46 Forums
443279 Topics
6106623 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#7036799 - 01/13/18 11:36 AM Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog

With all the talk of what is and isn't around, what has been sighted and not I thought this was interesting. It was in a gas station in Goldthwaite. A google search said the last know Jaguar killed in Texas was in Brownwood on 1940. Not in any camp, just thought I would share.

#7036801 - 01/13/18 11:38 AM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: js4242]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Over yonder.....
This should get good..... arenít there black jaguars......popcorn

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#7036809 - 01/13/18 11:46 AM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: js4242]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
popcorn

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman________

#7036861 - 01/13/18 12:41 PM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: js4242]
gusick Offline
Pro Tracker

There have been a few jaguars in the NM boothill over the years and they had two in Arizona last year. All males, they have yet to find a female in the US.

#7037587 - 01/13/18 10:29 PM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: SnakeWrangler]
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
This should get good..... arenít there black jaguars......popcorn

Yes, there are. However, melanistic jaguars are a rarity among jaguars. If one was to belief the number of recent sightings of "black panthers," keeping in mind your intimation that they could be melanistic jaguars, one would have to believe that melanistic jaguars are the norm, rather than the exception within the jaguar community and that Texas is so overrun with melanistic jaguars to the point that nobody has seen a regular one anywhere in Texas quite a long time, much less so in north Texas where many "black panthers" are reported and would be outside of the known range of jaguars in general.

#7037600 - 01/13/18 10:52 PM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: js4242]
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Graham to Arlington
Deer season isnít even over yet. I mean itís usually July when the peak of the cat threads get good. Today on Loving highway outside of Graham there was a huge bobcat great spots very beautiful cat and he had been hit by a car. On the way back to town we were gonna pick it up and.....are yíall ready for this? It was gone!! So explain that, a cat came back to life and walked off of the highway back into the woods. I donít know how else to explain it. Spotted phase jaguicougalion just got up and left.

#7037612 - 01/13/18 11:14 PM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: js4242]
gusick Offline
Pro Tracker

I have seen black jaguars in a zoo.

I highly doubt there are any jaguars in Texas, black or normal. Texas was always on the very outskirts of their range, so it was probably the first place they were extrapaitded from.

One of the few mountain lion (normal brown-colored) sightings that I have made personally was in the same area and in the same week that there was a black panther sighting. I'd bet that we saw the same cat but the other person saw it in bad light or in a shadow, so they said it was black.

#7037713 - 01/14/18 08:24 AM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: js4242]
Flashprism Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Corpus & Dickens
About 5 years ago driving from Corpus to San Antonio air port on 37 I saw a large spotted cat with a long tail dead on the side of the south bound lane. I was pressed for time and couldn't stop. Watched for it on the way back but it was also gone. I am convinced it was a jaguar.

#7037928 - 01/14/18 11:05 AM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: cmc]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Over yonder.....
Originally Posted By: cmc
Deer season isnít even over yet. I mean itís usually July when the peak of the cat threads get good. Today on Loving highway outside of Graham there was a huge bobcat great spots very beautiful cat and he had been hit by a car. On the way back to town we were gonna pick it up and.....are yíall ready for this? It was gone!! So explain that, a cat came back to life and walked off of the highway back into the woods. I donít know how else to explain it. Spotted phase jaguicougalion just got up and left.

I have a great story about how a bobcat can come back to life....compete with pics, video, and scars..... bang

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#7037988 - 01/14/18 11:56 AM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: SnakeWrangler]
2Beez Offline
Chihuahua

Loc: Lake Texoma, TX

I have a great story about how a bobcat can come back to life....compete with pics, video, and scars..... bang

roflmao roflmao roflmao

#7038582 - 01/14/18 09:54 PM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: 2Beez]
The Duke Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Outside!
Originally Posted By: 2Beez

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Hahahahahahahaha I have had a close call myself!

#7039311 - 01/15/18 04:33 PM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: SnakeWrangler]
txmudder Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Irving, Texas USA

I was going to say. I wonder if SnakeWrangler picked it up before you got a chance to.

#7039480 - 01/15/18 06:45 PM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: js4242]
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Graham to Arlington
I had one come to life in the bed of the truck and it turned into a pretty good fight that ended with me and the cat on the ground while I was swinging a shovel. It happens man.

#7039994 - Yesterday at 08:41 AM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: js4242]
gary roberson Offline
Pro Tracker

I have read the story about the last jaguar killed in Texas and it was taken around Goldwaite which is the county seat of Mills County. It seems that chased it with hounds a pretty fair distance before getting him caught. While it is possible for one to have escaped as a pet, I think that this is the last creditable report of a wild jaguar being killed in Texas.
Adios,
Gary

#7040003 - Yesterday at 08:44 AM Re: Panther, Jaguar, Mountain Lion [Re: js4242]
gary roberson Offline
Pro Tracker

Excuse my poor spelling, Goldthwaite. I was not aware of another jaguar being killed around Brownwood in 1940 but I guess that it is possible. Mills and Brown County are adjacent if my memory serves me correctly.
Adios,
Gary

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide