45 Forums
448706 Topics
6199582 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#7071132 - 02/08/18 04:11 PM Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner
DuckKiller2010 Offline
Tracker

Which do you prefer? As a kid growing up, dad never cleaned the brass. We just wiped it off, lubed it, ran through the die, reprimed, trimmed, and loaded with powder and bullet. Never had a problem with his way and always had good, tight groups on our hunting loads. Trying to figure out if I want to spend the money to buy the rotary cleaner.

#7071746 - 02/09/18 07:23 AM Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: DuckKiller2010]
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Stratford Texas
that's a personal choice, if your doing what your Dad did and your happy don't change, I like to clean mine, cuz it's part of the therapy of reloading.

#7071854 - 02/09/18 08:29 AM Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: DuckKiller2010]
Cast Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
I moved up from a vibe to a tumbler, then went up again to SS media. That the best way IMO.

Your brass doesn't have to shine, just clean is all it needs, but we're men and shiny stuff is good stuff.

I have a short attention spa

#7071932 - 02/09/18 09:14 AM Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: DuckKiller2010]
Bar-D Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: The Lone Star State
I have used a Thumler's Tumbler for over 30 years and see no reason to change. IMO, the vibratory cleaners make too much noise. It's kinda like fingernails on a blackboard for me. If the brass is tarnished and I want it to shine, I soak it in a mix of hot water, a little dish soap and about a tablespoon of Lemishine. Spread it out on a towel to dry, then tumble. It comes out looking like new brass.

Edited by bar-d (02/09/18 09:16 AM)

#7071961 - 02/09/18 09:36 AM Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: Cast]
TackDriver Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Cast
I moved up from a vibe to a tumbler, then went up again to SS media. That the best way IMO.

Your brass doesn't have to shine, just clean is all it needs, but we're men and shiny stuff is good stuff.

Hey Cast, you mentioned you went from a tumbler to SS, may I ask if you seen any accuracy changes while changing? Concerned if bare brass on necks changes the grip on the bullet compared to when having carbon on the necks.

#7071998 - 02/09/18 09:53 AM Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: TackDriver]
Judd Online   content

Loc: Sachse, TX
Originally Posted By: TackDriver

Hey Cast, you mentioned you went from a tumbler to SS, may I ask if you seen any accuracy changes while changing? Concerned if bare brass on necks changes the grip on the bullet compared to when having carbon on the necks.

It definitely does. I used to tumble...can't remember the last time I tumbled a piece of brass. I have come to the conclusion nothing good can happen while beating your brass around against themselves.

There are reasons I would...like if I got a new batch of range brass that looked like crap or something...but I'd only do it once.

#7072095 - 02/09/18 11:00 AM Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: Judd]
TackDriver Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Judd

It definitely does. I used to tumble...can't remember the last time I tumbled a piece of brass. I have come to the conclusion nothing good can happen while beating your brass around against themselves.

There are reasons I would...like if I got a new batch of range brass that looked like crap or something...but I'd only do it once.

I remembered shooting a superb half inch load at 300 yards with vibratory tumbled brass, which leaves a little carbon on the necks, and used the same load with SS tumble, and the SS tumbled load shot like crap.

#7072297 - 02/09/18 02:16 PM Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: TackDriver]
Judd Online   content

Loc: Sachse, TX
Originally Posted By: Judd

I remembered shooting a superb half inch load at 300 yards with vibratory tumbled brass, which leaves a little carbon on the necks, and used the same load with SS tumble, and the SS tumbled load shot like crap.

up

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide