Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,994
Posts9,719,228
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer #7078475 02/14/18 08:34 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Yes folks, it's gotten this silly. When the ignornant masses get on the bandwagon, there are any number of ridiculous solutions floated.

It's beyond debate that CWD poses a threat to the future of our $1 billion deer hunting resource.
We need a new hammer to hit the disease. A big one. And quick.
Here's an idea: Let's pay hunters and landowners for killing CWD-positive deer.
And let's get serious about it. Let's pay $1,000 to the hunter and $1,000 to the landowner for each sick deer taken off the landscape.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/co...wis/1079938001/

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: therancher] #7078477 02/14/18 08:36 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Remember, the brilliant folks of Wisconsin were the ones who thought they could just kill all the deer with CWD and tried that ignorance for years.

I call it FBS. Frozen Brain Syndrome.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: therancher] #7078483 02/14/18 08:40 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: therancher
Remember, the brilliant folks of Wisconsin were the ones who thought they could just kill all the deer with CWD and tried that ignorance for years.

Absolutely! They depopulated a ton of counties where CWD was present. All these years later, the deer herd in those counties are larger than ever and, while CWD prions remain in the soil, the prevalence and contagious nature of it seems to have declined immensely. Otherwise, there would be no deer in these counties. It's a witch hunt.

Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: therancher] #7078530 02/14/18 09:21 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
hammer

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: therancher] #7078533 02/14/18 09:22 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Let’s kill all the deer before CWD beats us to it.

Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: Sneaky] #7078686 02/14/18 11:14 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
The "how ignorant can I be" sweepstakes are just getting started. Hang on folks, it's gonna be epic.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: therancher] #7079013 02/15/18 03:04 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
So, is this a bigger deal than Y2k?

Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: maximus_flavius] #7080174 02/15/18 10:13 PM
C
Charlieb68 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Probably not, but we will hear about it longer.

Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: Sneaky] #7081803 02/17/18 12:32 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Let’s kill all the deer before CWD beats us to it.

"We had to destroy the village, in order to save it"

If only we had somebody here on the forum to keep us constantly updated with wildly speculative & misleading articles about CWD............

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 02/17/18 12:33 AM.
Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: therancher] #7082521 02/17/18 06:04 PM
T
TexOddball Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Well, I’m willing to pull the pin on this grenade...

Why is this a stupid idea? The CDC says a CWD-infected deer shouldn’t be eaten. If I can’t eat the stupid things, I’m out, deer-hunting is over for me. If I lived in Wisconsin, in an area with high infected rates, I’d be frustrated as all hell if I kept killing deer, using up all my tags, only to find out I couldn’t eat any of it. It would really only take a few instances of that happening for me to hang it up, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who would come to that conclusion. With a decreasing rate of hunters, all the deer that would have been harvested are now staying in the population, reproducing more, and spreading CWD even further.

Is it the amount? Is a thousand-dollar reimbursement for an inedible deer too much? How much is a healthy deer worth? If I go to the grocery store and buy as much beef as I would get venison off a deer, how much would that cost? If I’m not putting venison in the freezer, I end up having to buy meat, which would be even more irritating if I had just bought tags for deer, killed those deer, and then found out I couldn’t eat them. I’d be pissed at the government agency that made me pay for those tags, with those tags meaning a chance at putting a pile of meat in the freezer, and then come to find out the meat is trash. Now I’m out the cost of the tags, and the cost of the meat I’m going to have to buy instead.

How much is a deer really worth? I would think here in Texas, the land of high-fences and monster bucks that might as well have a barcode hanging off their ear, we would really, fully know just how much a deer is worth. No doubt some folks here do.

Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: TexOddball] #7082626 02/17/18 07:25 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: TexOddball

Why is this a stupid idea? The CDC says a CWD-infected deer shouldn’t be eaten. If I can’t eat the stupid things, I’m out, deer-hunting is over for me. If I lived in Wisconsin, in an area with high infected rates, I’d be frustrated as all hell if I kept killing deer, using up all my tags, only to find out I couldn’t eat any of it. It would really only take a few instances of that happening for me to hang it up, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who would come to that conclusion. With a decreasing rate of hunters, all the deer that would have been harvested are now staying in the population, reproducing more, and spreading CWD even further.

Is it the amount? Is a thousand-dollar reimbursement for an inedible deer too much? How much is a healthy deer worth? If I go to the grocery store and buy as much beef as I would get venison off a deer, how much would that cost? If I’m not putting venison in the freezer, I end up having to buy meat, which would be even more irritating if I had just bought tags for deer, killed those deer, and then found out I couldn’t eat them. I’d be pissed at the government agency that made me pay for those tags, with those tags meaning a chance at putting a pile of meat in the freezer, and then come to find out the meat is trash. Now I’m out the cost of the tags, and the cost of the meat I’m going to have to buy instead.

How much is a deer really worth? I would think here in Texas, the land of high-fences and monster bucks that might as well have a barcode hanging off their ear, we would really, fully know just how much a deer is worth. No doubt some folks here do.

1. The assumption that rewarding people to kill infected deer is a “big hammer” is ridiculous. Wisconsin in its infinite ignorance already tried killing ALL deer in the infection zones with absolutely no positive effect. Deer in these zones are back to pre infection pop numbers and still have some level of cwd. The deer recovered on their own. So it’s not a threat to deer populations.

2. The assumption that eating deer meat is a way for humans to contract cwd is based on ridiculous unsubstantiated theories.

3. Where is $2250/infected deer going to come from?? 1000 for the hunter 1000 for the landowner and the cost of testing?!

Again. There has never been a case of a human contracting cwd. There is no valid research that supports even the slightest possibility. And yet you would consider never eating deer meat again??

You and evidently several other folks are easily influenced by suggestion.

So.... studies show that if you don’t give me all your money, you might die before spending it all. I accept PayPal and cash....

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: therancher] #7082774 02/17/18 09:54 PM
T
TexOddball Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T

1. The assumption that rewarding people to kill infected deer is a “big hammer” is ridiculous. Wisconsin in its infinite ignorance already tried killing ALL deer in the infection zones with absolutely no positive effect. Deer in these zones are back to pre infection pop numbers and still have some level of cwd. The deer recovered on their own. So it’s not a threat to deer populations.

2. The assumption that eating deer meat is a way for humans to contract cwd is based on ridiculous unsubstantiated theories.

3. Where is $2250/infected deer going to come from?? 1000 for the hunter 1000 for the landowner and the cost of testing?!

Again. There has never been a case of a human contracting cwd. There is no valid research that supports even the slightest possibility. And yet you would consider never eating deer meat again??

So.... studies show that if you don’t give me all your money, you might die before spending it all. I accept PayPal and cash....

So, the Center for Disease Control is now fake? Ridiculously unsubstantiated, with no valid research?

Here’s the link; https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html

And I’ll copy/paste the two bits that really stand out to me;

“On July 10, 2017, the scientists presented a summary of the study’s progress (access the recorded presentation and slides[PDF 3.88MB]), in which they showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Some of the meat came from asymptomatic deer that had CWD (i.e. deer that appeared healthy and had not begun to show signs of the illness yet). Meat from these asymptomatic deer was also able to infect the monkeys with CWD.”

“If your animal tests positive for CWD, do not eat meat from that animal.”

That’s it. Until we know more, infected animals should not be eaten.

I couldn’t help but notice the link in your post signature. Might I be correct in assuming you have a vested interest in minimizing the dangers of a disease that would lessen the value of whitetails?

Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: therancher] #7082811 02/17/18 10:23 PM
F
flounder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
re-Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer

Durkin: Stop private deer industry from trucking CWD across state

Patrick Durkin, For USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin Published 10:13 a.m. CT Feb. 16, 2018

A Waupaca County captive-deer shooting preserve that discovered its first two cases of chronic wasting disease in October found 10 more CWD cases last fall, with 11 of the deer coming from a breeding facility in Iowa County — Wisconsin’s most infected county.

Hunt’s End Deer Ranch near Ogdensburg is one of 376 fenced deer farms in Wisconsin, according to the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. Hunt’s End bought the diseased deer from Windy Ridge Whitetails, a 15-acre, 110-deer breeding facility south of Mineral Point in Iowa County. Of Wisconsin’s 4,175 CWD cases in wild deer, 2,261 (54 percent) are in Iowa County.

Since CWD’s discovery in three wild deer shot during the November 2001 gun season, CWD has been detected on 18 Wisconsin deer farms, of which 11 were “depopulated.” DATCP has identified 242 CWD cases in captive facilities the past 16 years.

The state’s worst site remains the former Buckhorn Flats Game Farm near Almond in Portage County, where 80 deer tested positive for this always-fatal disease from 2002 to 2006. When the U.S. Department of Agriculture shot out the 70-acre pen in January 2006, 60 of the remaining 76 deer carried CWD, a nearly 80 percent infection rate.

The Department of Natural Resources bought the heavily contaminated site for $465,000 in 2011 and has kept it fenced and deer-free since.

The last time DATCP exterminated a captive herd was November 2015, when it killed 228 deer at Fairchild Whitetails, a 10-acre breeding facility in Eau Claire County, and paid its owner, Richard Vojtik, $298,770 in compensation. Tests revealed 34 of those deer carried CWD (15 percent), but two bucks had escaped earlier. Those bucks roamed five months before being shot and tested. They, too, had CWD.

Both operations were outside the endemic CWD region in southern Wisconsin; Buckhorn Flats by about 60 miles and Fairchild Whitetails by about 120. Wisconsin’s four most active CWD outbreaks on deer farms are north of U.S. 10, and farther away from the endemic region — basically the DNR’s Southern Farmlands district — which had 584 CWD cases 2017-18 and 4,148 since 2001.

Those businesses are:

• Wilderness Whitetails, near Eland in Marathon County: 68 CWD cases, including 43 in 2017-18. DATCP first reported CWD there in December 2013 in a 5-year-old buck shot by a facility client. The operation also found three cases in 2014, nine in 2015 and 12 in 2016.

The preserve held about 310 deer in its 351-acre pen last summer. Since beginning tests in 2002, the facility tested 373 deer before finding its first case 11 years later.

• Hunt’s End, Waupaca County: 12 cases, all in 2017-18. The owners, Dusty and Mandy Reid, didn’t detect CWD on the 84-acre shooting facility until two 4-year-old bucks tested positive last fall. DATCP announced those cases Oct. 20, and disclosed 10 additional cases in response to my open-records request in January.

Both Oct. 20 bucks originated from Windy Ridge Whitetails. Nine other bucks from Windy Ridge, owned by Steven and Marsh Bertram, tested positive for CWD after being shot by Hunt’s End clients.

Now DATCP records covering the past five years showed Hunt’s End acquired 31 deer from Windy Ridge, which also sent a combined 67 whitetails to nine other Wisconsin deer farms during that period.

Paul McGraw, DATCP’s state veterinarian and administrator in animal health, quarantined three Hunt’s End properties Oct. 20, but let its owners, continue selling hunts because “properly handled dead animals leaving the premises do not pose a disease risk.”

McGraw also quarantined Windy Ridge, but the specifications let the business move more deer to the Waupaca shooting facility. It made two more shipments to Hunt’s End, the last occurring Nov. 13.

• Apple Creek Whitetails, Oconto County: 11 cases. Since discovering CWD in September 2016 in an 18-month-old doe killed inside the facility near Gillett, DATCP has identified 10 more cases, including three in 2017-18. The preserve held about 1,850 deer on 1,363 acres, and tested 466 in 2016. After first testing for CWD in 2009, the business processed 1,192 deer before finding its first case 18 months ago.

• Three Lakes Trophy Ranch, Oneida County: Nine cases. Since discovering CWD in December 2015 in a 3-year-old buck at Three Lakes, DATCP has identified eight more cases, including two in 2017-18. The preserve held about 545 whitetails on 570 acres.

Although the Hunt’s End outbreak traces to Iowa County deer, Windy Ridge Whitetails sent even more deer, 42, to Vojtik’s American Adventures Ranch near Fairchild with no documented problems. DATCP reports no CWD cases there, and Vojtik, who also owned the 10-acre Fairchild Whitetails breeding facility, said he hasn’t bought Windy Ridge deer the past two years.

Vojtik said Wednesday that he and his clients shoot out his enclosure’s herd of about 200 deer each year to reduce CWD risks. And because he’s not in DATCP’s herd-status program, he must only test 50 percent of deer dying there.

Meanwhile, Wilderness Whitetails tests all of its dead deer. It leads the state with 68 CWD cases, even though it has maintained a “closed herd” since opening its Eland facility in 2004, said its owner, Greg Flees, when reached Wednesday. Flees said all deer in the 351-acre facility were born there or came from his family’s Portage County breeding pen, which began in the 1970s and has never had CWD.

Flees said the jump from 12 CWD cases in 2016 to 43 in 2017 is no mystery or surprise. “We shot more deer to lower our densities, so we found more CWD,” he said. He thinks CWD was in the facility’s soils when they enclosed it with an 8-foot-high fence 14 years ago, or it arrived in alfalfa bales brought in for feed.

Perhaps the bigger mystery is why DATCP allows any deer from Iowa County to be shipped anywhere. Windy Ridge Whitetails is one of eight captive-deer facilities in CWD-infected counties — Sauk, Dane, Iowa, Rock, Walworth and Richland — enrolled in DATCP’s herd-status program, which allows deer transfers if facilities follow specified guidelines.

That won’t change soon, either. In a letter Jan. 30 responding to my open records request, Paul Dedinsky, DATCP’s chief legal counsel, wrote, “The Department is not proposing any rule changes to prohibit movement from CWD endemic areas.”

No doubt Wisconsin’s wild deer provide a vast, mostly undocumented pool for spreading CWD, but sick deer can only carry disease as far as they walk. With DATCP’s approval, privately owned deer could spread CWD wherever they’re trucked.

Patrick Durkin is a freelance writer who covers outdoors for USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin. Email him at patrickdurkin56@gmail.com.

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/sto...tate/342532002/

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2018

Wisconsin Deer from Now-Quarantined PA Lancaster County Farm Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2018/02/wisconsin-deer-from-now-quarantined-pa.html

FRIDAY, JANUARY 26, 2018

WISCONSIN REPORTS 588 CWD TSE PRION POSITIVE CASES FOR 2017 WITH 4170 CASES CONFIRMED TO DATE

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2018/01/wisconsin-reports-588-cwd-tse-prion.html

kind regards, terry

Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: TexOddball] #7082813 02/17/18 10:30 PM
F
flounder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F

So, the Center for Disease Control is now fake? Ridiculously unsubstantiated, with no valid research?

“On July 10, 2017, the scientists presented a summary of the study’s progress (access the recorded presentation and slides[PDF 3.88MB]), in which they showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Some of the meat came from asymptomatic deer that had CWD (i.e. deer that appeared healthy and had not begun to show signs of the illness yet). Meat from these asymptomatic deer was also able to infect the monkeys with CWD.”

I couldn’t help but notice the link in your post signature. Might I be correct in assuming you have a vested interest in minimizing the dangers of a disease that would lessen the value of whitetails?

''I couldn’t help but notice the link in your post signature. Might I be correct in assuming you have a vested interest in minimizing the dangers of a disease that would lessen the value of whitetails?''

amen, you bet every word from the so called 'the rancher', is junk science, BSe as i call it. it's seriously laughable. just more proof that the deer industry here in Texas will risk it all, all for a buck$$$

Re: Wisconsin considering paying for killing CWD positive deer [Re: TexOddball] #7084010 02/19/18 12:32 AM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T

I have mine. You have yours.

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelease/sm...wasting_disease

Crotchety old bastidge
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide