Well this is not going to work as well as I intended. I lost my first photo and I can't go back to the beginning so I will do my best with text. After I assembled the two brackets and cross bar I put two 2 X 4 spacers under the cross bar to establish enough clearance to remove the lid, drilled the bottom hole on each of the side brackets and tightened them up real snug. Removed the spacers (2 X 4s) and used a hammer on the side brackets to adjust to level and then drilled the top holes for the brackets. Next I adjusted the hanger on the bar until level (this hanger is a bit of overkill but I already had it from another project), then spot welded everything in position. Really simple proposition and works great.