Print Thread
Between now and next season #7034405 01/11/18 06:03 PM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Hey all. I'm sure a lot of you have tasks you do, projects you start or finish, rituals between now and the start of next deer season. From a land management standpoint, anything you guys focus on? I'm going to rearrange some feeders, put up some new blinds, add a protein feeder and hopefully a water source or two as well. Walking all over the place this year and finding game trails, scrapes and rubs, and just generally getting a little better with my tracking abilities has kind of opened my eyes to the property a bit more. I've been looking at year round feeds vs. food plots. With under 40 acres that has a roaming hog population, so-so soil quality, is 80% trees, I am leaning more towards a year round feed, supplemented with some corn and some protein. Any thoughts, ideas, educational tidbits?

Re: Between now and next season [Re: crozierk] #7034830 01/11/18 11:22 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I have 33 acres that I own, I have year around timed corn feeders that run twice a day. I also put out sulfur mineral salt blocks, one at each feeder location. I also cut cedars and make piles or rows for small animal habitat that is also cover protection for the turkey population. I also put in several small food plots each fall that has 7-11 different seeds that germinate at different times throughout the fall and winter. But as I stated, I own the property and everything I do is benefiting the improvement of the wildlife. I also have my own tractors & equipment to do the majority of the work...

do you own the property? or lease it? ... could be a win win if you put in similar efforts whether owned or leased as the LO might see the efforts you are putting in for a longer term commitment and improvements.

if you have access year around, kill hogs every chance you get, that too will help improve the property plus put food on the table/freezer.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Between now and next season [Re: crozierk] #7034862 01/12/18 12:01 AM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
I don't own it, Father-in-law does. He is game, because he views doing stuff like adding protein, planting food plots and so on as a part of the maintenance. He hasn't had anyone with interest in the place other than me, so he is just glad to have the help. He doesn't hunt it at all really. We have probably a 4 acre field on the other side of the property that was planted with wheat for many years, but that was leased to a long time family friend this year, I may or may not have access to it next year. Basically its 90 acres split about 50 on one side 40 on the other. I have hunting rights on the 40 acre side. There just currently isn't a natural place for a food plot really on my side. I'm game do to the work and we have the equipment or can get it, just didnt know if a half acre or acre food plot was worth the trouble. Place is in Hamilton county for reference.

As for pigs, looking at setting up a DIY trap and trying to trap most of them. In general we have a lot of work to do clearing some brush and limbs and some other stuff.

Last edited by crozierk; 01/12/18 12:03 AM.
Re: Between now and next season [Re: crozierk] #7036449 01/13/18 04:23 AM
stxhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Our ranch is in South Texas. I've tried food plots a couple of times, but feel like I really wasted $$. Most of the times we didn't get enough rain killing our crops.

Last year during early March I put out a protein feeder, deer didn't touch it until the end of November! I was already beginning to think I had again wasted lots of $$ for nothing. Fortunately from November through the end of December I saw plenty of activity and I'm sure the deer will continue using it going forward.

I think I'm done with food plots, they take way more time and energy hoping to get results vs protein.

This year my hopes are trying to clear some brush to allow me to hunt a little easier and possibly run a water line/trough setup so they can have water on the property 24/7.

www.bigpiglights.com
Specializing in Hog Hunting and Night Vision Equipment
(956)793-0904
Re: Between now and next season [Re: crozierk] #7036673 01/13/18 03:38 PM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
See I like the idea of food plots because I look at it as a natural draw that most of the wildlife on the place will benefit from. Adds cover for smaller game, food source for pretty much everything, just seems like a good fit. On the other hand for 200 bucks plus feed and a few hours of my time I can feed protein. My big priority is getting water out there. Just trying to decide if I want to buy something or build something.

Re: Between now and next season [Re: crozierk] #7036817 01/13/18 05:54 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
In the spring, I'll fertilize my food plot and add lime. I will disk it up and plant peas to keep them coming around. I will keep my corn feeder going and I will shoot as many pigs as possible. I will try to kill as many coyotes as possible. I might fence in my food plot to keep the hogs out, but I've been saying that for years and there is always something more important to do. It takes about six months for the soil to respond from fertilizer and lime.

Re: Between now and next season [Re: crozierk] #7037055 01/13/18 10:07 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Try cotton seed meal.........

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Between now and next season [Re: crozierk] #7037320 01/14/18 01:16 AM
H
huntincoach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I appreciate all of you guys that put in the work. We all have things to get done between now and next season... Level up my blind is the biggie. But I'm going to find my crappie holes in my new kayak and build an outdoor kitchen during my offseason and hope nature treats our animals well during this time.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide