Print Thread
Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope #7057891 01/30/18 02:22 AM
B
Bobbyjoe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Just curious if anyone has any insight on this scope. Academy has them on clearance so I'm thinking about picking one up. Primarily will be used to hunt hogs/varmits no further than 100-120yds. Also planning on adding another IR to help out with the range. Thanks in advance.

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7057989 01/30/18 03:37 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Bobbyjoe, I'm a Sightmark dealer and I've used that scope many times years ago. I'm going to shoot you straight....I don't know what the price is but it better be really cheap to make it worth it. And I do mean really cheap, like under $250. In my opinion, if you are on a budget, don't care about bells and whistles and just want to hunt 100-120 yards at night, buy a Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S. They are $499 new but if you were in a bind and didn't need a warranty, I'm sure you can pick one up used for $350-$400. Add a really good external IR to it and you are good to go out to 250 yards. Any decent digital NV scope is going to out perform the old Gen 1 stuff almost every single time.

I talked about this a little on another thread and I don't want people to think I'm just negative Nancy but seriously, the old Gen 1 stuff was fine when that was the only affordable option. But digital NV blows it away in most cases. If I had a dollar for every customer who's called me over the years and told me he's got a Gen 1 scope and "can't see crap", I could probably pay for a thermal scope. grin Seriously, buy something like a Photon and you'll thank yourself.

In all seriousness, if you have questions and want more info, feel free to give me a call. I won't even try to sell you a scope. I just hate to see you make that purchase and regret it. I think as others chime in here you are going to see people make the same suggestions I am.

Good luck!

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7058675 01/30/18 06:31 PM
B
Bobbyjoe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Thanks, Jason! That's exactly the response I was looking for. I think I'll pickup a Photon... now just curious which one I should go with. Is it worth paying a little more and going with a 6.5x50 RT or the S model?

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7059129 01/30/18 11:37 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Bobbyjoe
Thanks, Jason! That's exactly the response I was looking for. I think I'll pickup a Photon... now just curious which one I should go with. Is it worth paying a little more and going with a 6.5x50 RT or the S model?

Ok can you give me until tomorrow to answer this question? I've been demoing the 4.5x42S RT for Sightmark for a few weeks so I've got a really good feel for it but I just got in my first shipment of all 4 models. I'm going to put them side by side tonight and I can report back tomorrow with more info. I already have a very strong hunch what my answer is, but I really want to put them put them side by side since they are sitting here in my office right now.

Quick question, how close will you closest shot be and how far will your furthest shot be?

- Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7059139 01/30/18 11:48 PM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: Outdoor Legacy Gear

Ok can you give me until tomorrow to answer this question? I've been demoing the 4.5x42S RT for Sightmark for a few weeks so I've got a really good feel for it but I just got in my first shipment of all 4 models. I'm going to put them side by side tonight and I can report back tomorrow with more info. I already have a very strong hunch what my answer is, but I really want to put them put them side by side since they are sitting here in my office right now.

Quick question, how close will you closest shot be and how far will your furthest shot be?

- Jason

Sachal and jtprofatty, pay close attention. This ^^^ is how you answer questions for a potential customer.

Excellent job, OLG. up

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7059264 01/31/18 01:18 AM
B
Bobbyjoe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
closest shot will be 30yds, absolute furthest will be 150. The way we're setup in the hill country doesn't allow us 200 or 300yd shots.

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7059297 01/31/18 01:37 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

- Jason

Sachal and jtprofatty, pay close attention. This ^^^ is how you answer questions for a potential customer.

Excellent job, OLG. up

Aaaaaahahahahahaha!!!

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Sneaky] #7059309 01/31/18 01:43 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

- Jason

Excellent job, OLG. up

Aaaaaahahahahahaha!!!

lol444

[Linked Image]
Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7059331 01/31/18 01:57 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Bear in mind that field of view is a real consideration on most NV units. The higher magnification units are great for longer shots, but you give up short range field of view when you're trying to zap multiple moving targets. There's no "best" choice; only what's best for the way that you hunt.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7059643 01/31/18 06:47 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Ok I'm back but my info isn't going to help a lot. Here is the deal....I'm not sure if y'all have walked outside or not but the moon is ridiculously huge. Someone said there is a super moon or something on Wednesday night. So with that said, I can read a newspaper out there tonight and that is not fair or reasonable conditions for testing digital NV scopes. Heck even the worst scope on the market would perform decently tonight with all this moonlight. I want to be able to tell you what these scopes will do in the worst conditions, not the best.

I did get out tonight and bust a nice 150lb boar with the Photon RT 4.5x42S and it performed perfectly. I'm extremely impressed by these RT's but I'm not surprised because the XT's were great and the RT's are just an improved upgrade. Stay tuned for more info as soon as the moon wanes or we get an overcast night. Here is a pic from tonight, this is no flash, just a long exposure and a quick swipe across the scene with the dim little flashlight on my iPhone.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7059644 01/31/18 06:58 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
closest shot will be 30yds, absolute furthest will be 150. The way we're setup in the hill country doesn't allow us 200 or 300yd shots.

With this said, I can go ahead and tell you what you should buy in my humble opinion. The RT 4.5x42S for $549 is your best bet. I shot this hog tonight at about 50 yards and IF I'd used a 6.5x I'd have seen nothing but hair. Seriously, the field of view is narrow and you just don't need that much magnification for shots under 100 yards in my opinion. I normally only recommend the 6.5x to guys who are taking most of their shots over 100 yards and guys in the midwest doing a lot of long range coyote hunting. That's my 2 cents.

You want the S version because it has the brighter 850nm IR illuminator. The non-S versions have the 940nm IR illuminators and without getting into a novel, the 940nm IR's don't have the soft red glow at the head of the IR light but they put off a whole less usable IR light for the scope. The 820-850nm IR spectrum is what every digital NV scope on the market has used (until the new RT non-S versions) and it's what 95% of all external IR lights use. Summary....the S model will let you see further than the non-S models.

I can explain more if you need the info but I'll just say this....buy the 4.5x42S and you'll be set.

My first RT shipment didn't quite cover my pre-orders but I've got a ton more on the way and if you are interested, feel free to give me a call or send me a PM. I've got some of the 940nm models in stock but I'm not advising them for customers and I only have them in case a customer demands it.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7059760 01/31/18 01:07 PM
D
DoubleUp Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
When you start having dark nights, can you give a useable range estimation with both the 850 and 940nm onboard lights maybe posting a video of each. Also a comparison of how much extra distance the UNV 850nm light gives over the onboard 850 light. Thanks and great reviewing so far.

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7059788 01/31/18 01:34 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
In particular, let us know the difference between the IR illuminators in the s and non-s versions. I've read elsewhere that the improved (brighter) on board illuminator is very battery draining (not sure which version was tested). It's not necessarily a bad thing as more power == more light, but it would be nice to understand the trade-off. My assumption is that the s version with an external illuminator is the way to go for most users, but it would be great to get more information.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7062394 02/02/18 01:40 AM
B
Bobbyjoe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Thanks for all of the good advice. Ended up taking the Night Raider back and found two new 4.6x42S photons for $250 each. Decent deal so I jumped on both of em. Night and day better than the Gen1 stuff. I have a good feeling this is going to be a gateway drug for thermal... lol.

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7063477 02/02/18 09:01 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Thanks for all of the good advice. Ended up taking the Night Raider back and found two new 4.6x42S photons for $250 each. Decent deal so I jumped on both of em. Night and day better than the Gen1 stuff. I have a good feeling this is going to be a gateway drug for thermal... lol.

Are there more 4.6x XT's available for $250 each? I will buy every single one they have. I don't care if it is 50 units, I'll take them. That's insane!! You got a steal!

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Bobbyjoe] #7063482 02/02/18 09:08 PM
H
HoldPoint Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
tag

Re: Sightmark Night Raider 2.5x50 NV Scope [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7063866 02/03/18 02:47 AM
B
Bobbyjoe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B

Are there more 4.6x XT's available for $250 each? I will buy every single one they have. I don't care if it is 50 units, I'll take them. That's insane!! You got a steal!

These were the last two on the shelf... blind luck I guess!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide