Forums46
Topics537,810
Posts9,729,381
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pack Rat's got to do what a Pack Rats got to do. [Re: mikei] #7050571 01/24/18 01:40 AM
A
activescrape Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: mikei
Looks like a candidate for a Euro mount to me.

He was pretty meaty looking, just saying. But yeah, I wonder what a euro would have cost.

"It's not dyin' I'm talkin' about Woodrow, it's livin'!"
Re: Pack Rat's got to do what a Pack Rats got to do. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7320970 10/20/18 09:39 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
My insurance company and I just paid $3000 to repair pack rat damage to my trailer. They have carried off every poison I can find. Each time I go to my lease, I have to retrieve my bait stations. I even set 4 live traps and they were tripped with noting inside and they were hauled 20 yards from my trailer.

How do you find the nest? I'm going to have a bonfire if I ever see one. This is one of the most frustrating experiences I have had while hunting.

Hate'em, hate 'em, hate 'em!!!

Re: Pack Rat's got to do what a Pack Rats got to do. [Re: donswin] #7321007 10/20/18 10:28 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: donswin
My insurance company and I just paid $3000 to repair pack rat damage to my trailer. They have carried off every poison I can find. Each time I go to my lease, I have to retrieve my bait stations. I even set 4 live traps and they were tripped with noting inside and they were hauled 20 yards from my trailer.

How do you find the nest? I'm going to have a bonfire if I ever see one. This is one of the most frustrating experiences I have had while hunting.

Hate'em, hate 'em, hate 'em!!!

Most likely your dealing with Cotton Rat's, they don't build a nest like a Pack Rat does. They'll have both underground nests and above ground nests. Above ground nests will just be a nest of grass. but they don't miss the chance to move up in the world, trailers are easy pickins and usually provide a nice food source to go with it.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Pack Rat's got to do what a Pack Rats got to do. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7321410 10/21/18 05:00 AM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Do Cotton Rats collect things and take them to their nest? When I noticed the damage, I found nests in various parts of the trailer with various things that had been "missing" in my trailer along with a pile of poison pellets.

What will repel them? Traditional rodent poison / trapping methods are ineffective.

Re: Pack Rat's got to do what a Pack Rats got to do. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7321435 10/21/18 05:37 AM
O
Old Shakie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Years ago I had an infestation of rats in my shed. I tried the decon stuff and they ate it like candy, So, I went to the feed store and he mixed me up some of his special recipe and sent it home with me in a brown paper sack. It worked great but I am thinking the EPA later banned this stuff....yes, it worked great on rats but apparently if a cat or dog ate the dead rat it would die too. The stuff just didn't go away. But dang it worked fine on rats and mice.

Re: Pack Rat's got to do what a Pack Rats got to do. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7335482 11/02/18 01:41 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Many years ago a buddy of mine was having a major rat problem. With as many critters (dog's, cat's, chickens and turkeys) as he had poison was out of the question. This was the beginning of the the great Friday night rat shoots. We positioned feed in an open area and mounted a small light for visibility and would sit on the back porch and drink beer and plink them with 22's. That lasted about two week's before the competition and the wagers got higher. Before long we started seeing 1000 dollar rifle setups and several hundred dollars change hands, I went from a Marlin bolt action to an Anshutz target model. The range was 50 yards and the wager was 5 bucks a rat with an eye shot paying 20. Normally there was 5-6 of us on the porch, hit the rat got ya 5 from each person, eye shot got you 20. Seen several 100 dollar rats go down, these boys were serious. Sadly we decimated the rat population and the shoot's ended but the meetings didn't. It's now called the Thursday afternoon Garden Party that meets on Friday night and we play poker.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Pack Rat's got to do what a Pack Rats got to do. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7336054 11/02/18 09:43 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Many years ago a buddy of mine was having a major rat problem. With as many critters (dog's, cat's, chickens and turkeys) as he had poison was out of the question. This was the beginning of the the great Friday night rat shoots. We positioned feed in an open area and mounted a small light for visibility and would sit on the back porch and drink beer and plink them with 22's. That lasted about two week's before the competition and the wagers got higher. Before long we started seeing 1000 dollar rifle setups and several hundred dollars change hands, I went from a Marlin bolt action to an Anshutz target model. The range was 50 yards and the wager was 5 bucks a rat with an eye shot paying 20. Normally there was 5-6 of us on the porch, hit the rat got ya 5 from each person, eye shot got you 20. Seen several 100 dollar rats go down, these boys were serious. Sadly we decimated the rat population and the shoot's ended but the meetings didn't. It's now called the Thursday afternoon Garden Party that meets on Friday night and we play poker.

Sounds like my kind of fun. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Pack Rat's got to do what a Pack Rats got to do. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7336096 11/02/18 10:33 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
In my old job I had a company car, and all of a sudden, right out of the blue, I had one of them suckers chew a plug wire in two...TWICE...on consecutive mornings!!!! The war was on there for a day or two, and between the poison, the antifreeze and the .22 rat shot, he finally left. I didn't ever kill him, I don't think. Just ruffed him up a bit, lol. I was about ready to get the .410. He had actually chewed on the 3rd one, which was really one of the old ones that would fit, until I run his butt off. And I don't know what kind of rat it really was, but he chewed them wires and found a bunch of random crap to put in his little nest. And knock on wood...haven't had that problem again.

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Pack Rat's got to do what a Pack Rats got to do. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7337482 11/04/18 11:07 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have a rat in my barn - he ate through my water lines - I have two glue traps, three regular traps, and the water bucket set up. I put my trail camera on all the traps. Used peanut butter, cheese, almonds, and some "special" bait from Tractor supply. Also bought the yellow bar bait (cannot remember the name) -

This rat comes in at night on camera - carries my yellow bar bait off with him and stores it.

He gets on all three of the regular traps and eats everything off of them without tripping it.

He walks right around the glue traps.

Eats the peanut butter I spread on the board that goes up to the water bucket and then turns around and heads back.

I am fixing to just torch my barn just so I can kill him

You can't fix stupid
Re: Pack Rat's got to do what a Pack Rats got to do. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7337538 11/05/18 12:03 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I have those Black Max I think, has a picture of a black cat, they are waxie bars. I just open the package and put them in a corner of my shop where they come in and toss a few chunks behind stuff. It kills everything that comes around.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide