Forums46
Topics537,924
Posts9,730,736
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: Texas Dan] #7075908 02/12/18 09:50 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I have a hard time seeing anything that is meant to be collectible as special. And I don’t particularly see it as an heirloom either. It’s special because they tell you it is, not because it actually is.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: SapperTitan] #7075943 02/12/18 10:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Why on earth would anyone buy a gun just to put it in a safe and never plan to use it?

Good question.

IMO, the guns a person leaves behind says a lot about the person's outdoor interests and may also reflect on their overall success in life. They demonstrate a person's ability to acquire items of quality and performance, along with their dedication to care for and maintain that which they own. I have rifles in my safe that I take the woods often, and one or two others that I have taken a single deer and may never remove from the safe again. They and the box they each came in will go to a family member who will hopefully take equal pride in owning them. And that may require passing them down when I can no longer use and care for them in the proper way.

Simply put, I want my guns to tell my kids I worked hard to buy the best I could afford and made sure I took good care of everything I owned.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/12/18 11:53 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: Texas Dan] #7076060 02/12/18 11:57 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Special is what you make it. That is a nice rifle and with or without some history it would make a nice one to pass down.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: SapperTitan] #7076148 02/13/18 12:57 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Why on earth would anyone buy a gun just to put it in a safe and never plan to use it?

Why would anyone buy a painting just to hang it on the wall and look at it?

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: SapperTitan] #7076168 02/13/18 01:03 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R

As an investment. I saw a shotgun at Cabela's Fort Worth a couple of years ago that had a price tag with $125,000 written on it. I'd wager that the guy who bought it paid a bit less than that, but expects it to be worth several thousand more than he paid for it somewhere down the road. I have no way of knowing, but I'll bet it's now in a safe or a vault somewhere now and probably never has had a shotshell in either of its chambers.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: Texas Dan] #7076178 02/13/18 01:10 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Some people don’t get it. That’s fine. Others do, and that is also fine. Variety is the spice of life. I thoroughly enjoy beautiful firearms. I don’t need any justification for their purchase or amount of use. Some day, my boys will squabble over what little I’ve left behind for them. If I have succeeded in their raising, they’ll have a similar mindset towards inheritance as I do, in that they only care about the guns. When a man takes a rifle afield and proudly proclaims it as his fathers, it should be a nice looking weapon, I think. I have a rifle to fit that bill, and now that I think about it, I had better acquire 3 more, at least. There’s no telling how many more stray kids my wife will drag into our home.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: Sneaky] #7076192 02/13/18 01:18 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Some people don’t get it. That’s fine. Others do, and that is also fine. Variety is the spice of life. I thoroughly enjoy beautiful firearms. I don’t need any justification for their purchase or amount of use. Some day, my boys will squabble over what little I’ve left behind for them. If I have succeeded in their raising, they’ll have a similar mindset towards inheritance as I do, in that they only care about the guns. When a man takes a rifle afield and proudly proclaims it as his fathers, it should be a nice looking weapon, I think. I have a rifle to fit that bill, and now that I think about it, I had better acquire 3 more, at least. There’s no telling how many more stray kids my wife will drag into our home.

Yup. I grew up looking at rifles and shotguns in a gunrack. When I'm not hunting, I enjoy shooting them. If I'm not shooting, I can enjoy looking at them. To me there's a lot more to gun ownership than what it does when you pull the trigger. The whole experience, from smelling Hoppe's No.9 in my gun room to walking up and surveying a kill, is what I love about this hobby.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: Sneaky] #7076329 02/13/18 02:42 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

Classic.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: Sneaky] #7076333 02/13/18 02:45 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

IDK ive never purchased a painting.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: Texas Dan] #7076337 02/13/18 02:48 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Good question.

IMO, the guns a person leaves behind says a lot about the person's outdoor interests and may also reflect on their overall success in life. They demonstrate a person's ability to acquire items of quality and performance, along with their dedication to care for and maintain that which they own. I have rifles in my safe that I take the woods often, and one or two others that I have taken a single deer and may never remove from the safe again. They and the box they each came in will go to a family member who will hopefully take equal pride in owning them. And that may require passing them down when I can no longer use and care for them in the proper way.

Simply put, I want my guns to tell my kids I worked hard to buy the best I could afford and made sure I took good care of everything I owned.

I want my son to look at my guns and say "Damn, dad got everything he could out of these tools."

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: Texas Dan] #7076342 02/13/18 02:53 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I want whoever ends up with my guns to say "damn, these are in fine shape considering he owned these for 140 years!"

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: Texas Dan] #7082177 02/17/18 12:40 PM
M
Mike Mathena Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
It's a nice rifle but i don't think its worth 2k. I don't understand buying a rifle to keep in a safe, i have rifles that will be handed down..... with stories about the hunting trips they have been on and the animals "papaw" has taken with them.

Go get in the woods
Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf [Re: Texas Dan] #7082677 02/17/18 08:35 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Rolex vs Timex

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread