Print Thread
OnX mapping App? #7065008 02/04/18 07:57 AM
L
LuckyVictim Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Anyone use the OnX mapping app, or something similar, that could provide some experience? Seems a bit pricey, but planning a hunt to Wyoming were staying on public land could be tricky.
Usually, I use a trusty Garmin to find my way back, not sure how I feel about using my phone.

"Sometimes hunting isn't about hunting at all"
Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: LuckyVictim] #7065183 02/04/18 03:16 PM
D
DOD Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I use the ONX maps, but bought the sd microchip to put in my Garmin. I have Colorado and New Mexico and they work great that way. I would go to their website and see if your Garmin is compatible with the SD microchip?

Founding Member of the 7MM STW Club
Member Cull Hunting Association
Best times that I have had has been fishing/hunting with my wife and daughter
Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: LuckyVictim] #7065478 02/04/18 07:13 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Funny, Im currently testing it out right now. Doing a Colorado hunt next year and in the same boat.
I downloaded the free trial and saved a map of the area in East Texas i have my lease. Went out yesterday with my son, turned phone on airplane and went for a hike to see how it did.
In total we only did 1.65 miles (rained on us the whole time). For the most part, it was pretty cool. I was playing around on the map and saw the very odd clearing in the middle of the timber forest, checked the private land layering and found out it's not part of the lease. It tracked our average speed, time hiking, and in looking at it right now it even shows which side of the logging road we walked on to and from the jeep. While I was using it, it seemed a little "off" with where I was. While standing still, my location was rotating in a circle when I zoomed all the way in. It was only a difference in location of about 5 feet, so in a wide open area like Wyoming you'd never even notice - but at my hunting lease if Im 4 ft off a "trail", I could pretty easily get turned around it's so thick in areas.
Thinking about it, I like it and will probably pony up for it but not 100% sold I'll not be buying a Garmin too when I head to CO.

The pro's are that it's already on you (no additional equipment), and has a lot of features I can see being really helpful. It's about as accurate as it can be considering, and works without service.

Cons are that it's on your phone so it's draining the battery, and (I've got an iphone) the phone isnt nearly as hardy as a Garmin would be - not water proof, or bomb proof. I didnt really like pulling my phone out every few minutes to check it out while it was raining hard. I'd have not had any concern doing that with a dedicated GPS.

Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: LuckyVictim] #7065503 02/04/18 07:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
The onX app is all I use now. The Layer ability makes it a lot more useful then the chips.

I’ve used it in CO, Idaho, NM, and Okla.

I still have my Montana 600 but It seldom leaves the truck. I have an Inreach so the Onxap app pairs well since I’m already taking my phone.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: LuckyVictim] #7065509 02/04/18 07:39 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
BOBO, which Garmin do you have? Do all of the OnX apps have the information about whose land you are on or if you are on private land? Sorry I reread your post I see you have the Montana 600.

Last edited by DLALLDER; 02/04/18 07:41 PM.

Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: LuckyVictim] #7065549 02/04/18 08:24 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
OnX is great when it comes to land ownership and property boundaries. I can see where it can be a great advantage when a deer crosses onto another property. the landowner is right there on the map. In states with a lot of public lands it is great for knowing your limitations, trails, and distance. I used it for a 480 yard shot on a hog. I did not have a range finder but was able to determine distance using the app.
I use it mostly for walking a grid when shed hunting and tracking a deer that has not left a blood trail.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: DLALLDER] #7065562 02/04/18 08:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
BOBO, which Garmin do you have? Do all of the OnX apps have the information about whose land you are on or if you are on private land? Sorry I reread your post I see you have the Montana 600.

The premium version gives you the ability to run any five states combination you want.

Layers- breif summary—
Private
Public
Trails(even shows color changes for difficulty as you gain or desend)
Trail heads
Burns
Roads
Last logging activity
Satellite
Combo satellite/topo
Private walk-in areas.
Etc

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: LuckyVictim] #7065720 02/04/18 10:46 PM
K
KeyLymePie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Ive been using OnX this season and really like it. The ability to track your hunt, mark waypoints and view public/private land boundaries is really handy. I use it on my phone which has worked well but I do still carry a compass since thats much quicker to get a quick bearing.

Also if cost is a concern there are quite a few other map programs out there that are supposed to be pretty good and a bit cheaper. I havent tried one yet, and Im happy enough with OnX that I doubt I will but if you arent using a map app yet Id recommend looking into them too.

Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: LuckyVictim] #7066750 02/05/18 05:16 PM
T
Team HUNT Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Awesome to hear how you all have been using the app for each of your hunts!
A lot of people are moving towards using their phone as their primary unit as it has a lot more information in it and the GPS location is just as accurate as the unit.
Like mentioned above, the main concern people have is battery life; throwing your phone in airplane mode is the biggest battery saver I'd say, here are some additional battery saving tips Smartphone battery saving tips
I'd be happy to answer any other questions!

Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: LuckyVictim] #7066910 02/05/18 07:25 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
2cents Tribute ta the men & women of our armed forces. up
On other side of coin, GPS done away with easiest money made, meter reader, it was faster.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: LuckyVictim] #7069045 02/07/18 07:10 AM
N
nuprofessor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
OnX works great unless you want to know the names of the property owners around you. I purchased my acreage in April 2011 and they still list my property as "NO KNOWN OWNER". Neighbor sold his property about a year and a half after I bought mine and the app still lists his name.

CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE FOR TOMORROW. INVEST IN TOMORROW BY TAKING A CHILD HUNTING OR FISHING TODAY.
Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: nuprofessor] #7069295 02/07/18 02:47 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: nuprofessor
OnX works great unless you want to know the names of the property owners around you. I purchased my acreage in April 2011 and they still list my property as "NO KNOWN OWNER". Neighbor sold his property about a year and a half after I bought mine and the app still lists his name.

In Texas I’ve have great luck even with property ownership updates and satellite photos updating. Last three years it’s showed where I cheated on food plots bang kind of funny.

I bought out a 120 quarter section in Oklahoma and it took about 1.5 years update. My guess it has to do with how the country supplies the records. If they are with the times and internet based probably an easier data mine

Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: LuckyVictim] #7069336 02/07/18 03:11 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Man it has paid off twice for me. Once in Montana we were hunting a management unit and would drive past this farm every day. It had a huge alfalfa field and was loaded with deer. We weren’t seeing anything great in the area we were hunting so while sitting on a bluff I loaded the section of map near there and found the farm is on a river and the river bank bordering the farm had a huge triangle of public land. Just down stream was a road crossing and we found we could hug the river to get to the triangle of public that was the back side of the alfalfa. We crept in that evening and came over this huge bluff. There were deer bedded there. We glassed and took our pick. I shot the first one and they all stood up and my brother shot his.
We got soaked getting them out but it was well worth it. We tied a rope to them and tossed em in the river. We walked them down stream like puppys.

Just recently we went pheasent hunting in Kansas and used the Onyx maps and Sat maps to study the land and where to hunt. We found a few really good walk in areas and it was super late season to boot. Ended up killing a few but getting on lots

Last edited by Wacm; 02/07/18 03:13 PM.
Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: nuprofessor] #7069411 02/07/18 04:13 PM
T
Team HUNT Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Originally Posted By: nuprofessor

Sorry to hear you've had issues. Unfortunately some counties are slower to update their digitized system than others and our data can only be as accurate as the information we receive from them. We update on a yearly basis and as long as they get that info updated on their end, we will get it updated within a year. You can also send any specific properties over to us with any pictures/info to help@onxmaps.com so we can look into it further and have more pressure to put on the counties to get those updated

Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: Wacm] #7069413 02/07/18 04:14 PM
T
Team HUNT Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Originally Posted By: Wacm
Man it has paid off twice for me. Once in Montana we were hunting a management unit and would drive past this farm every day. It had a huge alfalfa field and was loaded with deer. We weren’t seeing anything great in the area we were hunting so while sitting on a bluff I loaded the section of map near there and found the farm is on a river and the river bank bordering the farm had a huge triangle of public land. Just down stream was a road crossing and we found we could hug the river to get to the triangle of public that was the back side of the alfalfa. We crept in that evening and came over this huge bluff. There were deer bedded there. We glassed and took our pick. I shot the first one and they all stood up and my brother shot his.
We got soaked getting them out but it was well worth it. We tied a rope to them and tossed em in the river. We walked them down stream like puppys.

Just recently we went pheasent hunting in Kansas and used the Onyx maps and Sat maps to study the land and where to hunt. We found a few really good walk in areas and it was super late season to boot. Ended up killing a few but getting on lots

That's awesome! Good work on those trips!

Re: OnX mapping App? [Re: Team HUNT] #7069484 02/07/18 05:05 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Team Hunt - how often do you update your satellite maps? The lease I have in E Texas is Timber Land, so the lumber company can come in really at any time and clear out a huge section of the property and really change the landscape. This actually happened to me last year between visits. I've not seen the images updated from last Summers clear cut, so just curious is this is something done once a year or every couple of years?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide