Print Thread
New camo Vs old camo #7040242 01/16/18 05:00 PM
H
HiBanksDeer Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Ok so with all these high dollar brands coming out with all these new camo patterns and such, how much do you think the "improvements" in camo patterns really help? The camo my dad wore way back when still worked, and even the red plaid jackets that most of our fathers and grandfathers wore worked just fine. Worth the money on the new stuff, or no?

HiBanks Ranch Red Deer and Labrador Retrievers
"Big Tines & Straight Lines"
Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7040322 01/16/18 05:44 PM
T
trigger time Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I think if your going to spend money on new stuff look at the materials and weight more than the pattern. A lot of the new stuff is designed to hide from animals that see differently than we do as opposed to blending in like a leaf or a tree. I have both and use both, and have found you can wear a neon orange or a ghillie suit and be successful. All boils down to hunting skills, not your camo pattern. At least for big game.

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7040327 01/16/18 05:49 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
that is a very "depends" question, and not if the old timer wore them or not, but what kind of hunting and what kind of animals do you have...

bow hunting for deer in a treestand, I think newer camo can make a difference. Playing wind helps most, and plenty of people shoot deer from treestands in plain clothes or old camo, but I do think there is something to some of the newer patterns that help with treestand hunting vs the old "green blob" up in the tree. Now deer can't see color as well as people so how much that makes a difference who knows??

Box blind hunting it makes no difference.

If you plan to varmint hunt, that's a whole different ballgame. I do think the newer patterns help with hunting coyotes.

Big game hunting for elk, moose, caribou, sheep, etc...I am sure it makes a difference but I don't hunt those so I don't know for sure.

Bottom line, I choose to get the best gear I can for the most widely adaptable uses I can, and get the best fit, function, and form I can. Many times that involves getting expensive clothing, sometimes it doesn't. But to me, purchases like this are solely an economic choise, if you have the need and want to spend the money, feel free. If you don't have the money, you can make just about anything else work.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 01/16/18 05:50 PM.
Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7040342 01/16/18 06:01 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I agree, depends on the use.
Treestand hunting and any kind of incoming bird hunting (turkey, duck, dove) require good, effective camo.

The significance goes way down from there - just about anything that breaks up your outline and doesn’t “blob” at distance will work fine. The more open patterns work best. Really, anything that blends and/or breaks up your outline will work fine. I rarely wear camo sheep hunting - drab clothes that blend with the terrain work best. The only camo I have taken on my sheep hunts is a Kuiu down jacket and a pair of lightweight wool pants I like. They are part of my gear because I like their performance, the camo aspect had nothing to do with it - they just happened to only be available in camo.

Like cartridge selection between similar calibers, camo is one of those things that is WAY over-hyped and over-analyzed. The marketing machines are always going full bore - and it has worked.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7040374 01/16/18 06:28 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I tell ya, my hunting buddy got the complete Kryptic Highlander set up ant it freekin works !!!

I guess I'm lucky, all these high dollar camo clothing companies don't make "MENS" sizes.

I asked the KUIU lady at the Safari Club show, why they didn't make 4XL-5XL. She looked at me like I was an idiot....a Fat idiot...

Then it hit me

1. You don't see any 300# "operators"
2. You don't see too many 300# sheep hunters

Guess I'm stuck with my Mossy Oak Break-up from Omar the Tent Maker food

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7040415 01/16/18 07:02 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Got one pair f high-dollar Kuiu pants. They work, but I get very confused with all the pockets! And, I'm the maximum waist (40) that they make. That irks me. I'm sure there are 42" waist men out there that can physically do a physically challenging hunt, but the marketing research probably doesn't justify carrying them in inventory.

I saw an ad on another forum for chamois hunts in Europe and the guys in the pictures are all wearing super high dollar clothing. 'Thing is, they all stand out like a clown against that background. They got their chamois, so I guess it doesn't matter, but, as stated above, I'm pretty sure that drab, different solid colors would work just as well and sometimes maybe better.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7040505 01/16/18 08:04 PM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
There may be something to patterns, likely has some benefit, what I have no idea. I have never bought "hunting clothes" based on a pattern. To me, that is the one of the last things I consider. All of the new high tech, high dollar hunting gear is MORE about functionality.

If you hunt out of a box blind, you aren't going to be any more camouflaged by wearing camo inside of it. You also won't likely benefit greatly by spending lots of money on high tech gear, when all you are doing is "sitting" in a blind.

Tree stand/bow hunters similar things could be said, however camo of some sort is important to help break up your silhouette. You are also exposed to weather more than a box blind hunter however most anything will work to keep you warm.

The real intent of the high-end camo you see coming out these days, (Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek, SixSite, etc. etc.) is meant for the MOBILE hunter. By that I mean, someone that is hiking distance on a daily basis, in constantly changing weather. This is PERFORMANCE WEAR, not just clothing. Liken it to someone that is a mountaineer. They climb mountains for fun. They do it in the best gear on the planet because it is flexible with changing weather, lightweight, and has as many performance enhancing advantages as one can think of or has thought of (quick drying/ventilation, decrease sweating, stretch, the advantages are numerous). Would you want to do that in some carhartts, denim jeans or a cotton shirt? Well, no disrespect to mountaineers, but a lot of hunters are doing the exact same thing. We may not be summitt-ing 20,000ft+ peaks but we are ascending, descending & traversing many times very difficult terrain, hiking 5-10 miles a day with loads on our backs in the back country. Gear weight, durability, performance is a huge deal. Sure, it can be done in cheaper less technically advanced clothing but if you have the ability to increase your chances of being successful (successful meaning not killing an animal, but successfully completing the adventure, hike, ascent, descent all with less effort compared to wearing basic non-technically advanced gear etc.) then it is worth it. It is simply PERFORMANCE WEAR (North Face, Arc Teryx, Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia, Marmot, etc. etc.) with a camouflage pattern on it and often times some "hunter minded accessories/needs" added on. That's the difference and the reason for the cost. At least that is how I see it.

CR, I would agree 100%. It's disappointing they limit the sizes as they do. I know a lot of avid outdoorsman that are significantly larger than a 40" waist that could put a hurting on anyone at elevation any time any day. I assume that is more to do with those guys being not the norm and therefore it decreases the suppliers need to discount odd sizes at the end of the year decreasing profit margins. But still, a 40" waist is like the new 32" waist. bolt AMERICA!

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7040614 01/16/18 09:29 PM
H
HiBanksDeer Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
That was my thought. Application, application, application. All depends on the use. I like the new stuff and am not opposed in anyway to it. I just wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were. Personally, I don't give a rip how it looks, if it is going to be the best suitable gear for what I need, I'm all about it. No matter the brand.

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7041134 01/17/18 03:08 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
When I was in Namibia, our bushmen trackers wore bright blue pants with bright red shirts. It appeared to have absolutely no impact on the hunt and it certainly made me rethink my hunting clothing, at least for big game. Quite frankly, I think that we've all been sold a bill of goods.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7041815 01/17/18 05:22 PM
H
HiBanksDeer Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Syncerus, I've experienced the same thing. Was a crazy thing to see for the first time. Not to mention all the cigarettes that they smoked while tracking animals, and somehow I still had a successful hunt.

Last edited by HiBanksDeer; 01/17/18 05:22 PM.

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7042045 01/17/18 07:47 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
New camo is worth the money for the improvements to the clothing itself and staying comfortable. I don’t care one bit about the pattern.

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7047061 01/21/18 04:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I don’t look at it’s a new camo vs old more new technical textiles vs old textiles

Kuiu and Stika exist for same reason Mountain hardware and Arc’teryx exist, they are safer in harsh remote places then wranglers and carhart. With that said the mountain textile industry has crossed over to the casual and everyday market and there are some great deals if you can get over wearing solids.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7051715 01/24/18 10:18 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I don’t look at it’s a new camo vs old more new technical textiles vs old textiles

Kuiu and Stika exist for same reason Mountain hardware and Arc’teryx exist, they are safer in harsh remote places then wranglers and carhart. With that said the mountain textile industry has crossed over to the casual and everyday market and there are some great deals if you can get over wearing solids.

I prefer solids for most hunts. Light, earth-tone solids.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7051850 01/24/18 11:55 PM
M
MClark Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I was watching Boddinton's Africa hunting show. They had to stalk across open ground to shoot some beast but they kept spooking the game. The animals did not run from the local Masai who wore bright red robes. Into the local market, buy red robes and the stalk was successful.
It's all what the animals are used too.

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7052391 01/25/18 02:49 PM
D
driedmeat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I agree with solids or light colored camos. I think of it this way... we've all seen deer(who are obviousely solid color for the most part) that seemed to appear out of nowhere. Also seen deer turn or step behind thin cover and nearly disappear. For sitting still (tripod, treestand, or sitting on the ground) it can depend on your background.

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: driedmeat] #7053881 01/26/18 04:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: driedmeat
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I agree with solids or light colored camos. I think of it this way... we've all seen deer(who are obviousely solid color for the most part) that seemed to appear out of nowhere. Also seen deer turn or step behind thin cover and nearly disappear. For sitting still (tripod, treestand, or sitting on the ground) it can depend on your background.

Had more than a few outfitters tell me the best use of camo is to help them pick out the hunters at the airport. smile

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7054484 01/27/18 01:51 AM
G
gollygee Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Black Carhartts and a black T shirt has always worked well for me, except for crows. They are real smart.

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7060866 02/01/18 12:27 AM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Didn't you hear from the president of Kuiu, they want to be an aspirational brand , not for fat guys or women. I will never own any Kuiu.
Patterns that break up your outline and quiet fabrics are important to me. The newer fabrics are much quieter in the elk woods and some of the new fabrics are great in cold weather without weighing a ton.
I believe the reason old timers didn't wear camo is because all they had was military stuff and not much else. There is a good reason they wore plaid patterns, it breaks up your outline.

Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7098320 03/02/18 04:10 AM
M
mphunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
As mentioned above and as a big fan of Sitka gear, the camo patterns I believe have advanced, but the materials and fit are awesome!

Last edited by mphunter; 03/02/18 04:11 AM.
Re: New camo Vs old camo [Re: HiBanksDeer] #7100679 03/04/18 04:56 PM
A
AnythingSportsman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
I like my skre gear, lightweight, comfortable and affordable.

A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.
www.AnythingSportsman.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide