Forum Stats
63273 Members
45 Forums
446190 Topics
6148968 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7046866 - 01/21/18 08:20 AM My first Hog Sticking!
jtprocaddie Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, Texas
Great time. I will be back!

#7046882 - 01/21/18 08:35 AM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: jtprocaddie]
Pig_Popper Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
It looked like a pleasant walk

#7047237 - 01/21/18 01:18 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: jtprocaddie]
CharlieCTx Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
You or anyone else...IMHO, this is the most unsportsmanlike way to hunt something. How is it sporting to have something held down for you to walk up to and stick? Go tackle one yourself and knife it, that would be video-worthy.

M&P-10+AAC Cyclone - Kel-Tec RFB+Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300
Pulsar XQ-50
ATN OTS 336-70mm 60hz Thermal Monocular
ATN OTS 336-30mm 9hz Thermal Monocular
ATN NVM14 NV Monocular

#7047296 - 01/21/18 02:16 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: CharlieCTx]
Monster_Raxx Offline
Bird Dog

Unsportsmanlike? Do you use thermal or hunt over bait? Because I'd like for you to explain how using dogs and a knife is not fair but using a scope in the dead of night that detects heat or dumping out corn is. If it's legal I support it. If you don't I'm sure PETA is looking for new members.

#7047299 - 01/21/18 02:16 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: CharlieCTx]
jtprocaddie Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
You or anyone else...IMHO, this is the most unsportsmanlike way to hunt something. How is it sporting to have something held down for you to walk up to and stick? Go tackle one yourself and knife it, that would be video-worthy.

Respect your opinion.. But it is more about eradication.. With dogs they can eradicate up to 10-20 hogs in a day... How many can you shoot at a feeder? It is one of the most effective way of dispatching hogs there is.

The catch dog is NOT released until we are right there by the group of dogs that have it bayed up (barking at it and keeping it busy not biting it). So it is only held down for very minimal time until it is stuck straight into the heart for a quick kill.

I would say learn a little more about it until you knock it.

#7047380 - 01/21/18 03:31 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: Monster_Raxx]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Monster_Raxx
Unsportsmanlike? Do you use thermal or hunt over bait? Because I'd like for you to explain how using dogs and a knife is not fair but using a scope in the dead of night that detects heat or dumping out corn is. If it's legal I support it. If you don't I'm sure PETA is looking for new members.

I do all of what you mentioned, but there's' no one holding it down while I shoot it.

Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
But it is more about eradication.. With dogs they can eradicate up to 10-20 hogs in a day... How many can you shoot at a feeder? It is one of the most effective way of dispatching hogs...

This has to be one of the more full of crap ideas you've yet to put forward.

Pulsar XQ-50
ATN NVM14 NV Monocular

#7047465 - 01/21/18 04:51 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: jtprocaddie]
der Teufel Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
When I go after hogs I don't worry much about sportsmanship. I want every advantage I can get!
I use the wind, bait, whatever optics I have, expanding bullets, game cameras whatever works.
Hogs are not a game animal in Texas, they're basically a nuisance.

I don't hunt with dogs and can't afford a helicopter, but I'm not going to criticize the folks who do as long as they don't trespass.

#7047543 - 01/21/18 05:29 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: CharlieCTx]
Txduckman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D

I do all of what you mentioned, but there's' no one holding it down while I shoot it.

But it is more about eradication.. With dogs they can eradicate up to 10-20 hogs in a day... How many can you shoot at a feeder? It is one of the most effective way of dispatching hogs...

This has to be one of the more full of crap ideas you've yet to put forward.

I guess you don't watch Carnivore with Gary Roberson... this is a method of hog control whether you like it or not. Shooting hogs over a feeder does nothing.

#7047555 - 01/21/18 05:35 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: jtprocaddie]
Monster_Raxx Offline
Bird Dog

We don't need anti hunters on this forum

#7047629 - 01/21/18 06:17 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: Txduckman]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I guess you don't watch Carnivore with Gary Roberson... this is a method of hog control whether you like it or not.

You're right, I don't watch hunting shows, I have better ways to spend my time. Where did I say it wasn't a method of hog control? I took issue with our videographer wannabe's comment of "it being one of the most effective way of dispatching hogs there is" and that I don't care to have my game held down while I attempt to kill it.

Your comment of "shooting hogs over a feeder does nothing", is that directed at killing or eradication? Lot's more killed that way vs knifing. Are we going to "eradicate" hogs by shooting them at corn feeders, of course not. Calling hog doggin' a method of eradication is ridiculous, you're just killing a few, which I'm all for.

We don't need anti hunters on this forum

I agree! up I even said "kill it" vs "harvest it", so what's your point?

Pulsar XQ-50
ATN NVM14 NV Monocular

#7047670 - 01/21/18 06:57 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: CharlieCTx]
jtprocaddie Offline
Pro Tracker

Are we going to "eradicate" hogs by shooting them at corn feeders, of course not. Calling hog doggin' a method of eradication is ridiculous, you're just killing a few, which I'm all for.

So in one day you can shoot 15-20 hogs at a feeder? Amazing I want to bee on your lease/property!

#7047683 - 01/21/18 07:06 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: jtprocaddie]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Are we going to "eradicate" hogs by shooting them at corn feeders, of course not. Calling hog doggin' a method of eradication is ridiculous, you're just killing a few, which I'm all for.

So in one day you can shoot 15-20 hogs at a feeder? Amazing I want to bee on your lease/property!
seen it done many times but usually in wheat fields or other agriculture. Shooting is deg more effective but stabbing sounds fun.

#7047738 - 01/21/18 07:34 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: jtprocaddie]
bigjoe8565 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mesquite, Tx
Not my cup of tea, but not critical of those who do.

#7047777 - 01/21/18 07:50 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: SapperTitan]
jtprocaddie Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
seen it done many times but usually in wheat fields or other agriculture. Shooting is deg more effective but stabbing sounds fun.[/quote]

Very good point. But More directed at feeder hunting... Not trying to knock any style by any means.

#7047862 - 01/21/18 08:40 PM Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: jtprocaddie]
Txduckman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
Hunting ag field vs a feeder is no comparison. I have ran out of bullets in a field with just a bolt action (ironcially that field was featured in an unfortunate video posted here last year). Point is, each method is most effective in certain situations.

Carnivore is not your regular show. Gary is a member here. His last show was filmed with one of our favorite members on his ranch. On another show he does a hog dog hunt for hog control so it was good to see how it was done even though he sticks with filming that one. I just stick to the ole rifle myself. up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide