Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7045571 01/20/18 03:19 AM
S
sillyhorses Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I figured that for the cost of running and maintaining the Rockspring property I could easily purchase a exotic hunt off a outfitter and be money ahead. I have already tagged a monster nilgai and plus a super axis. I was fed up with the 6 hour drive definitely. Have great hunting here with just a Ranger ride through the pasture.
I think you are doing the right thing John. Good luck!

Dryberry was the last lake God created and it took the entire seventh day.
Dryberry Lake Sioux Narrows, Ontario, Canada (a.k.a. Heaven)
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7045709 01/20/18 08:27 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks. I think the hardest part now will be getting "enough land"...i.e., how much is 'enough land'? That really depends on the land and layout etc. All I know is, giving up 330 acres, end of road, cannot see or hear a person unless they are coming to visit you specifically.

When you downsize, and we will surely end up downsizing to get closer....where is that fine line of close enough, but large enough?

Time will tell if we find that. The move is right, let's hope the next one gets there.

I have hunted 25 acres and been happy, but sure was nice hunting 330 heh.

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7045733 01/20/18 10:55 AM
S
sillyhorses Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Ha! I hear and have felt your pain. And to answer that question, truly, life will never be the same. But we as humans adjust & adapt to what's best for us. Yes, I now here neighbors dogs barking, road traffic, boats on the Gulf and more air planes overhead. I despise it....but realize this is reality and the world we live in.
But I am proud to say that I have taken 2 wallhanger bucks, have hogs in the back yard, and waterfowl on my ponds. Small game and predators cross the property daily and though I gave up the serenity of Edwards county everyday here is a adventure.
I promised myself a exotic hunt yearly and I'm doing just that and you should do also. Kinda curbs the hill country itch. Bought a nice boat for the Gulf and fishing rather than driving is back into my life. That 12 hour round trip is a bunch of water time!

There are many, many positives to owning close by property and yes, it will never be the same as Edwards county but will have characteristics positive on its own. I constantly catch myself checking the real estate listings in Rocksprings and dreaming. But I know the distance is not feasible and reality has me planted right here happy on the Gulf Coast. Might drive out there sometime just for a visit, and to remind myself how much I hated that 6 hour drive! Ha!!

Dryberry was the last lake God created and it took the entire seventh day.
Dryberry Lake Sioux Narrows, Ontario, Canada (a.k.a. Heaven)
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7045761 01/20/18 12:22 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have the same problem as others here. I bought 133 acres of "junk" land about 35 years ago South of Bowie for $400 per acre. End of road and good for nothing but hunting. I've gotten a road through it, put in a 1.5 acre pond and had some cleared for wheat patches. Got a trailer house, shipping container, barn, etc. Then tractor, 4 wheelers. In other words, I have it all. But, I'm 75 yoa and figure it's time to sell. Haven't said anything about it though. Then, my 18 YOA Grandson was there the other day. He told me that he was looking forward to having a Kids and seeing them running around the place like he had done since he was in diapers. Now what? I could always use $400K. But I understand my Grandson and don't want to disappoint him.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7045790 01/20/18 01:33 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Been reading this post looked up got deer all over me. Get closer to home so you can enjoy. I have done so and hunt all I want and have lots great memories plus still making new ones! Wish you well.

I know allot about everything-Everything about nothing!!!!
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7045833 01/20/18 02:30 PM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
My opinion, but extra property and vehicles are purely luxury items. Theses ranches can easily get into the million dollar price point. While they have appreciated quite well, they eat a lot of money and should be a small enough percentage of your net worth.

If it’s too big, your life will start to revolve around the land, rather than the land serving you.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: Dave Davidson] #7045834 01/20/18 02:30 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I have the same problem as others here. I bought 133 acres of "junk" land about 35 years ago South of Bowie for $400 per acre. End of road and good for nothing but hunting. I've gotten a road through it, put in a 1.5 acre pond and had some cleared for wheat patches. Got a trailer house, shipping container, barn, etc. Then tractor, 4 wheelers. In other words, I have it all. But, I'm 75 yoa and figure it's time to sell. Haven't said anything about it though. Then, my 18 YOA Grandson was there the other day. He told me that he was looking forward to having a Kids and seeing them running around the place like he had done since he was in diapers. Now what? I could always use $400K. But I understand my Grandson and don't want to disappoint him.

Somebody has to maintain all that or it reverts back to 'junk land' a lot faster than most folks think.
If your grandson has the gumption, interest & time you can teach him all he needs to know to care for the property just like you do. If his idea is just to let his future kids enjoy it without someone consistently doing all the hard work you put into it over the years, grandpa owes him a reality check.

I've seen it too many times to count, spend 10 - 20 years or a lifetime building up / improving a place
owner dies or reaches an age he can't keep it up, kids / family wants it kept for family use only no one has the time money most importantly knowledge on how to do so.
So the place goes downhill, not that many years go by & the place is in ruins compared to what it was like when grandpa was around.
Now it isn't worth near as much as it wouldve been as when grandpa had it in top shape.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7046582 01/21/18 01:50 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Agree Rustler. I was raised on a horse and tractor. My Grandson, although a good kid, was raised on a video game.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7046723 01/21/18 06:50 AM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
If drive time is the killer for your peace of mind...sell. Just remember this, the reason you got the land in the first place was "the price was right" and it was in the boonies. Get closer to home, pay a LOT more for LESS land?? Who is to say you will not have to deal with more a..holes who paid a ton for their property and do not want anyone hunting/shooting around their farm/ranch?
Just askin...

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: DH3] #7046797 01/21/18 01:05 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: DH3
If drive time is the killer for your peace of mind...sell. Just remember this, the reason you got the land in the first place was "the price was right" and it was in the boonies. Get closer to home, pay a LOT more for LESS land?? Who is to say you will not have to deal with more a..holes who paid a ton for their property and do not want anyone hunting/shooting around their farm/ranch?
Just askin...

You make the argument that will always be the number one reason to think long and hard about buying land rather than leasing.
So many on here have said, "that is why I bought my own land" which is great, but as long as there are people around it's a roll of the dice, and there will always be people you will have to deal with, both good and bad.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7046875 01/21/18 02:26 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Well, good point, but let me clarify. Dealing with the PoA has been annoying, but I have always been able to handle them. I stay "in the right" and they are powerless. When they screw with me, I hit them hard, make it public, and "shot them down" with facts, law, and they leave me alone for a while.

While you are 110% right, I could end up with bad neighbors, the people "around" my ranch have always been friends because I kill them with kindness and being a good neighbor.

I am not worried about dealing with neighbors, especially when I can get out there more often and show them first hand how I treat them with respect.

See, I live in a HoA here at hoime. We come from 3 other homes that were also HoA. They ALL started off messing with me.. messing with me hard because I was new and I tried to be helpful, and in doing so, found where THEY did not follow the letter of the law and we ALL have to do so. My choice has always been to hold myself accountable, and by proxy, also those that were/are involved. Ignoring this makes me as guilty as them....and so that is where the crap starts.

Yes, I have people in my PoA that hate me....but they do so silently and behind the scenes as snakes usually do, and I can and do handle that.

So, not worried about neighbors.

The idea is this:

1 - Sell and get a property closer that I can enjoy with the family more. "I" do not mind where the ranch is, but the kids are old enough that I cannot just take them out of school...so they do not get to go as often, and they love fishing, no pond there.

2 - We bought the property because the price was right. The price is very much higher now than when we bought it. IF we get less than we want for offers, we will keep it. That is a good financial decision. We expect, since we can easily find land sales of around 1800-2100 for un-improved land in the area, selling for 2300-2700 is a good window, imo. The ranch, in total, has.. $425,000 invested in it. It probably is closer to $475,000 or more, but that is an easy number to guesstimate with. That makes it.. we will call it $1.450 an acre (I rounded up from 1439..for ease).

That is "break even" and a low guess.

Add in the closing costs and all that junk and "whittling us down on the price"...figure another 15% on top of that, we are at $546,000, or $16.55 an acre.

Now, that is "we break even" and not a great way or reason to sell... since the people around us paid almost that identical price for unimproved land that has zero chance of getting electricity or water and had no cabin OR a WLM/any exemption.

So...We will price the sale... and see what happens. If it sells, and I believe it will sell within that window, we sell and roll it into a new place closer to us. We take the chance. Who knows, we may decide to buy a few coastal rental proerties instead and make more money with it. The idea here being, while this is and has been a great investment both in time, money, and memories, but if I cannot get out there more than 3-5 times a year and my family gets out 1 or 2 with me, and my kids get to do very little out there as we are always hunting, then the real goal is to sell high, but a good deal if we locate one, closer, and enjoy it more often...

Option #3, we sell, pay the taxes on the cash, pay off everything we owe except the house, and bank the monthly boost of income and hunt whatever and whenever I want and let someone else worry about the wlm or such.. heh

Either way, any choice is a good one, and every choice has possible good or bad consequences, but we all roll the dice and hope our experience and abilities help us turn those bad ones back to good.

R

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7046906 01/21/18 02:51 PM
D
doogie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Are you expecting $546,000 for the 76 acres you own in Edwards County?

Lot 1 of Bobcat Hallow is 133 acres and asking price is $285k.
$285k is still a little high asking price

Last edited by doogie; 01/21/18 03:17 PM.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7046983 01/21/18 03:38 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Yes and no.

We have 330 acres.

Lot 1 in Bobcat Hollow 1 in Bobcat Hollow section 1 is 133 acres. It has a high fence around it and is owned by a man from Mexico that has ravaged it with animals he brings in from auctions. They have been known to die of starvation on his ranch because they have cleared the entire ranch of forage.

We have seen dead buffalo out there and other animals.

It is a ...how did Trump say.. 51T3hole?.. with a cobbled together mobile home on it. He has lost his WLM, do not think he has power or water...and probably owes a lot in taxes...ok, he paid them up, but the taxes are just under 4k a year.

So, we have a nice cabin with electricity, bathroom, here are some pictures.

So, yes, I think we are asking a very good price.

Also.. I will add one of the 6 stands, 9 feeders, 12k gallon water storage, not including the 1500 gallon guzzler, barn, end of road vs his on the county road.

Now, the dates were off.. one of my friend's jacked with the cameras. I reset them all so will have pics next month, but this gives an idea of what we have. I guarantee that tract 1.. is going to have to be sold to someone that rips that fence down and waits for years before seeing it beautiful again.

We, on the other hand, have spent the past 8 years hauling junk out, cleaning it up, and improving the herd... he

So, yes, I think it is worth the price window we are looking at.

Ignore the dates... these were pulled from the cameras last October. The stand pictured, has 3 feeders, each in a different direction, and has a solar charger setup with light switches, one for a red light to allow you to see when dark, and one for a dual USB charger, so you can have a phone etc.. heh.. or charge batteries.

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7047001 01/21/18 03:52 PM
D
doogie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Ok. So you wanting to sell your 76 acres and then 250+ acres that someone else.owns for that price
That makes more sense then
But 330 acres at $545,000 comes out to $1652 per acre.
$1652 an acre is cheap. Something is not adding up.

Last edited by doogie; 01/21/18 04:27 PM.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7047281 01/21/18 08:02 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I have a 200 mile drive rule. But honestly it doesn't cost me that much to make a 400 mile round trip with food and gas. I do it a couple times per month. I would have to have a plan before I did.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7047391 01/21/18 09:40 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Doogie: Yea, sorry.. we own the 76.72 acres. Our uncle found out that we were buying the tract so bought the two next to us and then the one next to those when they sold it. We have "1 ranch" as that is how we treat it. He has been there once and has no emotional ties to it, just got it as an investment and does not care what we do with it.

R

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: Rustler] #7048241 01/22/18 02:24 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Rustler
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson

Somebody has to maintain all that or it reverts back to 'junk land' a lot faster than most folks think.
If your grandson has the gumption, interest & time you can teach him all he needs to know to care for the property just like you do. If his idea is just to let his future kids enjoy it without someone consistently doing all the hard work you put into it over the years, grandpa owes him a reality check.

I've seen it too many times to count, spend 10 - 20 years or a lifetime building up / improving a place
owner dies or reaches an age he can't keep it up, kids / family wants it kept for family use only no one has the time money most importantly knowledge on how to do so.
So the place goes downhill, not that many years go by & the place is in ruins compared to what it was like when grandpa was around.
Now it isn't worth near as much as it wouldve been as when grandpa had it in top shape.

Pearls of wisdom.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7050180 01/23/18 09:25 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Sorry, got busy...

Doogie:

We are selling all the land at, I think it will be listed at like $2650 an acre, if we list it at all. We have had a lot of calls the past couple days asking.

Yes, it is priced high, but we have pulled a LOT of listings, seen a lot of comps in the area. Edwards county is .. a total and utter mess...and here is why:

The prices of places like ours drives the market. We have everything a person could want. This is truly "turn-key".. yet, right next to us is awesome land, many with a WLM. People like us sell and get a great price, so it sets a price. Then someone buys the land next to us (as an example) and goes, "I can get electricity or water" and find out the cost....25k to drill a well, another 30-50k to get electricity.

It costs a tremendous amount to get electricity and water where we are. We got very lucky. We are not wealthy by any means, but our uncle asked us to add it to his tract, and he would help pay to run it to ours. So, we split the cost of adding it.

MOST...do not get lucky. They get what my neighbors got, a letter with $110,000 on it to run it 9000 ft.

So, they try to sell... the guy behind us was trying to sell a few years before we bought in 2011. He finally sold in 2014. Why? Could not afford the improvements.

The guy in a couple other tracts in BH 2 has been trying to sell for years. He cannot get anyone to buy and he is listed below 1400 an are I think.

Most the folks around us that have bought in the past two years paid over 1500.

NOTHING in the county makes sense except for one thing. I have looked at sales of land that had cabins that were horrible... horrible, compared to ours, and sold for well over 2700 an acre.

I think putting us at 2650 an acre is a good deal for others as well as us.

R

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7050218 01/23/18 09:47 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Are you going to market leaving yourself some wiggle room or are you going to have to say to a prospective buyer, sorry, I won't take $2,600 an acre. Just something to think about so that you can make the decision now of what your reply will be instead of trying to make it while you are emotional. There is nothing wrong with not coming down. The last two places I sold, I did not come down a penny. I simply said, and not in a rude fashion at all "I'm sorry, but the property is worth X to me, if it is not worth that to you then please don't buy it and find a place that is. I want this to be a win-win situation." Both places the final buyer had come in with a low price but ended up paying full price. Just be prepared with your statement. Or do whatever the heck you want....its your land.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7050472 01/24/18 12:44 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Oh yes, we will leave some wiggle room. Everyone likes to talk ya down a bit, hence why we were thinking listing at like 2699 an acre...better than "2700".. breaking the next k wink

That being said, we are like you. IF the price is right, then it is a good financial decision. If they cannot afford the price, then that is not my problem. We can hold onto the ranch till we die.. heh, we just would rather be closer.

I had a few "feelers". One said he was approved for a certain amount. I knew right there, this was not for him. Another wanted the tract between us. His thought was to get that tract, move all his stuff over. Run electricity across the road to it, then sell the other tract. I told him the ranch went as a whole. He says, "most people will pay a certain amount for the tract with the improvements and a certain amount for the other tracts."....trying to talk me down..

My answer to him was, "I do not care what folks do with the "tracts" after they own them, but this is one "ranch".. it is being sold as one "ranch" and they can buy it or not buy it, but we are not dividing it up.

Plain and simple, we have wiggle room, but we know what it is worth, not to us, but to anyone. Everyone, and I mean everyone around us wants what we have... end of road.. no-one drives down there unless they are coming to our ranch. Game Warden said he never knew the place existed, but saw lights one night. Electricity, in TWO places on the ranch. almost 14k gallons of water storage, a toilet.. lol...shower.. a/c.. peace and quiet, and granite counters :P

We love the ranch, and the person that buys it will too, but we are totally fine if it ends up not selling also.

R

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7051398 01/24/18 06:55 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Sounds like you have it figured out. Drive time was one of the biggest factors affecting when we got our place. When I bought my house I was able to do it in a way that kept me the same distance from work and put me 45 minutes closer to the ranch.

What is POA?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: redchevy] #7051493 01/24/18 08:11 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Sounds like you have it figured out. Drive time was one of the biggest factors affecting when we got our place. When I bought my house I was able to do it in a way that kept me the same distance from work and put me 45 minutes closer to the ranch.

What is POA?

Property owners association

A co-op type program for wildlife exemptions is the main reason they are formed but also to enforce deed restrictions

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7051495 01/24/18 08:13 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Exactly. The original concept was an AG exemption and money from that plus dues helps maintain all the roads.

Now, the cows got kicked off, everyone switched to WLM, and so all they do is maintain roads. The current people doing so actually are doing a great job.

R

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7091071 02/24/18 01:15 PM
friendswoodmatt Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Good luck and sorry to hear about your situation-- A couple things I picked up on though --
1. /if the POA is that bad-- is it a known thing they are that difficult? If so it might make it tougher to sell-- might not -- but we recently bought in Kimble county and I specifically said I didn't want a POA because of stories I had heard about them
2. You mention that you have had a number of problems over the years with HOA's and POA's -- I dont know you, but is it possible you are part of the problem? Does drama just follow you?
'
As far as the drive-- I swore before we bought our place I wouldn't drive more than 3 hours-- now I drive 5 -- why did I fold on the drive time? Simple-- I found an app called Audible-- its books on tape. These books are anywhere between 5- 65 hours long. The whole family gets into them-- We have been listening to the Longmire series lately-- we all get into the story and it makes the miles fly by. I actually look forward to the drive so I can resume the book-- I dont like to drive either, so I am not one of those guys who looks forward to driving.
When we go to the ranch we hit play when we leave and pause when we stop--if the kids god to sleep we change over to the book my wife and I are listening to and resume when they wake up if we haven't arrived yet. That being said, my kids are older and it makes it much easier for me to go (plus we dont have crazy activities with them that keep us anchored to home every single weekend year round, we do have some but it generally just during the fall) . We dont always take the dogs either-- we have a neighbor girl who will for 10 bucks a day feed them when we are gone--
Heck my kids are old enough that we can leave them home as well youngest is 16 now.
When we bought the place I made the family commit to going once per month and it has worked great.I go more often, but we are building a house and barn rt now, so I need to be there more often.
I also found I like to drive at night-- it really cuts down on the traffic as well as the stops, since usually everyone falls asleep during the trip (well not me lol) and they wake up when we are close. Sure I am a little tired when I get there, but I can sleep when I am dead, and a short nap or letting the wife drive on the way back for a few hours solves this.
This is what works for us-- if you are truly torn then maybe try that-- if you are done however, then you are done.

On the power issue -- is this PEC? I spoke to a neighbor of mine here and he just recently had power run on his place and ran it 2.3 miles at a cost of 34k. 110k for 9000 feet sounds very high, to me-- perhaps its more difficult there-- we have hills and canyons as well so idk,
Not trying to be a pit stirrer and perhaps I read the post wrong-- just my .02

Re: Tis a sad day...... [Re: JohnRussell] #7091124 02/24/18 02:16 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
No drama follows Russ. More like just the opposite. I think neighbors jealousy is the culprit. Russ has everything you would want in a smaller ranch. The neighbors that don't have power are just envious.

Last edited by Erathkid; 02/24/18 02:17 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide