tv of the weed crops being busted on public land. confused2 hunters or illegal drugs.
Always Safer ta hunt with a friend. Stay Safe.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: SHNF 2017 rifle season [Re: Bigfoot] #7079733 02/15/18 05:09 PM
B
brianaustintx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Man, with work and my family just came down to visit with the baby, I haven't been able to head back out since 1/31. But I will finally be able to head back to SHNF tomorrow! Got the monther-in-law coming over the watch the 1.5month old.

It's been about two weeks, curious if the last spot I found is still looking good, or if I will have to find a new spot. I guess the only way to find out is to get there and check it out!

-Brian Austin
www.briancaustin.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide