6258128 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7075463 - 02/12/18 09:54 AM Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal
Outdoor Legacy Gear Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Appleby, TX
Hey guys I figured I'd post this up for your viewing pleasure. I shot this hog a back in January. I'll post my video description from Youtube because it tells the story pretty well.

This 175 lb East Texas wild hog didn't take kindly to being shot with a .300blk and decided to put a full on charge straight towards me. The first shot was at 45 yards and even with only 3 good legs you can see he covered that ground very quickly. I shot as quickly and accurately as possible and in the slow-motion portion, you can see I delivered some really good hits and then I missed several times but I got back on him as he was at point blank range. I moved out of the way at the very last second as he hit the right leg of my bipod and I continued to shoot as he fell 3 steps from me. You can see I had to move backwards to get him in the sight picture of my scope as he was hitting the ground by me.

It was 23 degrees that evening and I was testing out the new FLIR ThermoSight Pro PTS233 thermal rifle scope and I have to admit, I think it performed extremely well for a $2,200 thermal scope, not much more I could ask for in a situation like this. I'm thankful this ordeal ended the way it did, it could have gone much worse.

**For those who are surely going to be offended by the graphic nature of this video when the hog is laying on the ground, let me be clear, I shot him repeatedly to try to kill him. Also once the hog is on the ground, the video was cut and trimmed multiple times to save time. I edited out a bunch more shooting that you don't get to see. I was doing all I could to kill this hog and not run completely out of ammo since I was 1/4 mile from my house. In all, including what was cut out and after the video stops, I shot this hog 20 times with a .300blk and 11 times with a .380 with hollow points. Yes I know that a .380 isn't a hog caliber but I just happen to have my Glock 42 on my waist and admittedly I don't always carry a sidearm when hog hunting, even though I know I should. After this, I've been more conscience of it!

Sorry I have to add that disclaimer but I've been getting some flack here and there about me not killing the hog fast enough and trust me fellas, I wanted him to die but he was having none of it.

- Jason

Turn on your sound!

Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
Pulsar, Sightmark, FLIR/Armasight, Trijicon & More
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

#7075478 - 02/12/18 10:05 AM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
Retired Sgt. Gilliam Offline
Tracker

Loc: Pittsburg Tx
Hogs are tough. Good job

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

#7075481 - 02/12/18 10:06 AM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
Pig_Popper Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
What bullet was loaded in the 300 BO , factory or reloads ?

That was a close call

#7075508 - 02/12/18 10:22 AM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Over yonder.....
That’ll get your blood pressure up....

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#7075594 - 02/12/18 11:25 AM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Pig_Popper]
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper

That was a close call

Too close to comfort! Those were Hornady .300blk 110gr V-Max

- Jason

OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

#7075613 - 02/12/18 11:40 AM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
Pig_Popper Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
Originally Posted By: Outdoor Legacy Gear
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper

That was a close call

Too close to comfort! Those were Hornady .300blk 110gr V-Max

- Jason

Hornady should consider putting a statement on that load “Tickles Hogs”

#7075670 - 02/12/18 12:11 PM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
I am still trying to figure out why you didn't just walk around to the other side of the hog and put a bullet in his brain instead of shooting him repeatedly over an extended period of time.

#7075747 - 02/12/18 01:06 PM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
chalet Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: North Side of the Metromess
Edit. That was pretty close. I have had them run by close enough to just about slap in the head, it will get your blood going for sure.

Edited by chalet (02/12/18 01:07 PM)

#7075760 - 02/12/18 01:16 PM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Fairfax, VA
You have to keep shooting until THEY know they are dead.
-- Confucius

#7075797 - 02/12/18 01:57 PM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mesquite, Tx
Too close for comfort. I would switch to the Barnes Tac TX vs. a Varmint bullet.

#7075886 - 02/12/18 03:25 PM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
Bar-D Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: The Lone Star State
Trying to git all up in yo bidness!

#7075895 - 02/12/18 03:33 PM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
der Teufel Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
That hog took a lotta lead!

I probably would have cut out most of the thrashing in the video, but it shows how tough some hogs can be.

#7075902 - 02/12/18 03:41 PM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I am still trying to figure out why you didn't just walk around to the other side of the hog and put a bullet in his brain instead of shooting him repeatedly over an extended period of time.

As I said in my long intro up above, you aren't seeing the whole unedited video. You are seeing a video that was cut and edited for time and even at that it is still boringly long. I am of the belief that a .300blk bullet fired from 15 ft into the head of the hog will reach the brain. But, as you suggested, I also walked up directly over the hog and shot him in the head from both sides and directly between the eyes with my .380, otherwise known as a pea shooter. I also shot him from those angles with the .300blk. Again, as I mentioned above I shot him 11 times in the head with the .380 and I shot (at least) 20 rounds of .300blk at him. Granted, I realize several of those missed while he was running at me but when he was laying on the ground, I was absolutely hitting him. When I moved him there were gallons of blood. His head was like jello.

The point I'm making is.....trust me on this....I couldn't make this hog realize he was dead. Every time I'd think he was dead he'd start thrashing around again. I called a friend while I was still down there and while I was on the phone with him I repeatedly walked up to the hog and shot him squarely in the head at least 4-5 times and I was close enough that I had blood blow back on my pants and rifle. Again, I'm not sure what else I could have done but as you suggested, I did walk around and shot him from every angle with the only two firearms I had with me. I just didn't show every single shot fired in the video above.

I did all I could do with the firearms I had on my person. And yes I know, a .50 BMG would have solved the problem on the first shot. cool

- Jason

OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

#7075909 - 02/12/18 03:50 PM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: der Teufel]
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: der Teufel
That hog took a lotta lead!

I probably would have cut out most of the thrashing in the video, but it shows how tough some hogs can be.

In retrospect I would have too, I won't make the mistake again. I figured it would only upset the libs but I've been proven wrong on that by the comments on Youtube that I had to delete. I thought it would prove how tough and dangerous these darn hogs can really be but in another forum, it just turned into a caliber/bullet choice debate. I even had a guy call and tell me that anyone who shoots a hog with anything less than a .45-70 is a moron and that a .308 won't kill a hog. Then on the other extreme I had a guy tell me he shoots hogs "all the time" with a .17 and he's never had one take a single step...ever. So you know what, you are right, I think next time I'll cut out that part of the video. grin grin

- Jason

OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

#7076003 - 02/12/18 05:09 PM Re: Video: Hog charges while hunting w/thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy Gear]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
I don't know that s VMAX fired atound the head area will reach the brain like you showed in the video. I did not see any shots that I thought would actually go into the brain had they penetrated. And while you may have aimed in the correct area being that close your bullets would have been hitting low of your point of aim. In short you obviously we're not hitting the brain.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide