6254566 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7049833 - 01/23/18 10:43 AM How long do you hunt your dog
JTS Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Wichita Co.
I don't have dogs to rotate so I can't just switch out dogs all day. I know temperature makes a big difference, but how long do you let your dog hunt if you will be hunting for a few days?

It seems like if I hunt my dog too much the first day of the hunt he gets worn out early on day 2. My GSP is in what I would call decent shape but he is young (1.5 year old). He hunts really hard the first day especially the first morning. I'm thinking maybe I should just hunt him for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the evening to keep him fresh for the next day?

#7049854 - 01/23/18 10:54 AM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
Barny Topwater Online   content
red bone Bob

Loc: New Braunfels TX USA
I will probably only run my dog 2 hour in the morning. Opening weekend I let him run too long and he was done for that afternoon. I wish I had a place to run him so he could be in better shape.
There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE

#7049901 - 01/23/18 11:19 AM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: Barny Topwater]
DuckedUp Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
I will probably only run my dog 2 hour in the morning. Opening weekend I let him run too long and he was done for that afternoon. I wish I had a place to run him so he could be in better shape.

How is your dog, Barney Topwater?

#7049931 - 01/23/18 11:46 AM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: Barny Topwater]
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Rowlett, Texas
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

Consider sore feet as much or more than being out of shape on opening weekend.

#7049936 - 01/23/18 11:49 AM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
scalebuster Online   content
Veteran Tracker

If Iím walking, the dogs better be able to run as long as I can if itís not too hot.

If theyíre running in front of the mule Iíll swap them out every hour. Theyíll last a long time like that.

#7049945 - 01/23/18 11:58 AM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker

Loc: DFW Area
Cool weather: young dogs 60 to 75 mins, over 9 yrs old about 45 mins.
60 degrees or warmer: young dogs 45 mins, over 9 yrs old about 30 mins.

#7050005 - 01/23/18 12:52 PM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy-Fulshear
Two hours in the morning and an hour in the afternoon for peak performance.

#7050221 - 01/23/18 03:48 PM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
JTS Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Wichita Co.
I could tell that I over hunted my GSP by the way he acted on the second day. He did OK on the second morning but didn't have that pep in his step like normal.

I hunted him from around 7:30 til 11:30 Saturday morning then again that evening from 4:30 til about 6 that evening, which is about 5.5 hours total for the day and the high got up to around 65. I'll definitely limit him to around 3 hours on day one next time.

#7050249 - 01/23/18 04:22 PM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy-Fulshear
I no longer hunt alone. We usually run out of time before we run out of dogs.

#7050260 - 01/23/18 04:28 PM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
Echo 80 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: East Texas
I have 2 that I switch out. Each one hunts 3-4 hours per day and can last about 2 days depending on conditions. I rarely boot them so its usually their pads that are wore.

#7050367 - 01/23/18 05:44 PM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: North Texas
This depends on your dog's motor, age, conditioning and outdoor temperature and humidity. Before attacking Kansas for pheasants this past fall I ran my retriever(5 years old) along my mountain bike, gradually increasing the distance. We both got a good workout. In the end, I hunted for 3 days and ran her approx. 1.5 - 2 hours in the morning and afternoon for all 3 days. She was ready for that, had a strong motor each day and had no need to recover after the 3rd day. Have plenty of water on hand. I give water after every 15 minutes or so, and she usually drinks it!

Pads were in great shape. I treated pads with Tuf Foot for months prior to going, during and after (as directed).

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

#7050376 - 01/23/18 05:49 PM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
scalebuster Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Two years ago I only had one French Brittany. I had her in good shape before my end of deer season lease started in January. I hunted her 30 days in January and February, including 7 days strait the first week from 8:00 until 4:00, or a limit was reached. We took short breaks and there was plenty of water on the ground for her to cool off in. I lost 15 pounds the first week. This was all walk hunting. By the end of season, I had a GREAT dog and I could put my fingers around her waist. Sheís never quit on me and has turned into the best dog Iíve ever had.

Every dog is an individual but once your mutt gets into hunting shape theyíre like a marathon runner and can go forever with plenty of water and good feed as long as itís cool. If Iím working a dog hard I give them a can of wet dog food with honey on it at 0500 on top of what they get at the end of the day. I live by my Papawís philosophy on bird dogs. ď I donít feed that son of a bitch to lay around.Ē

Itís nice to have plenty of dogs to switch out but that isnít always possible. Iím lucky enough to own a place I can exercise my mutts and keep them in decent shape year round, running and swimming.

I used to hunt with an old man that always had the best bird dogs Iíve hunted with, year after year. He hunted them almost every day of season in front of a mule for 5-6 hours and never kept more than 2-4 at one time. If they couldnít keep up they didnít make the cut. He was hard on dogs and by the end of season those pointers were nothing but calluses, hide, and muscle. Beautiful animals, thatís what a bird dog is supposed to look like.

#7050477 - 01/23/18 06:48 PM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
Drahthaar Offline
Bird Dog

Scalebuster, I agree keep them in shape and hunt them hard. Forrest

#7050503 - 01/23/18 07:01 PM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: scalebuster]
bobcat1 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Sanger, Texas
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Two years ago I only had one French Brittany. I had her in good shape before my end of deer season lease started in January. I hunted her 30 days in January and February, including 7 days strait the first week from 8:00 until 4:00, or a limit was reached. We took short breaks and there was plenty of water on the ground for her to cool off in. I lost 15 pounds the first week. This was all walk hunting. By the end of season, I had a GREAT dog and I could put my fingers around her waist. Sheís never quit on me and has turned into the best dog Iíve ever had.

Every dog is an individual but once your mutt gets into hunting shape theyíre like a marathon runner and can go forever with plenty of water and good feed as long as itís cool. If Iím working a dog hard I give them a can of wet dog food with honey on it at 0500 on top of what they get at the end of the day. I live by my Papawís philosophy on bird dogs. ď I donít feed that son of a bitch to lay around.Ē

Itís nice to have plenty of dogs to switch out but that isnít always possible. Iím lucky enough to own a place I can exercise my mutts and keep them in decent shape year round, running and swimming.

I used to hunt with an old man that always had the best bird dogs Iíve hunted with, year after year. He hunted them almost every day of season in front of a mule for 5-6 hours and never kept more than 2-4 at one time. If they couldnít keep up they didnít make the cut. He was hard on dogs and by the end of season those pointers were nothing but calluses, hide, and muscle. Beautiful animals, thatís what a bird dog is supposed to look like.
Yes Sir! Get them in shape before season and keep them in shape. They are amazing animals.

#7050523 - 01/23/18 07:14 PM Re: How long do you hunt your dog [Re: JTS]
68rustbucket Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: San Marcos, TX
Sig line - ďI donít feed that SOB to lay aroundĒ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide