N
ndhunter Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Jarrod don't want you in his blind

Quote:

SWAN QUARTER, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say a man assaulted a cousin of Gov. Roy Cooper and a North Carolina wildlife official, ranted at them with slurs and threats and accused them of hunting in his duck blind.

The Hyde County Sheriff's Office said 29-year-old Jarrod Thomas Umphlett faces multiple charges, including assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.

An incident report says Umphlett's boat rammed a boat carrying John Clark Purvis Sr. and Wildlife Resources Commission member Richard Edwards on Dec. 16. The impact knocked Edwards over, according to the report.

Umphlett boarded the boat, hit Purvis in the back of the head with his fist, also hit him on the shoulder and yelled racial slurs multiple times, the report said. All three men are white. The report says Umphlett threatened to "crush your skull in this lake."

Purvis told deputies he pointed his shotgun at Umphlett to get him to stop his attack. The report said Purvis was bruised and had a bump on his head but was not seriously injured.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/...hit-in-the-head

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: ndhunter] #7061801 02/01/18 06:19 PM
B
bear64 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I wonder exactly where that blind is? It will be vacant for many years to come

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: bear64] #7061819 02/01/18 06:29 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: bear64
I wonder exactly where that blind is? It will be vacant for many years to come
roflmao roflmao roflmao

Bobby Barnett

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: ndhunter] #7061864 02/01/18 07:11 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
duck hunting is serious business. had a friend have felony charges filed on him for breaking a guy's jaw with the butt stock of a shotgun. FUN TIMES! bolt

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: ndhunter] #7061893 02/01/18 07:38 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
More on it: http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=14795

Quote:
A Manns Harbor, N.C., man will be in court in Swan Quarter, N.C., on Wednesday morning, facing two felony charges and almost a dozen misdemeanors stemming to two December incidents in which duck hunters were allegedly harassed and in one instance, physically assaulted.

Jarrod Umphlett, who works at OBX Marina in Wanchese, N.C., faces two felony charges of assault and 11 more misdemeanors.

Most of the charges stem from an incident the afternoon of Dec. 16, when Umphlett is alleged to have approached a boat in Swan Creek Lake, a public waterway off the Alligator River in Hyde County that is surrounded by the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge.

According to an incident report by the Hyde County Sheriff’s Department, the boat’s occupants were Clark Purvis of Hobgood, N.C., who runs Roanoke River Waterfowl, a hunting-guide service, and Richard Edwards of WIlmington, N.C., a member of the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, who were scouting for future duck-hunting trips.

The incident report indicates that Purvis and Edwards were in Purvis’ boat when they were approached by another boat, operated by Umphlett, who began to follow them and yell racial profanities at them, threatening to kill them and “crush your skull in this lake.”

At Umphlett’s request, Purvis slowed down, and Umphlett’s boat rammed Purvis’ boat on the port side, knocking Edwards down. Then, according to both Purvis and Edwards, Umphlett started to climb in Purvis’s boat, twice punching Purvis. According to the report, Umphlett tried unsuccessfully to rip the tiller-controlled outboard motor off the boat’s transom and to rip the gas tank loose and throw both overboard, which would have left Purvis and Edwards stranded. Purvis eventually pulled out his shotgun, forcing Umphlett back into his own boat. The report said that while both boats were attempting to leave the lake by the mouth via the creek that connects it to the Alligator River, Umphlett told Purvis and Edwards he would kill them if they ever came back “to his lake.”

That incident led to two felony charges for “assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill” and seven misdemeanor charges of communicating threats, operating a boat in a reckless manner, obstructing the passage of a boat, unlawful harassment of persons taking wildlife, injury to public personal property and assault inflicting serious injury.

Purvis, a cousin of Gov. Roy Cooper, described Umphlett as “foaming at the mouth” as he was cursing them.

“I don’t want to see this happen again, to anyone; it was very unfortunate, It was the kind of behavior that was hard to believe,” he said. “I’m just glad I didn’t have my 11-year-old son with me. He was going to go hunting with me that day, but he didn’t. If my son had been with me, I’m afraid he would never want to go duck hunting again.”

The felony charges — “assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill”— are considered Class E felonies, which carry a minimum prison sentence of between 15 and 31 months.

The incident report said that when officers from the Hyde County Sheriff’s Department visited Umphlett at a hunting cabin in Tyrell County to ask about the incident, Umphlett admitted he “took to their [censored]” and continued to refer to Purvis and Edwards with racial epithets.

A second set of charges involve an incident on the morning of Dec. 27 when Umphlett and an unidentified companion motored into Swan Creek Lake and found Larry Gammon of Plymouth, N.C., and his son, Wesley, in a duck blind. The incident report said that Umphlett and his companion approached the blind in their boat — identified by the boat-registration number on the hull — and began to curse at them and use racial epithets, picking on the younger Gammon about his glasses, the way he talked, and describing his mother with a racial slur. Umphlett kept his boat in front of the blind, according to the report, until the Gammons gave up on hunting and moved elsewhere.

After the Dec. 27 incident, the Hyde County Sheriff’s Department obtained warrants for Umphlett for four misdemeanors, two each for communicating threats and unlawful harassment of persons legally taking wildlife.

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: ndhunter] #7063984 02/03/18 05:42 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Maybe he will have an unfortunate accident in jail... Sounds like a psychopath that will kill someday.

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: Txduckman] #7064232 02/03/18 04:22 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If he did that in Texas he would have probably got shot multiple times.

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: ndhunter] #7064390 02/03/18 07:55 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Another person who believes that he owns a piece of public land.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: Guy] #7065312 02/04/18 04:37 PM
T
trash2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: Guy

I can safely assume you've never been up there. I 100% disagree w the guy but it's a different ball game in that part of the world, not for the faint of heart or outsiders to tamper with

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: trash2] #7065381 02/04/18 05:44 PM
N
ndhunter Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:
Purvis told deputies he pointed his shotgun at Umphlett to get him to stop his attack

Came close to getting shot

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: trash2] #7065569 02/04/18 08:41 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: trash2

I can safely assume you've never been up there. I 100% disagree w the guy but it's a different ball game in that part of the world, not for the faint of heart or outsiders to tamper with

You are right, I have never been up there. But what does me being up there have anything to do with my post about Texas? You disagree with my post or what? Trying to understand your point.

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: ndhunter] #7065632 02/04/18 09:32 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Libturds..... rolleyes

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: Guy] #7068015 02/06/18 04:44 PM
T
trash2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

You are right, I have never been up there. But what does me being up there have anything to do with my post about Texas? You disagree with my post or what? Trying to understand your point.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your post but things are very different in that part of the world. It's the wild wild west and outsiders aren't welcome with open arms. The guy is trash no doubt but it may/or may not have been a bold move for them to not here his initial warnings. Much of the "public" is actually private up there with blinds passed down for generations. True public land is tough to come by in the salt and infringing on the locals will get you repercussions very swiftly. Just shedding some light on the topic, not disagreeing. However there are boundaries and consequences one must realize when you enter that part of the world

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: trash2] #7068391 02/06/18 08:35 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H

Not necessarily disagreeing with your post but things are very different in that part of the world. It's the wild wild west and outsiders aren't welcome with open arms. The guy is trash no doubt but it may/or may not have been a bold move for them to not here his initial warnings. Much of the "public" is actually private up there with blinds passed down for generations. True public land is tough to come by in the salt and infringing on the locals will get you repercussions very swiftly. Just shedding some light on the topic, not disagreeing. However there are boundaries and consequences one must realize when you enter that part of the world

I don't care what part of the world I'm in. Some yahoo tries to jump in my boat while issuing threats like that and he wouldn't have a chance to punch anyone in the back of the head. That guy got off easy IMO.

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: trash2] #7069234 02/07/18 02:16 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

The guys that got assaulted were a wild life official and hunting guide, they were scouting, not even duck hunting. Another group hunted the blind, which is another set of charges against this donut. Both parties were obviously not on private land and had every right to be there, this donut thinks it’s his private property.

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: ndhunter] #7069889 02/07/18 11:12 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
The rules in some areas allow groups to continually occupy public land blinds in perpetuity. Converting what should be public land into private. That's exactly why I get so worked up here when someone argues a public spot is in some way off limits because someone else hunted it.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: jnd59] #7069919 02/07/18 11:33 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jnd59
The rules in some areas allow groups to continually occupy public land blinds in perpetuity. Converting what should be public land into private. That's exactly why I get so worked up here when someone argues a public spot is in some way off limits because someone else hunted it.

Your last sentence I don’t understand what you are trying to say, maybe some typos there. Your first 2 sentences, yes some areas blinds are for permit holders only, but if that was the case here, I would think the report would have called that out. But the incident with the wild life official and guide, that happened on “public waterway”, the guys were out scouting, per the report.

Re: "Crush Your Skull In This Lake" [Re: trash2] #7073386 02/10/18 07:09 PM
N
ndhunter Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
N

They were not outsiders, they were "cousin of Gov. Roy Cooper and a North Carolina wildlife official".

Appreciate the warnings about NC but don't think they are relevant to this incident.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide