6151833 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7060169 - 01/31/18 11:16 AM Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property
Gillium Offline
Light Foot

Hey Folks,

Looking to get some guidance/advice on how to setup a new property. My buddy just got access to a family property (100 Acres) that has never been hunted (in the past 10 yrs) on or rarely gets visited by the other family members (maybe once every 2 years) in Duval county. We have been going every weekend since the first weekend of January to scout the place, setup feeders/cameras to survey what frequents the property. So far we've setup 2 feeders/cameras labeled 1 & 2. Within the 4 weeks we have seen hogs, javelinas, does, a single 10pt, a 6pt, and a few young bucks.

The bucks have only shown once at different days so we are assuming they were just cruising by. The javelinas are the only consistent animal that shows up during the morning/evenings, where as all other animals only show at night.
What improvements would you advise we could do to: 1) improve the layout of the property 2) keep the bucks around 3)have the animals come out during daylight hours?

Just a little background, all surrounding properties are low fence, the circle in the middle of the pic is deer bedding area that we found, and the "big dipper" road you see was done prior to use gaining access. Our goal is to do some improvements little by little before the beginning of the upcoming hunting season.

#7060195 - 01/31/18 11:38 AM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

any water on it of any kind?

#7060231 - 01/31/18 11:57 AM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
Gillium Offline
Light Foot

The property to the south of this property has a tank (empty as of last week) near the south fence, hence why we put feeder 2 between the water and bedding area. My buddy would like to add some sort of water source. Just don't know where....

#7060234 - 01/31/18 11:58 AM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
TruTexican Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Grayson Co Texas
Well bedding area in the middle is good. I would probably start by walking the perimeter and scouting for the best travel routes. Look at food sources on surrounding properties that might be affecting travel and as said above water. I would then set up some protein feeders and cams on travel routes. Things to be considered: food plots, distance from boundary for stands, elevation advantage, hunter travel routes in and out of set-ups....etc. Nothing beats time spent in the woods. Congrats, sounds promising!

Edited by TruTexican (01/31/18 11:59 AM)

#7060251 - 01/31/18 12:13 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
Texas buckeye Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Keller
just my opinion but a protein feeder on 100 acres is probably a waste of money. You would be better served by making some food plots on the property and spending the money on corn or other attractant type feeds (corn/soy, which deer love but also has protein value). Chances are, you are going to fatten up your neighbors deer if you feed protein.

A food plot on 100 acres would be basically an attractant plot, but could be a good source of food for deer if done big enough. I am not from south texas, so I don't know what grows well down there, but I know rain is a big part of it. If you could figure out a way to make a small "kill plot" with some meager irrigation using 250g totes or something similar, you would be in business.

Agree with above about spending time out there, see where the trails are, etc. Staging feeders along trails could keep things around more, but seeing where deer come and go from during day and night is helpful to staging approaches and stands.

Good luck!

#7060283 - 01/31/18 12:38 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
If they only visit the property every two yrs then someone is or has most likely hunted it. Doesnít take poachers and tresspassers long to figure out when nobody is ever around

#7060311 - 01/31/18 12:56 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: The Outer Limits
1.Are you simply going to hunt it or set up a camp also?
2.Do you have multiple ways of entering the property either by foot or driving, if so where on the map?

#7060320 - 01/31/18 01:01 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
Mr. T. Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hunt in Cass County, live in T...
As far as getting the deer to feed in the daylight, what works for me in trying to train the deer is to set my feeder to go off twice a day. What I would do now is the morning is set to go off 30 minutes before shooting light for 8 seconds, the evening is set to go off 30 minutes before dark for 3 seconds. You will need to adjust feed times by the number of deer/hogs showing up. But what you are doing is not putting so much corn on the ground in the evening so that they can eat all night. But by June you adjust the feeder to go off 15 minutes before shooting light and 45 minutes before dark. September the timer is set to go off at shooting light and 1-1/2 hours before dark. You will have to make adjustments all year long as sunrise and sunset time changes. My advice is worth what you are paying for it....which is nothing. But this has worked for me a couple of times when I have gone to new places. I would forget protein and just feed corn with a $5 salt block by the feeder. If you are down there often enough, try to get some type of water on your place it you can. If not, then hope that your neighbors tank fills up. it's not bad having a stand between your feeder and some water. As others have said, walk the fence line looking for where the animals are traveling.
Good luck with being successful

#7060328 - 01/31/18 01:05 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: SapperTitan]
maximum Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
If they only visit the property every two yrs then someone is or has most likely hunted it. Doesnít take poachers and tresspassers long to figure out when nobody is ever around

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

trespassers can avoid game cameras and don't always disturb belongings.
you can bet that on any property that someone isn't living on full time
gets a visit from neighbors or neighbor kids. on my place the giveaways
have been footprints, lost empty cases, toilet paper and cigarette butts.
you can bet everyone living nearby knows every time somebody comes and goes.

#7060366 - 01/31/18 01:32 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Texas buckeye]
Navasot Offline
Hollywood

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
just my opinion but a protein feeder on 100 acres is probably a waste of money. You would be better served by making some food plots on the property and spending the money on corn or other attractant type feeds (corn/soy, which deer love but also has protein value). Chances are, you are going to fatten up your neighbors deer if you feed protein.

A food plot on 100 acres would be basically an attractant plot, but could be a good source of food for deer if done big enough. I am not from south texas, so I don't know what grows well down there, but I know rain is a big part of it. If you could figure out a way to make a small "kill plot" with some meager irrigation using 250g totes or something similar, you would be in business.

Agree with above about spending time out there, see where the trails are, etc. Staging feeders along trails could keep things around more, but seeing where deer come and go from during day and night is helpful to staging approaches and stands.

Good luck!

I have 40 acres and I see much better results from a Protein feeder than a 10 acre food plot imo... I still run them both though the two put together is ideal.. Protein just dosnt have to rely on weather...

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#7060369 - 01/31/18 01:32 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
Navasot Offline
Hollywood

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Digging two wells and setting them up on solar would be were i would start if $ was there

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#7060398 - 01/31/18 01:46 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Where is the entrance to the property? If you are going to set up a camp, were do you plan on it being? I am guessing, but a 100 acres is about 600x800 yards, from the pic is it basically scrub mesquite? Can you see the feeders from the road?

#7060404 - 01/31/18 01:51 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Wimberley, Tx
Is this mesquite? Itís tough to say from the pic. Is that heavy cover? Iím a bow hunter and am paranoid about pushing animals. It doesnít matter where you put anything if your pushing game every time you come in or leave.

Those feeders in the middle wouldnít work for me cause your scent is going to be blowing into your property that way. On 100 acres the location of your feeders doesnít matter..the deer will come to either of them. So what does matter is where your scent blows and how you come in and leave.

There are two of you so Iím guessing two feeders. Are you always hunting at the same time? Rifle hunting?

Iím guessing rifle hunting...
Iíd put one blind on the east perimeter and put the feeder as far in as you can see. That way you can hunt most winds.
N,S,NW,SW,W.

The other blind would be on the west perimeter. Same thing as deep into the property as you can see. Hunt that on
N,S,NE,SE,E. Drive and park off that North road and walk the fence line down to your blind.

Park off the roads and walk quitely to your blinds. Never drive through your property. Only to the feeders to fill em.

Edited by Wacm (01/31/18 01:53 PM)

#7060417 - 01/31/18 01:59 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: dogcatcher]
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: The Outer Limits
I like your thinking DC laugh

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Where is the entrance to the property? If you are going to set up a camp, were do you plan on it being? I am guessing, but a 100 acres is about 600x800 yards, from the pic is it basically scrub mesquite? Can you see the feeders from the road?

Originally Posted By: Stub
1.Are you simply going to hunt it or set up a camp also?
2.Do you have multiple ways of entering the property either by foot or driving, if so where on the map?

#7060422 - 01/31/18 02:01 PM Re: Need Advice: Setting Up a New Property [Re: Gillium]
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Wimberley, Tx
If there are lots of tanks in the area I wouldnít worrry about water so much...your not going to contain those deer so itís not worth the work. They will be moving in and out anyway. An easy water solution if you donít see many tanks nearby is a 50gallon drum stashed in bushes and3/4in pvc running to a small troth with a float switch. You can build that for around a hundred bucks and itíll be fairly reliable even around hogs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide