Print Thread
How long do you hunt your dog #7049833 01/23/18 04:43 PM
J
JTS Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I don't have dogs to rotate so I can't just switch out dogs all day. I know temperature makes a big difference, but how long do you let your dog hunt if you will be hunting for a few days?

It seems like if I hunt my dog too much the first day of the hunt he gets worn out early on day 2. My GSP is in what I would call decent shape but he is young (1.5 year old). He hunts really hard the first day especially the first morning. I'm thinking maybe I should just hunt him for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the evening to keep him fresh for the next day?

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7049854 01/23/18 04:54 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
I will probably only run my dog 2 hour in the morning. Opening weekend I let him run too long and he was done for that afternoon. I wish I had a place to run him so he could be in better shape.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: RayB] #7049901 01/23/18 05:19 PM
D
DuckedUp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
I will probably only run my dog 2 hour in the morning. Opening weekend I let him run too long and he was done for that afternoon. I wish I had a place to run him so he could be in better shape.

How is your dog, Barney Topwater?

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: RayB] #7049931 01/23/18 05:46 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

Consider sore feet as much or more than being out of shape on opening weekend.

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7049936 01/23/18 05:49 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If I’m walking, the dogs better be able to run as long as I can if it’s not too hot.

If they’re running in front of the mule I’ll swap them out every hour. They’ll last a long time like that.

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7049945 01/23/18 05:58 PM
D
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Cool weather: young dogs 60 to 75 mins, over 9 yrs old about 45 mins.
60 degrees or warmer: young dogs 45 mins, over 9 yrs old about 30 mins.

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7050005 01/23/18 06:52 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Two hours in the morning and an hour in the afternoon for peak performance.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7050221 01/23/18 09:48 PM
J
JTS Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I could tell that I over hunted my GSP by the way he acted on the second day. He did OK on the second morning but didn't have that pep in his step like normal.

I hunted him from around 7:30 til 11:30 Saturday morning then again that evening from 4:30 til about 6 that evening, which is about 5.5 hours total for the day and the high got up to around 65. I'll definitely limit him to around 3 hours on day one next time.

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7050249 01/23/18 10:22 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I no longer hunt alone. We usually run out of time before we run out of dogs.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7050260 01/23/18 10:28 PM
E
Echo 80 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
I have 2 that I switch out. Each one hunts 3-4 hours per day and can last about 2 days depending on conditions. I rarely boot them so its usually their pads that are wore.

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7050367 01/23/18 11:44 PM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
This depends on your dog's motor, age, conditioning and outdoor temperature and humidity. Before attacking Kansas for pheasants this past fall I ran my retriever(5 years old) along my mountain bike, gradually increasing the distance. We both got a good workout. In the end, I hunted for 3 days and ran her approx. 1.5 - 2 hours in the morning and afternoon for all 3 days. She was ready for that, had a strong motor each day and had no need to recover after the 3rd day. Have plenty of water on hand. I give water after every 15 minutes or so, and she usually drinks it!

Pads were in great shape. I treated pads with Tuf Foot for months prior to going, during and after (as directed).

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7050376 01/23/18 11:49 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Two years ago I only had one French Brittany. I had her in good shape before my end of deer season lease started in January. I hunted her 30 days in January and February, including 7 days strait the first week from 8:00 until 4:00, or a limit was reached. We took short breaks and there was plenty of water on the ground for her to cool off in. I lost 15 pounds the first week. This was all walk hunting. By the end of season, I had a GREAT dog and I could put my fingers around her waist. She’s never quit on me and has turned into the best dog I’ve ever had.

Every dog is an individual but once your mutt gets into hunting shape they’re like a marathon runner and can go forever with plenty of water and good feed as long as it’s cool. If I’m working a dog hard I give them a can of wet dog food with honey on it at 0500 on top of what they get at the end of the day. I live by my Papaw’s philosophy on bird dogs. “ I don’t feed that son of a bitch to lay around.”

It’s nice to have plenty of dogs to switch out but that isn’t always possible. I’m lucky enough to own a place I can exercise my mutts and keep them in decent shape year round, running and swimming.

I used to hunt with an old man that always had the best bird dogs I’ve hunted with, year after year. He hunted them almost every day of season in front of a mule for 5-6 hours and never kept more than 2-4 at one time. If they couldn’t keep up they didn’t make the cut. He was hard on dogs and by the end of season those pointers were nothing but calluses, hide, and muscle. Beautiful animals, that’s what a bird dog is supposed to look like.

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7050477 01/24/18 12:48 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Scalebuster, I agree keep them in shape and hunt them hard. Forrest

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: scalebuster] #7050503 01/24/18 01:01 AM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Two years ago I only had one French Brittany. I had her in good shape before my end of deer season lease started in January. I hunted her 30 days in January and February, including 7 days strait the first week from 8:00 until 4:00, or a limit was reached. We took short breaks and there was plenty of water on the ground for her to cool off in. I lost 15 pounds the first week. This was all walk hunting. By the end of season, I had a GREAT dog and I could put my fingers around her waist. She’s never quit on me and has turned into the best dog I’ve ever had.

Every dog is an individual but once your mutt gets into hunting shape they’re like a marathon runner and can go forever with plenty of water and good feed as long as it’s cool. If I’m working a dog hard I give them a can of wet dog food with honey on it at 0500 on top of what they get at the end of the day. I live by my Papaw’s philosophy on bird dogs. “ I don’t feed that son of a bitch to lay around.”

It’s nice to have plenty of dogs to switch out but that isn’t always possible. I’m lucky enough to own a place I can exercise my mutts and keep them in decent shape year round, running and swimming.

I used to hunt with an old man that always had the best bird dogs I’ve hunted with, year after year. He hunted them almost every day of season in front of a mule for 5-6 hours and never kept more than 2-4 at one time. If they couldn’t keep up they didn’t make the cut. He was hard on dogs and by the end of season those pointers were nothing but calluses, hide, and muscle. Beautiful animals, that’s what a bird dog is supposed to look like.
Yes Sir! Get them in shape before season and keep them in shape. They are amazing animals.

Bobby Barnett

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7050523 01/24/18 01:14 AM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sig line - “I don’t feed that SOB to lay around”

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7050699 01/24/18 03:24 AM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I hunt my one dog pretty hard. She averages 20 miles a hunt. She can go three days 20 in the morning 20 in the evening. She's got energy but it comes with a price. I must run her in the off season or she gets unruly. I keep her in decent shape. When she gets off the protein she gets a little fat but that disappears in one weekend.

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7053484 01/26/18 12:45 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Yep, about 2 in the am and 2 in the pm

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7074300 02/11/18 03:28 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Found this thread a very interesting read.

I came across a English Pointer that someone was fostering and trying to find a good home. He is a young dog, maybe a year old or so. Thought I could make him a hunting dog. Took him out before the season and he was naturally hunting birds. He pointed a bird in some tall grass and flushed it before I got close enough. Thought this is awesome, and I can work with him on that. When the bird flushed, I fired a shot up in the air. He booked it back to the house and was scared to death. Gun shy. I have read on how to cure it and am slowly working with him now. He is a great dog and gets along with our 2 small lap dogs and is the best dog around my 4 year old daughter.

Brings me to the point of the posts above. That dog can run! Absolutely amazing how long he can last. We drive around in UTVs and he runs right next to it the whole time. He knows how to ride and it stubborn about loading up cause he would rather run. Anyways, I check him regularly and tell him to “load up”. When he finally gets tired enough, he will load up. Or when we fire off a shot! scared

Another interesting point too is that he will fatten up during the week but when we head to the ranch, he rarely eats any food and his ribs will start showing. Monday - Wednesday he will lay around most of the day. Thursday he is ready to go. Friday - Sunday is non stop.

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: TX Hitman] #7074345 02/11/18 04:04 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TX Hitman
Found this thread a very interesting read.

Another interesting point too is that he will fatten up during the week but when we head to the ranch, he rarely eats any food and his ribs will start showing. Monday - Wednesday he will lay around most of the day. Thursday he is ready to go. Friday - Sunday is non stop.

This indicates a soft dog. Some people on another thread wrote that they prefer soft pups to a bold one. Maybe they an help you.

[Linked Image]

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7075365 02/12/18 02:46 PM
A
arandy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Every dog is different and there is no way I can give advice on a dog I have not hunted other than to say if the dog comes in for water panting heavy with tongue hanging way out, put the dog up until it cools off. A dog that runs hard needs to be protected because they can hurt themselves if you let them.

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: arandy] #7076424 02/13/18 04:26 AM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: arandy
Every dog is different and there is no way I can give advice on a dog I have not hunted other than to say if the dog comes in for water panting heavy with tongue hanging way out, put the dog up until it cools off. A dog that runs hard needs to be protected because they can hurt themselves if you let them.
This!

Bobby Barnett

Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS] #7084247 02/19/18 04:17 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don't think there is a pat answer. I ran my PP daily for a couple months before season on asphalt to get the body and feet hardened up, but it still depends on the weather. I usually start in the dakotas and if it is cold he can go till lunch. A couple hour break for me and then we may hunt till sundown. He will do this for 14 straight days and love it. I give him a light meal in the mornings and extra rations at night. Here in Texas when it is warm you have to watch him, especially if he is on birds, and cool him off with forced breaks. On warm days I limit him to around three and a half hours early morning and an hour and a half to two hours in the evening with frequent water. Hot weather is a bird dogs enemy. Some take the heat better than others, but they all take it better when they are in hunting shape. Bird dogs are bred to run and if the dog is fit, they can go all day in cold weather. When you see the tongue hanging out, it is not fatigue. It is because they are hot. Pay attention to them. In the cold a fit dog will run all day and the tongue stays in the mouth. If they are not in shape, they will be stoved up and you can see it the following day. A dog that is not in shape is also more vulnerable to injury if you hunt them hard.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: Smokey Bear] #7084497 02/19/18 02:13 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
I don't think there is a pat answer. I ran my PP daily for a couple months before season on asphalt to get the body and feet hardened up, but it still depends on the weather. I usually start in the dakotas and if it is cold he can go till lunch. A couple hour break for me and then we may hunt till sundown. He will do this for 14 straight days and love it. I give him a light meal in the mornings and extra rations at night. Here in Texas when it is warm you have to watch him, especially if he is on birds, and cool him off with forced breaks. On warm days I limit him to around three and a half hours early morning and an hour and a half to two hours in the evening with frequent water. Hot weather is a bird dogs enemy. Some take the heat better than others, but they all take it better when they are in hunting shape. Bird dogs are bred to run and if the dog is fit, they can go all day in cold weather. When you see the tongue hanging out, it is not fatigue. It is because they are hot. Pay attention to them. In the cold a fit dog will run all day and the tongue stays in the mouth. If they are not in shape, they will be stoved up and you can see it the following day. A dog that is not in shape is also more vulnerable to injury if you hunt them hard.
this

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide