Friends, you have very valid points. I am going to explain, and please take this as discussion, not as defensive.. I agree totally with you. I have to ask myself if "I" am the problem all the time and, yes.. it is me.

Let me explain why I say this. If someone tells me that if I move a gate 800 ft up the road, because I own both tracts on each side but the gate only covers one, they tell me that I am responsible for all the road repairs behind the gate after that.

I can either fight that ruling by the PoA board, or I can pay to have 1-2 miles of roads repairs myself.

Now, the gate was already there, and they were responsible for the roads before. All I did was move the gate 800 ft forward... same combination. Their reasoning was the road people could not be responsible for remembering the combinations to every gate, even though the combo did not change.

So, I fought it.

In doing so, I uncovered that one owner(and wife) had gotten a 1-mile long easement for electricity across their neighbor's place, and then charged everyone after them for access to that new line on their place. They were the President of the PoA at the time, and so.. in looking into it, I had to ask what was going on when the neighbor decided not to pay his dues when he found out.

So, am I the cause? You bet.

I do not put up with liars, thieves, and people that would tell me what to do when they have no legal authority, and I stand up to bullies when I see that 50 owners have been taken advantage of.

Last year, the PoA had a huge fight, instigated by me, when I discovered that after 8 years of voting, and years of reminding people, the same group of 4 people running the PoA had taken it upon themselves not to charge everyone the same PoA dues, some not being charged anything at all. We discovered that instead of letting us help them, they had accidentally dissolved the PoA, and had I not gotten involved and discovered it and walked down to the state office personally, there would be no PoA and thus no road repairs.

I proudly say I stand up to people like that and, while there are people that hate me with a passion out there, I do not care. I am working to get electricity to everyone out there, from my land, because it is the right thing to do. I bought 6 polaris tires, wheels and all, and leave them out there for all to use as needed, rather than driving a 4-5 hour round trip to replace it... and I give water out when needed.

I am drama incarnated.. lol..but, it is okay.

PoAs are not all bad, they get bad when good people do nothing.

So, if it sells, it sells. If it does not, I do not care.

We will see what we will see.

heh

And, again.. good points and very valid.

Originally Posted By: friendswoodmatt
Good luck and sorry to hear about your situation-- A couple things I picked up on though --
1. /if the POA is that bad-- is it a known thing they are that difficult? If so it might make it tougher to sell-- might not -- but we recently bought in Kimble county and I specifically said I didn't want a POA because of stories I had heard about them
2. You mention that you have had a number of problems over the years with HOA's and POA's -- I dont know you, but is it possible you are part of the problem? Does drama just follow you?
'
As far as the drive-- I swore before we bought our place I wouldn't drive more than 3 hours-- now I drive 5 -- why did I fold on the drive time? Simple-- I found an app called Audible-- its books on tape. These books are anywhere between 5- 65 hours long. The whole family gets into them-- We have been listening to the Longmire series lately-- we all get into the story and it makes the miles fly by. I actually look forward to the drive so I can resume the book-- I dont like to drive either, so I am not one of those guys who looks forward to driving.
When we go to the ranch we hit play when we leave and pause when we stop--if the kids god to sleep we change over to the book my wife and I are listening to and resume when they wake up if we haven't arrived yet. That being said, my kids are older and it makes it much easier for me to go (plus we dont have crazy activities with them that keep us anchored to home every single weekend year round, we do have some but it generally just during the fall) . We dont always take the dogs either-- we have a neighbor girl who will for 10 bucks a day feed them when we are gone--
Heck my kids are old enough that we can leave them home as well youngest is 16 now.
When we bought the place I made the family commit to going once per month and it has worked great.I go more often, but we are building a house and barn rt now, so I need to be there more often.
I also found I like to drive at night-- it really cuts down on the traffic as well as the stops, since usually everyone falls asleep during the trip (well not me lol) and they wake up when we are close. Sure I am a little tired when I get there, but I can sleep when I am dead, and a short nap or letting the wife drive on the way back for a few hours solves this.
This is what works for us-- if you are truly torn then maybe try that-- if you are done however, then you are done.

On the power issue -- is this PEC? I spoke to a neighbor of mine here and he just recently had power run on his place and ran it 2.3 miles at a cost of 34k. 110k for 9000 feet sounds very high, to me-- perhaps its more difficult there-- we have hills and canyons as well so idk,
Not trying to be a pit stirrer and perhaps I read the post wrong-- just my .02

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.