Forum Stats
63857 Members
45 Forums
418673 Topics
6067414 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7063983 - 02/02/18 11:39 PM All Terrain Tires, which one's?
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
I will be needing a new set of all terrain tires soon. I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 TRX 4x4. I mainly drive on pavement, but want decent off road ability. I don't need a mud terrain, but want a semi aggressive tire without the highway hum of the lugs going down the road. I occasionally will get into the thick mud, but generally it's the common mud holes and general off roading when hunting. I have had the Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires previously, and liked them a lot. Good ride, quiet, and worked fine for my use off road. I'm leaning heavily again towards these. I currently have the Good Year Wrangler DuraTrac's. I like them for the aggressive off road, and they are VERY good in the rain. It's been a good tire, just too loud and a little worse highway mileage. And they get choppy or feathered really bad, which leads to some vibration and hum at slower speeds.

Size: 285/70/17

I'm looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZP3, but I'm wondering if these are too aggressive and will hum going down the road.

Would like info on these:

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZP3
Pro Comp A/T Sport
Toyo Open Country A/T 2
Nitto Terra Grappler G2

The Pro Comp, Toyo and Nitto tires look less aggressive, and may be a good option. Anyway, give me your thoughts on these tires! Thanks in advance!

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7063989 - 02/03/18 12:15 AM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon

Loc: Rockwall, Texas
The coopers I put on wifeís Jeep are pretty nice

#7063990 - 02/03/18 12:16 AM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon

Loc: Rockwall, Texas
The Toyo at2 would be my choice of those 4

#7064013 - 02/03/18 05:11 AM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
arandy Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: SW Arkansas
I use my truck pretty rough and factory tires won't cut it for me. I asked my local tire shop guy who is also a good friend what he had that would stand up to mesquite thorns, run smooth, quiet, and long. He told me to go look at what was on his truck. It was Nitto Grapplers. He said I can run any of them and you can't beat Nitto's. He said when he has less problems with Nitto's than anything he sells. I took his advice and they are great tires for the highway and tough enough to run off road on my lease in west Texas.

#7064127 - 02/03/18 08:24 AM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
bronco71 Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: N. Dallas/Sulphur Bluff
I really liked the Toyo Open Country 18" tires I ran on my Tundra, lots of mileage on them, great on road and better off road than I expected. Have Coopers now for a few months and I am impressed with them. Originally had Nitro Grapplers and hated them! Newer version may be better but the ones I had wore down fast and were noisy, but good in the mud.

Edited by bronco71 (02/03/18 08:25 AM)

#7064138 - 02/03/18 08:40 AM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
TEXASLEFTY Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: The Island Cres
I would not want any of the tires you listed, not one of them is aggressive to get you out of a mud hole you happened to run into better than the Michelin you listed. The other thing YOU did not mention but others did is sidewall strength, I would go to a load range E. The higher load range will give you a rougher ride but it should be resistant to thorns.

That's off my truck, those tires were about 3,000 miles old and an All-terrain. No matter which all terrain you go with they will not throw the mud like a mud terrain.... go with the Michelin.

#7064160 - 02/03/18 09:08 AM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
unclebubba Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Collin County, TX
I had the Nitto terra grapplers on my old truck. They were good tires for on road, but they were lacking in mud. From there I put on Cooper ST Maxx. They were much better in the mud, and not very noisy. For what you are looking for, look at the Cooper ST Maxx. I really liked them. After that, I went with Nitto Trail grapplers. These were very good mud tires, but sounds like much more aggressive that what you are looking for. I now have a new truck and just have the highway tires on them, and they suck. I'll be looking for new tires soon too.

#7064183 - 02/03/18 09:29 AM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
BigPig Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Forney, Tx
I have the BFG AT KO2 on my 8,000lb pig. Havenít been stuck with them yet, which is a change from when I had the Firestoneís and had to pull winch cable every trip to the lease.

Last set on this truck went 54,000 miles and only replaced them due to a large piece of metal in 1 tire. They work well for just about every scenario you mentioned, no matter the terrain. Our lease goes from sugar sand hills, to slick red mud, to thick black mud and they power through everything. The key to clearing mud out of the treads, as with any tire is wheels speed. On road charactericts are great, no noise, and I use my trucks hands free talking all the time. Havenít had a thorn in a tire yet and I just drive over the mesquite trees instead of around them.

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#7064321 - 02/03/18 11:59 AM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: BigPig]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: BigPig
I have the BFG AT KO2 on my 8,000lb pig. Havenít been stuck with them yet, which is a change from when I had the Firestoneís and had to pull winch cable every trip to the lease.

Last set on this truck went 54,000 miles and only replaced them due to a large piece of metal in 1 tire. They work well for just about every scenario you mentioned, no matter the terrain. Our lease goes from sugar sand hills, to slick red mud, to thick black mud and they power through everything. The key to clearing mud out of the treads, as with any tire is wheels speed. On road charactericts are great, no noise, and I use my trucks hands free talking all the time. Havenít had a thorn in a tire yet and I just drive over the mesquite trees instead of around them.

I have three pickups, I run T/A's as soon as the factory tires wear out. They are by far the best all around tire produced but...... NO all terrain tire is going to be as smooth and quiet as the LTX AT2.

Best pics I have of them but, put your money where your mouth is.

#7064548 - 02/03/18 05:11 PM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
wp75169 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wills Point
BFG AT KO2. One tough a$$ tire that is quiet. Not a serious mud tire. I ran 5 sets, switched to cooper ST Maxx which had better traction but I also had several flats which I wasnít used to. Now running BFG KM2 which is an all out mud terrain. Hopefully theyíre as tough as the KO2 and keep the old 7.3 diesel rolling in the mud without a ďhold my beer momentĒ.

Canít comment on the mileage on any of them. Heavy truck driven hard often pulling a trailer. Tires usually last 30k miles. Then again I donít let em get to the wear marks either.

#7065563 - 02/04/18 02:34 PM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
snake oil Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Graham
Chad I run Toyo open country A/T 2.......Awesome tire that holds up well....

Edited by snake oil (02/04/18 02:34 PM)

#7065794 - 02/04/18 05:39 PM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

Chads registration is due

#7066294 - 02/04/18 11:32 PM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
I've had the BFG AT before. I liked the tire a lot, but it is a rough riding tire. It also decreases gas mileage pretty bad. It's just not the tire I want for my daily driver.

My brother has the new Ram Rebel, which come with the Toyo tires, and he likes them. The main negative of the michelin tires is the "roll" when turning. They have a rolling feel to the vehicle, which is my main negative of the Michelin's, but that's the only negative for me.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7066338 - 02/05/18 06:00 AM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I've had the BFG AT before. I liked the tire a lot, but it is a rough riding tire. It also decreases gas mileage pretty bad. It's just not the tire I want for my daily driver.

My brother has the new Ram Rebel, which come with the Toyo tires, and he likes them. The main negative of the michelin tires is the "roll" when turning. They have a rolling feel to the vehicle, which is my main negative of the Michelin's, but that's the only negative for me.

I have not noticed the roll (not saying it does not happen) probably is greatly reduced with a load range E or 10 ply which EVERY truck should have anyway.

#7066382 - 02/05/18 07:12 AM Re: All Terrain Tires, which one's? [Re: ChadTRG42]
DPirates80 Offline
Pro Tracker

Cooper s/t Maxx,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide