T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Are you looking for mainly mast crop or browse also? I know that hackberry and western soapberry grow up in that area from when I hunted at Jayton. Four-wing saltbush and vine ephedra also grows up in that area. Might check with Turner Seed Co in Breckenridge to see what seeds they have available. I know they had Four-wing Saltbush at one time. I would also contact the local NCRS agent and get his help. Many of them will help you find seed or plant sources in some areas. If Steve Nelle is still with the NRCS in San Angelo I would call him and get his feedback on what to plant. Moisture and soil quality will be two big hurdles up there. I would also suggest whatever you plant to do small enclosed areas to plant them in....like a 4"x4" 5'-6' tall by 20' long panel bent into a circle then tposted in place. That way your seedlings get a head start. I would do several of them as test plantings then move the panels to new areas with the stronger plants.

I am looking for anything to improve my place and make it more attractive for the wildlife (mainly deer) My place is probably 80% cedars with the rest mesquites. I have several acre or two food plots(no rain this year didn't help). I don't necessarily need everything thing I add to produce just for hunting season. I do have access to water so I could water new trees to help them get established the first year. Any thing else you might recommend, I'm all ears.

You would probably be much better dozing or turning up some of that forest and turning it into field...just weedy nasty field full of forbs and the deer will love it. Don't plant anything in it and let the natural stuff grow. Too much woody stuff is bad, but that probably won't be present much in the first year or two anyway. You could do small patches of cedars at first to where you end up with some good cover and forbs fields.

But think about it, with 80% cedars, the deer have no reason to come onto your place. Those are not good for cover or food sources. If you improve that, you will likely improve your deer. Trees won't be a magnet for about 75% of the year...a good cover field with forbs will.

Re: Trees for deer [Re: Texas buckeye] #7078191 02/14/18 04:29 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Are you looking for mainly mast crop or browse also? I know that hackberry and western soapberry grow up in that area from when I hunted at Jayton. Four-wing saltbush and vine ephedra also grows up in that area. Might check with Turner Seed Co in Breckenridge to see what seeds they have available. I know they had Four-wing Saltbush at one time. I would also contact the local NCRS agent and get his help. Many of them will help you find seed or plant sources in some areas. If Steve Nelle is still with the NRCS in San Angelo I would call him and get his feedback on what to plant. Moisture and soil quality will be two big hurdles up there. I would also suggest whatever you plant to do small enclosed areas to plant them in....like a 4"x4" 5'-6' tall by 20' long panel bent into a circle then tposted in place. That way your seedlings get a head start. I would do several of them as test plantings then move the panels to new areas with the stronger plants.

I am looking for anything to improve my place and make it more attractive for the wildlife (mainly deer) My place is probably 80% cedars with the rest mesquites. I have several acre or two food plots(no rain this year didn't help). I don't necessarily need everything thing I add to produce just for hunting season. I do have access to water so I could water new trees to help them get established the first year. Any thing else you might recommend, I'm all ears.

You would probably be much better dozing or turning up some of that forest and turning it into field...just weedy nasty field full of forbs and the deer will love it. Don't plant anything in it and let the natural stuff grow. Too much woody stuff is bad, but that probably won't be present much in the first year or two anyway. You could do small patches of cedars at first to where you end up with some good cover and forbs fields.

But think about it, with 80% cedars, the deer have no reason to come onto your place. Those are not good for cover or food sources. If you improve that, you will likely improve your deer. Trees won't be a magnet for about 75% of the year...a good cover field with forbs will.

I do have a lot of cedar but also have a relatively high number of deer for my area so I guess the cedars are not keeping them away. A lot of my property is sloping and rocky ground as it makes it's way to the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos river. I realize trees only provide nutrition for part of the year and I'm okay with that. I'm just always looking for ways to make improvements on my place even if they won't benefit me in the short term.

Re: Trees for deer [Re: westtexaswatkins] #7078207 02/14/18 04:49 PM
W
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
stxranchman, Do you know what kind of bush this is? The berry's are pretty small. I watched a young buck eat from here for quite a while last spring.

Re: Trees for deer [Re: westtexaswatkins] #7078244 02/14/18 05:18 PM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
stxranchman, Do you know what kind of bush this is? The berry's are pretty small. I watched a young buck eat from here for quite a while. That looks like chaparral

Re: Trees for deer [Re: dogcatcher] #7078353 02/14/18 06:55 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Pecan trees should do fine in that area. If you have any creeks, I would plant along the creek banks, so they get maximized water results "if and when" it rains. Deer go after pecans like they do acorns.

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Trees for deer [Re: westtexaswatkins] #7079482 02/15/18 02:04 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
best time to plant is in the fall if you can find the stock

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Trees for deer [Re: westtexaswatkins] #7079495 02/15/18 02:11 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
stxranchman, Do you know what kind of bush this is? The berry's are pretty small. I watched a young buck eat from here for quite a while last spring.

http://rangeplants.tamu.edu/plant/chittamwood-bumelia/

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Trees for deer [Re: stxranchman] #7079648 02/15/18 04:12 PM
W
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W

http://rangeplants.tamu.edu/plant/chittamwood-bumelia/

Thank you sir.

Re: Trees for deer [Re: westtexaswatkins] #7079777 02/15/18 05:31 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Here s what worked really well for me

Pear trees (5 20-40 ft tall ) they eat leaves and fruit
Rasberries ( massive brush). Attract them but not much damage done
Grapes ( muscadine , Glenora). They eat leaves and fruit
Post oaks ( my land is loaded with this gem , acorn galore )

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide