Forums46
Topics537,022
Posts9,719,496
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7061638 02/01/18 03:59 PM
G
Gillium Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
G
Just for reference - the road closest to Feeder 2 that runs west to east is 100yds. The northwest corner to the south east corner is roughly a mile long.

So If I am hearing correctly, it would be best to seperate the property (given its size) into two main hunting areas, an east and a west? My orginal thought was maybe to break it up, at least with roads, into quarters. Thoughts?

It would be good to add a water source but not mandatory.

For my blind/feeder setup I was definitely going to implement a feeder pen with hog panels, not sure if my buddy was going to do that with his.

What do you think is a good number of feeders/blind setups to have on 100 acres?

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7061661 02/01/18 04:21 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
If you do more than 3-4 setups, probably overkill plus you and he will only be covering the two at a given time...

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7061675 02/01/18 04:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Hate to say it but that place/deer has been hunted in the past due to its size and location. Deer were pulled off it by the neighbors due to its size and deer home range size. You have prevailing SE winds and then north winds in the fall/winter. I would make all roads around the fencelines and then put blinds/feeders inside the property. Leave the middle area of the pasture as bedding cover with no traffic. If you are only seeing deer at night then they are not living on the place. They are traveling in from somewhere they are bedding. Also that place is not going to hunt 2 people due to deer density numbers for that county if all the places around this one are hunted and the same size or bit larger than this one. Two people hunting it will push deer out depending on your travel route to the blind with the wrong winds. Throw in buck to doe ratio and there just is not going to be enough bucks to support two hunters unless you can live with one hunter not getting a buck.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: stxranchman] #7061685 02/01/18 04:37 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Hate to say it but that place/deer has been hunted in the past due to its size and location. Deer were pulled off it by the neighbors due to its size and deer home range size. You have prevailing SE winds and then north winds in the fall/winter. I would make all roads around the fencelines and then put blinds/feeders inside the property. Leave the middle area of the pasture as bedding cover with no traffic. If you are only seeing deer at night then they are not living on the place. They are traveling in from somewhere they are bedding. Also that place is not going to hunt 2 people due to deer density numbers for that county if all the places around this one are hunted and the same size or bit larger than this one. Two people hunting it will push deer out depending on your travel route to the blind with the wrong winds. Throw in buck to doe ratio and there just is not going to be enough bucks to support two hunters unless you can live with one hunter not getting a buck.

Barring a rut slip up of a couple of lovesick bucks, I'd tend to agree with the Ranchman here...

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7061700 02/01/18 04:50 PM
G
Gillium Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
G
To be honest, we aren't out there to hunt antlers. We just enjoy being out there, as neither of us have had this kind of opportunity before, plus it doesn't cost us nothing to hunt there except gas, corn, feeders, cameras, etc. At least the initial setup of the property. And the hogs could keep us entertained as well.

Thinking 2 setups for deer (feed pen) and 1 for hogs/javelina (no feed pen)

Last edited by Gillium; 02/01/18 04:52 PM.
Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7061720 02/01/18 05:09 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
"Thinking 2 setups for deer (feed pen) and 1 for hogs/javelina (no feed pen)"

That's what I would do.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Mr. T.] #7061853 02/01/18 07:04 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
"Thinking 2 setups for deer (feed pen) and 1 for hogs/javelina (no feed pen)"

That's what I would do.

yep, or 2 of each so you can both hunt off season easier.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Stub] #7061882 02/01/18 07:26 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: Stub
If the light areas on the map where I outlined in yellow are sort of open areas, then If possible I would move my camp on the other side of the rode (blue empty box). Setup blinds at the top of the outlined yellow areas ( black box) and have my feeders on the south end (red box) Moving the camp would create less intrusion on your east hunting area (by the panhandle) and more equal distance to the blinds. Orange lines are travel path to blinds. Everything shown is an approximation, would actually have to put foot on ground to evaluate effectively. The east setup hard to tell if it is open a little further down towards the south if so move the feeder further away.

Good luck up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: dogcatcher] #7061900 02/01/18 07:46 PM
G
Gillium Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
G
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
This would be my choice.

If the light areas on the map where I outlined in yellow are sort of open areas, then If possible I would move my camp on the other side of the rode (blue empty box). Setup blinds at the top of the outlined yellow areas ( black box) and have my feeders on the south end (red box) Moving the camp would create less intrusion on your east hunting area (by the panhandle) and more equal distance to the blinds. Orange lines are travel path to blinds. Everything shown is an approximation, would actually have to put foot on ground to evaluate effectively. The east setup hard to tell if it is open a little further down towards the south if so move the feeder further away.

Good luck up

The only issues I see with the camp and the east setup is that it is very close to the county road. The brush is thick but not very tall.

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7061905 02/01/18 07:52 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Gillium
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
This would be my choice.

Good luck up

The only issues I see with the camp and the east setup is that it is very close to the county road. The brush is thick but not very tall.

Being near the road is something that you may just have to live with.

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7061956 02/01/18 08:27 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I agree that placing the camp near a public road isn't optimal, but if you move very far into the interior it looks like you could interfere with your future hunting set ups.

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7061975 02/01/18 08:35 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Gillium

Since you only have access to a 100 acres, your options are limited. As to the camp, I would get one of the shipping containers so that I could seal it up tight when I left. Any additional doors, windows etc., would have security bars on them and be on the side facing into the property. Either that are have everything where you take it with you when you leave.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7062015 02/01/18 09:05 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Even with water sources near you would be amazed how much deer will prefer a fresh water source and not have to stand in mud to drink

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7062018 02/01/18 09:07 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Id set the camp at far NE in the handle of the property... jmo this way one pass can be made to go to all stands

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Navasot] #7062050 02/01/18 09:32 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Id set the camp at far NE in the handle of the property... jmo this way one pass can be made to go to all stands

Agree with camp in the "panhandle". That way you are farther from the game, and would be less likely to spook them when you are in camp.

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: unclebubba] #7062750 02/02/18 12:42 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: unclebubba

Agree with camp in the "panhandle". That way you are farther from the game, and would be less likely to spook them when you are in camp.

Sounds interesting camp in the E. Panhandle. OP was concerned about being to close to the street, also the brush looks thick as hades and the camp would be awful close to the neighbors property which is probably not a biggy. Hunter on the west would use the Orange line to get to the blind.

Nav where would you put the blinds and feeders if it was your setup? Below is a revised based off camp in the panhandle.

Last edited by Stub; 02/02/18 12:56 PM.

texas flag

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7063027 02/02/18 04:02 PM
G
Gillium Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
G
Thanks for everyone's input so far. I will try to keep this updated as a progress thread. Slowly but surely we will get there...

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Stub] #7063208 02/02/18 05:57 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: unclebubba

Sounds interesting camp in the E. Panhandle. OP was concerned about being to close to the street, also the brush looks thick as hades and the camp would be awful close to the neighbors property which is probably not a biggy. Hunter on the west would use the Orange line to get to the blind.

Nav where would you put the blinds and feeders if it was your setup? Below is a revised based off camp in the panhandle.

Id have one just east of the number one on that map at the 3 way... elevated blind and get some clearing done to have good shooting lanes

Second one would be a bow setup in the south west side in what looks like patchy brush area

Last edited by Navasot; 02/02/18 05:57 PM.
Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7063214 02/02/18 05:59 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Also would do alot of work clearing out the perimeter fence line so I could drive all the way around to each stand without having to go through one

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7070241 02/08/18 03:13 AM
G
Gillium Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
G
Last Saturday night we decided to try to get a night hunt in. We arrived at the property just before midnight, 15 minutes later, we had a hog down! We knew a pig would be shot that night but didn/t expect it to happen as soon as we got there. Walking up to the blind right in front of Feeder 1 we could hear a sounder of 10 hogs working there way down the road. Lucky for us the cloud cover, dimmed the moonlight so they could not see us standing right in front of them 40 yds away. Raised the spot light as soon as they got under the feeder and my buddy whacked one with his bow.

We stayed up all night and morning until about 9AM with nothing else showing up. Went to the back and cleared some shooting lanes to the east and west of feeder 2 so that next time we could see if there are any animals at feeder 2 (day/night) without them hearing us, all we have to do is peek around the corner.

Last edited by Gillium; 02/08/18 03:18 AM.
Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium] #7070284 02/08/18 03:34 AM
S
Single Shot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Kill them all!

Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Single Shot] #7070478 02/08/18 01:30 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Single Shot
Kill them all!

X2

Page 2 of 2 1 2