Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tis a sad day...... #7041514 01/17/18 02:13 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Okay... Not sure how much this is related to "hunting" but, bear with it...

Pitchfork...Erathkid...

Suz and I have decided to sell our ranch.

Now, before we all go "noooo...!".. yes, I am doing that too, here are the reasons..and I need you guys to be my sounding board for logic because, I am sure, you all would have the same mindset.

1 - it is 5 hours away, easy....sometimes more when we have kids and lots of stops. That means that gas and food and what all costs at least $300 every time we go out there.

2 - We pay, with the loan payment, like $1500 a month just to won it. Now, that is a phone line, electricity, insurance, land, internet, whatever related to having it the way it is. AND.. it is almost all equity and paid off in like 12-ish years. So, not as bad as it sounds.. but.. wait for it..

3 - The PoA... full of jac..bad people that are pains in the rear. They leave us alone for about a year and a half then start rumors etc that cause an uproar till I smack them down and then all usually dies down for another year or so. Due to this, and the drama and whispers, so many good people we know out there and have met, no longer talk to us. We have a website where we used to get tons of conversations, helping each other out.. now, no traffic and the only people we talk to is about 4 owners. We have more friends out there, but we are the minority so, most stay low key.

Okay...

That being said.. reasons to keep:

1 - Serenity. Middle of freaking nowhere.. end of road...as long as we do not talk to the poa...deal with them.. they do not bother us except maybe every year and a half when they start more crap with us.. then it usually lasts a few months and all hell breaks loose.

2 - Exotics. TONS of things "TO" hunt....but, I get out there so seldom, I am usually fixing things and doing projects, hunting has gotten to be something I do to rest.

3 - Electricity.. the cabin.. lots of good memories there.

4 - 330 acres, we own it... well, us and our uncle....but, no-one to tell us what to do.

SO.. the deal is this:

We told our realtor that we would not ever sell unless we located something no more than 2 hours....not "from Austin" but from "our house"....i.e. when I have to go thru Austin, it adds an hour.

We will not pay 30k to add electricity...unless it is part of the deal and gets added as we buy.. i.e. we want the electricity.

We want at least a 1-2acreMINIMUM pond.. and not a mudhole.. (notice I did not say sh****lo?.. lol)..We took the kids out to a local pond, had to threaten them to stop fishing.. lol..

I want Pecan trees.. if it has those, then it has Oaks.. and not some mesquite covered scrub brush place.

At least 100 acres, prefer 250 or more, but I am realistic.

And we role every penny of our profit into the new place..... and if it has a house, great.. REAL one.. not some shanty a deer hunter glued together.. or.. we have one built like the barn we had done at the house.. heh.. so we bring all we had at the other cabin there.

So...am I crazy?

Oh, and an ag or wlm exemption not in Edwards County.. lol

I hate.. HATE to sell our place, and won't, unless we know for certain we can get the serenity we have there.....

But I want to get to my ranch more than 4-6 times a year.

Okay, besides, "you are nuts".. what would you all do?

Sorry for the long post.. I want to get a place I can hunt more.. I will bring exotics in if need be.. but I need to be able to get TO it more....but, if that place does not exist.. well, I am happy to hold what I have.

But, I think we can sell somewhere between 2300-2800 an acre.. and with that sort of cash.. we should be able to get something nice....

The guy down the road from ours just was told 110,000 dollars for HIM to get electricity. THAT.. adds value to us.

I hate that he cannot get it though frown

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041573 01/17/18 02:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Only you can really answer that.
I think your answer is probably to sell though - you don’t think that long and hard on something you don’t really want to do.
Never heard of a POA on a 330 acre ranch, that’s a new one on me. Sorry for all the troubles.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041605 01/17/18 03:05 PM
D
doogie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Probably sell.
2 hr drive is a good bench mark not to exceed.
But as you know, It will be hard to get all your wants , with in a 2 hours drive, for the amount you sell your current place.

Are you going to try and sell just your acres or are you going to try and sell both yours and your family members land at the same time?
$1800-$2150 per acre is about right but then you can add in value for any house/cabin you have.
PROPERTY LINK (link of a property in your area)
I would keep an eye out on Lands of Texas and have your realtor keep looking.

A mistake I made when I sold a ranch near Waco, was not having my new place lined up so I could transfer the profit from the old place into the purchase of the new.
You may want to check with your CPA so you save some taxes on the sale/profit of your current place if you coordinate it properly.

Last edited by doogie; 01/17/18 04:47 PM.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041610 01/17/18 03:11 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
doogie is referring to a 1031 Exchange. Be sure to look into it.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041613 01/17/18 03:11 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Sell and buy closer. Yes you will loose a lot of hunting such as exotics, but the way I'm reading it, you don't get to hunt them very much anyway. And buy where there is no POA.
I made the same decision that you are trying to make now. I had a wonderful place only two hours from my house in Fort Worth. Then I moved to Texarkana, now I'm six hours away, one way. It broke my heart to sell it but now I have a new place one hour away. My wife and I are old...70 plus, but we still enjoy working on the property, putting in food plots, etc. So, we decided that this is just a new chapter in our life. By the way, I got everything that I wanted and 1/3 more land at only 2/3 the cost. So, I did not roll everything into the new place, I left a little for me to play with and to be able to use on the land as I see fit. Example, two brand new stands.
So, the question is: if you are only getting to go 5 times a year and having to fight with the POA, can you find a place that you will like just as much and get to be there more often and not have POA to deal with.....the answer is yes you can. It will just take a little time.I spent months on landsoftexas.com to find properties. You can put in requirements like house, minimum size, maximum price, etc. In fact I found all three that I have owned looking there without an agent. However, I did use an agent when buying the properties as that was no cost to me.
One of the new stands that I bought for the wife at our new property

Last edited by Mr. T.; 01/17/18 03:40 PM.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041649 01/17/18 03:29 PM
L
lmd59 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
We have a lake house in the hill country that we get to about once per year because it is 4.5 hours away from where we live. We bought a piece of property about 1.5 hours from our home and go there practically every weekend and love it. We're selling the lake house. When we go there - get off work on Friday take the 4.5 hour drive, get there in the dark, get everything open, Saturday - mow lawn, clean up yard and lot next to it that we own, drink a couple of beers, generally too tired to go fishing, Sunday - get up, clean house and head back home. I'd say find something closer that you can enjoy more often, but as someone said earlier - you've got to be the one to make that decision. Good luck.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041666 01/17/18 03:37 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Pretty simple in my opinion. If you can't use it often, sell it. It doesn't hold much value if you can't frequent it.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: lmd59] #7041667 01/17/18 03:38 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: lmd59
We have a lake house in the hill country that we get to about once per year because it is 4.5 hours away from where we live. We bought a piece of property about 1.5 hours from our home and go there practically every weekend and love it. We're selling the lake house. When we go there - get off work on Friday take the 4.5 hour drive, get there in the dark, get everything open, Saturday - mow lawn, clean up yard and lot next to it that we own, drink a couple of beers, generally too tired to go fishing, Sunday - get up, clean house and head back home. I'd say find something closer that you can enjoy more often, but as someone said earlier - you've got to be the one to make that decision. Good luck.

That sounds exactly like our 'weekends' at the lake place three hours away but we will try to hold on longer as it was mom and dad's place.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041685 01/17/18 03:47 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
The time it takes to get there will mean a world of difference in what you can get done there. Late November, my Girlfirend's dad had a stroke while he was in the middle of a plumbing project(He's actually recovering nicely, but that's a different story), and he was obviously unable to finish. He had pipes dug up and exposed around the house, and the freeze was going to be setting in soon. Not good. If the ranch was 5 hours away, there would have not been much that could be done. Since it was only an hour and a half, I took off work one Wednesday, grabbed my brother in law, drove down and finished his project. Being that close means a whole hell of a lot. My cabin is 5 1/2 hours, and I'm lucky to get two work weekends a year. All the work has come out of hunting weekends.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041696 01/17/18 03:56 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
No sir, you are not crazy at all. Sell it and find something closer to home. Everything happens for a reason. Dollars to donuts, bet y'all love the new place when you find it, just as much, if not more so then your current ranch.

Good luck!

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041772 01/17/18 04:45 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I assume a POA is like a HOA, does a POA hold the same type of power as a HOA?

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041838 01/17/18 05:36 PM
A
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I went with you to your place quite a while back and that was before all the improvements. it is tough to sell a place like that, but like others have advised, it might be best in the long run. I used to have a small place in LaSalle County, but it was a 4 hour drive and hardly ever got to use it. So we sold it and used the proceeds to pay down the mortgage on the house. Best approach would be to assume you have a place and you are at retirement age. From that perspective, close makes a lot of sense. From north of Austin, you might look between Llano and San Angelo. True, the prices are higher but there's exotics etc. but a much shorter drive.

No prayer in school....What's next, no thinking in church?
It's not just about pie in the sky when you die. It's also about steak on your plate while you wait!
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041840 01/17/18 05:37 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks guys, appreciate the moral support. Not an easy thing to do... easy decision, hard to let it go even though we only had it 8 years heh.

BUT, we will build a nice place elsewhere we can enjoy more.

We will not sell till we have at least a couple places lined up. We are already looking at the 1031 exchange so we do not pay the taxes.

PoA is like HoA... and this one is so full of hate and anger...only thing that saved me was being right... still does not help. So.. no PoA/HoA is top of the list wink

Will let you all know how it works out.

It is an awesome ranch, surrounded by awesome people.. just a few minor back ends out there, but they are not close to me and cannot do anything... the real driving motive is the distance, flat and simple.

So... on the market it goes once we locate something closer:)

Thanks!

Russ

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041844 01/17/18 05:40 PM
A
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Nobody mentioned this, but if you have the mineral rights to the place, KEEP THEM! (You never know what they might find)

No prayer in school....What's next, no thinking in church?
It's not just about pie in the sky when you die. It's also about steak on your plate while you wait!
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041873 01/17/18 05:54 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
sell, have thought about finding something west of Austin, BUT such a pain to drive though, looking for something south and west.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041907 01/17/18 06:22 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
as others have stated, if you can't enjoy spending time on the property, sell and find something closer, even if smaller. Cedar Creek as in west of Bastrop? Might be a tough deal to find something within 2 hours without going thru Austin, but maybe around it up towards Lampasas/Adamsville/Evant/Lometa ... unless you went south.

Imd59, which lake in the hill country???

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041926 01/17/18 06:34 PM
S
SeaIsleAl Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
You might want to look around Milano, Gause and Marlin. That area has good surface water ponds and nice trees.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041934 01/17/18 06:43 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Sound a lot like why many folks sell property, I think you're over thinking it, take your toys and find another sandbox, without a POA.
The memories of people, places & things remain in your mind long after they're gone, make new ones, I can almost guarantee they'll be better ones without the headache's & costs of lengthy travel and the PITA POA.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041959 01/17/18 06:58 PM
T
TBS Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
My wife and I bought 12 acres around Lake Fork less than a year ago. There are deed restrictions, but no POA/HOA. Just over the last few weeks there have been major blow ups and neighbors getting mad at each other over nothing. Now they are discussing forming a POA to inforce the deed restrictions. I told them if that happened we would be selling our property. I think it has calmed down, but we are still considering selling the property just because they have forming a POA in their minds....I'm not dealing with that BS.

"I Ain't Often Right But I've Never Been Wrong"

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7041987 01/17/18 07:18 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We used to do the yard work, basic repairs and maintenance on our place in Ruidoso. It consumed a lot of our time while we were there. We found a guy that did odd jobs, was reasonable and did good work. Now we show up and the work is finished, yes it costs us money, but at our age, we can afford it, and it leaves us the free time to enjoy the place.

The 5 hour drive? Ours is 6 at a minimum but we have taken up to 7 hours or 10 hours sometimes. As long as the side road is going in the general direction it is not safe, we may just take it. We have been down roads that most people would not think of driving. How many people can say they have seen a stucco trailer house? We have.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7042649 01/18/18 03:27 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
You don't have to do a simultaneous closing to do a 1031. You can park the proceeds with a qualified intermediary and you will have 45 days to identify up to three properties and 180 days to close. Just don't touch the cash between transactions. If the new or old properties have personal property you will need to be careful. You will need to invest the cash plus the amount of the loan paid off at closing to defer 100% of the gain but you don't have to defer all of it. Good luck!

Last edited by jnd59; 01/18/18 03:32 AM.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7042670 01/18/18 03:41 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We're selling our property in the hill country. 1/2 of it Dad bought in '68. It's hard to do, but it's time to move on and the hill country around Fbg. ain't what it used to be.

'Glad to get away from some of the neighbors, but, unless you buy an island, you're always gonna have them. I try real hard to be "neighborly", but I try like hell to never talk to them because they always want something, like access, etc. 'Guess that's just human nature. One (a surgeon) thought we ought to let his bulldozer operator shape our land, basically because he put his house right on the fence line. (Long, winding drive to his place from the road - trying to make 50 acres look like 500.)

We're gonna let the "ego farmers" have that area.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7042720 01/18/18 04:20 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Was at the Pitchfork with Marc. Im sure he will chime in once he gets hime tonight or tomorrow.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7042845 01/18/18 01:02 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Russ, I'm with the guys. After having that land for 8 years, you've probably learned some things to make the next place better No POA (crazy) and shorter drive for starters.

I'd keep the eyes and mind open when looking a properties tho, one with the pond you like, may be worth getting a quote for electric if there is none, or you may find everything but the pond, but can you have one built on it? Doing some improvements are actually fun "to me", but in any case, this whole ordeal could be a huge lifetime positive.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7042883 01/18/18 01:40 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Agreed all. The hard part is finding as close as I can get, but enough land to hunt.. plus the pond.

If we are, for instance, able to get 700k, after all said and done, for the ranch (this is NET)...and we locate a nice place for 500-600k, we can roll the rest into bringing in electricity, building a new cabin, adding septic etc.

The options are good, but it will be hard to downsize. I do love not seeing my neighbors heh

Thanks for all the input!

Will let you all know how it works out. Just have to see what we can feasibly sell for, per acre. We had an appraisal like.. 2014, for 2050 an acre, but prices have shot up like mad since then and people losing WLM exemptions, but we have ours, and electricity is just stupid priced down there. The guy less than 2 miles from me just got a quote for 110k to run it from me to him.

We have a lot going for us. The tax appraisal is like 2042, so should be able to get 2800 or so if we hold out.

Either way, we have a great place, and the people around us are good people.. poa leaves us alone and them, just hate "me" heh... so a great place for someone else :P

Russ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide