Forums46
Topics537,968
Posts9,731,176
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7043166 01/18/18 04:31 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
There are a ton of guys here in Texas on FB looking for single night hunts with no frills. Join Texas Hog Assoc group. Don't charge more than $100 for a hog only that tears up your land costing you money or you will be chastised as part of the problem. cowboy

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Txduckman] #7043197 01/18/18 04:50 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
There are a ton of guys here in Texas on FB looking for single night hunts with no frills. Join Texas Hog Assoc group. Don't charge more than $100 for a hog only that tears up your land costing you money or you will be chastised as part of the problem. cowboy

Reckon I'd need to have a legal contract signed to protect my behind. Reckon a bloodsucker attorney would need to be hired to draw it up, wouldn't you think?

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7043206 01/18/18 04:55 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I would say so if charging money. Plus you need lease license from TPWD which is cheap. Might not be worth it but only you would know that. There is a lack of just places to hunt hogs in hopes of harvesting a pig outside fully guided outfitted hunts with food and lodging. There are also a bunch of lazy folks who don't try to find hunts and just complain they have no place to hunt and it cost $700 for a hog. We have a few affordable places on here already.

Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: garyrapp55] #7043522 01/18/18 10:10 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
Neighbors around my property run cattle and don't want unknown hunters on there place either.

No matter the price, day hunts always invites the unknowns of who is actually going to show up and while some knotheads are self-evident when you meet them, many you won't find about until they're out there with a firearm on your place.

I believe that's the advantage of leasing to a person. You know what you're getting every time. Maybe not for the first few encounters, but definitely less risk than new folks each and every time.

You can certainly reduce those risks with restrictions to bows/shotguns/subsonic only, etc.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Buzzsaw] #7043709 01/19/18 12:32 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
Seems to me hogs are a problem, not a gold mine. If I'm mistaken, please explain how I can make money off the hog infested property I own, my family sure could use it.

Well, it is both.

30 acres isn't much to work with. For your situation, I would consider setting up a feeder and stand in a location where a shooter would not be apt to shoot off your property (which could be easy given its small size, and illegal) and wait for the hogs to start showing up. Once they do, sell hunts for one weekend a month so as to not over pressure the hogs away from your property. Charge $100 per hunter plus 2 bags of corn or a night of hunting and if they don't have hogs come in the first night (your game camera will tell you if anything showed up or not), let them hunt the second night for free. Assuming you have hogs coming regularly and sell the one hunt per month, you could be making in profit territory in just a few months.

Ideally, set up your stand where the prevailing winds will be in the hunter's favor, ideally 50-100 yards away for rifle hunters.

Or, set up a stand 15-20 yards away and market it to bow or pistol hunters.

Don't see hunts when you don't have any hogs showing up on camera. Have images on hand to show hunters the hogs you have coming in to the feeder.

The feeder/ambush zone is in place and has proven effective for years. No problems there. The problem is, and is the same for those with cows, is the concern of selling a hunt to some trigger happy dumb*ss. Would also be problematic getting keys to paid hunter at a place that is 2.5 hours away from my home. I guess I could lease to dfw only hunters, but what a liability to take on. I'm nervous.

You asked how you could make money. I told you. That you live 2.5 hours away from your 30 acre gold mine is unfortunate. I take it that you aren't going to drive down each time and show the hunters the property and explain safety concerns, boundaries, etc. That you are worried about "dumb*ss" hunters and liability is now something that you understand that other landowners have to deal with. Then there are the issues of contracts and lawyers, the latter of which you apparently don't like. So the bottom line for you is that you are pretty much screwed if you want to make money off your own property primarily because it will be too much hassle for you because of the distance and because you probably aren't willing to cut your profits with the appropriate liability insurance.

People do make good money with leases and day hunts. I don't think you are going to be one of those people, however.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Texas bringing in the Cajun Navy to fix our hog problem [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7043722 01/19/18 12:37 AM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Quote:
Seems to me hogs are a problem, not a gold mine. If I'm mistaken, please explain how I can make money off the hog infested property I own, my family sure could use it.

Well, it is both.

30 acres isn't much to work with. For your situation, I would consider setting up a feeder and stand in a location where a shooter would not be apt to shoot off your property (which could be easy given its small size, and illegal) and wait for the hogs to start showing up. Once they do, sell hunts for one weekend a month so as to not over pressure the hogs away from your property. Charge $100 per hunter plus 2 bags of corn or a night of hunting and if they don't have hogs come in the first night (your game camera will tell you if anything showed up or not), let them hunt the second night for free. Assuming you have hogs coming regularly and sell the one hunt per month, you could be making in profit territory in just a few months.

Ideally, set up your stand where the prevailing winds will be in the hunter's favor, ideally 50-100 yards away for rifle hunters.

Or, set up a stand 15-20 yards away and market it to bow or pistol hunters.

Don't see hunts when you don't have any hogs showing up on camera. Have images on hand to show hunters the hogs you have coming in to the feeder.

The feeder/ambush zone is in place and has proven effective for years. No problems there. The problem is, and is the same for those with cows, is the concern of selling a hunt to some trigger happy dumb*ss. Would also be problematic getting keys to paid hunter at a place that is 2.5 hours away from my home. I guess I could lease to dfw only hunters, but what a liability to take on. I'm nervous.

You asked how you could make money. I told you. That you live 2.5 hours away from your 30 acre gold mine is unfortunate. I take it that you aren't going to drive down each time and show the hunters the property and explain safety concerns, boundaries, etc. That you are worried about "dumb*ss" hunters and liability is now something that you understand that other landowners have to deal with. Then there are the issues of contracts and lawyers, the latter of which you apparently don't like. So the bottom line for you is that you are pretty much screwed if you want to make money off your own property primarily because it will be too much hassle for you because of the distance and because you probably aren't willing to cut your profits with the appropriate liability insurance.

People do make good money with leases and day hunts. I don't think you are going to be one of those people, however.

I agree and therefore I stand by my statement "Seems to me hogs are a problem, not a gold mine." No doubt some make money selling hunting rights. I'd bet more Texans are hurt by hogs rather than helped.

Last edited by garyrapp55; 01/19/18 12:39 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide