Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Boudin recipe #7036170 01/12/18 11:51 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Ive been making my own smoked sausage for a few years and I love it, I want to try my hand at boudin, do any of yall make your own boudin?

If anyone has a good boudin recipe they would share, thats be awesome,

My MIL brought me some from Louisiana and its the best Ive ever had, it had jalapeo and cheese in it and the taste was great!

🍻
Re: Boudin recipe [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #7036383 01/13/18 03:24 AM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Here is a recipe that I use:

1 1/2 pounds meat (duck, venison, beef, pork, whatever)
1/2 pounds liver (duck, chicken, pork, venison liver, etc)
1/2 pound pork fat
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 poblano or green bell peppers, chopped
1 bay leaf
6 garlic cloves, chopped
4 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon Instacure No. 1 (optional)
3 to 5 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
2 cups cooked white rice (long-grain is best)
1 cup parsley, chopped
1 cup green onions, chopped
Hog casings
Chop the meats, liver and fat into chunks of about 1 inch across; you will grind them later, so they need to be able to fit in the grinder. Mix the meats with the onion, celery, poblano peppers and garlic, then the salt, curing salt (if using) and the Cajun seasonings or the spice mix you made from this recipe. Put it all in a lidded container and let it sit in the fridge at least an hour, and up to a day.
Put the contents of the container into a large pot and pour in enough water to cover everything by an inch or two. Bring to a simmer and cook gently until everything is tender, at least 90 minutes and up to 4 hours. Strain off the cooking liquid (youll need it later) and spread the meat, fat and veggies out on a sheet pan to cool.
When everything is cool enough to handle, grind it through the coarse die on your grinder. You can also hand chop everything.
Put your meat mix into a large bowl and add the cooked rice, parsley and green onion. Mix well, and add up to 4 cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Mix this for a solid 3 to 5 minutes, as you are creating a more cohesive mixture to stuff into a casing. You now have boudin.
You can just shape the mixture into balls and fry them (theyre awesome), or use your boudin as stuffing for something else, like a turkey. But I prefer to case it. Stuff the boudin into hog casings, and while youre doing it, get a large pot of salted water hot not simmering, just steaming. You want the water to be about 165F to 175F. Poach the links for 10 minutes, then serve. If you are not serving them right away, no need to poach the links yet. I have done the recipe without the liver and it is still good

Re: Boudin recipe [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #7036403 01/13/18 03:39 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Wait for Skinner but Djs process sounds legit. That skinner, he is half coon arse as much time as he spent in that territory though roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: Boudin recipe [Re: Bee'z] #7036560 01/13/18 01:33 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Wait for Skinner but Djs process sounds legit. I skinner he is half coon arse as much time as he spent in that territory though roflmao

Half coonazz and half mexican....not a bad combo for a white boy.....

I know the boudin he gave us was awesome.....I had the fight with my wife just to get a couple pieces....after one bite she claimed it was ALL hers....
wife

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Boudin recipe [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7036622 01/13/18 02:37 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Wait for Skinner but Djs process sounds legit. I skinner he is half coon arse as much time as he spent in that territory though roflmao

Half coonazz and half mexican....not a bad combo for a white boy.....

I know the boudin he gave us was awesome.....I had the fight with my wife just to get a couple pieces....after one bite she claimed it was ALL hers....
wife

rofl clap I had boudin for supper again last night. food Man I've been wanting to make my own boudin for years guys, still haven't done it. Looked at a bunch of recipes etc, even bought a couple bags of boudin seasoning to try but still sitting here. I'm like you Thundervee, have been making my own smoked sausage and all kinds of sausages for a long time but not boudin yet. bang I need to take a break from Harvey clean up soon and take a swing at it. I did pick up about $500 worth from Nunu's last month but it's going fast. grin Sorry I'm no help, least not yet.

Re: Boudin recipe [Re: djs303] #7036629 01/13/18 02:44 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: djs303

1/2 pound pork fat
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 bay leaf
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup parsley, chopped
Hog casings
Chop the meats, liver and fat into chunks of about 1 inch across; you will grind them later, so they need to be able to fit in the grinder. Mix the meats with the onion, celery, poblano peppers and garlic, then the salt, curing salt (if using) and the Cajun seasonings or the spice mix you made from this recipe. Put it all in a lidded container and let it sit in the fridge at least an hour, and up to a day.
Put the contents of the container into a large pot and pour in enough water to cover everything by an inch or two. Bring to a simmer and cook gently until everything is tender, at least 90 minutes and up to 4 hours. Strain off the cooking liquid (youll need it later) and spread the meat, fat and veggies out on a sheet pan to cool.
When everything is cool enough to handle, grind it through the coarse die on your grinder. You can also hand chop everything.
Put your meat mix into a large bowl and add the cooked rice, parsley and green onion. Mix well, and add up to 4 cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Mix this for a solid 3 to 5 minutes, as you are creating a more cohesive mixture to stuff into a casing. You now have boudin.
You can just shape the mixture into balls and fry them (theyre awesome), or use your boudin as stuffing for something else, like a turkey. But I prefer to case it. Stuff the boudin into hog casings, and while youre doing it, get a large pot of salted water hot not simmering, just steaming. You want the water to be about 165F to 175F. Poach the links for 10 minutes, then serve. If you are not serving them right away, no need to poach the links yet. I have done the recipe without the liver and it is still good

That sounds good. Have you ever tried smoking your boudin? If not give it a try, it's awesome.

Re: Boudin recipe [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #7037537 01/14/18 03:40 AM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I do put them on the grill sometimes but if you cook them too fast they will pop and ooze out of the casing

Re: Boudin recipe [Re: djs303] #7037958 01/14/18 05:30 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I do put them on the grill sometimes but if you cook them too fast they will pop and ooze out of the casing

We have grilled and pan fried ours.... great either way......

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Boudin recipe [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #7038141 01/14/18 08:04 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Smoke indirect heat until swells & has color.

Re: Boudin recipe [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #7047446 01/21/18 10:31 PM
easttexasdiver Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Making me hungry

Jesus is the Way,the Truth and the Life.
Re: Boudin recipe [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #7053739 01/26/18 03:25 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Holy crap! I mustve asked yall this when I was drinking blush I forgot about it. confused2

That recipe djs posted sounds good! Im gonna try to make it soon.

Thanks a bunch djs!

🍻
Re: Boudin recipe [Re: skinnerback] #7056342 01/29/18 12:38 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Smoke indirect heat until swells & has color.

Add to pan fried potatoes.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Boudin recipe [Re: djs303] #7056347 01/29/18 12:43 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

1/2 pound pork fat
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 bay leaf
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup parsley, chopped
Hog casings

One important ingredient was left out, or omitted.

ROADKILL food

Re: Boudin recipe [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #7065741 02/04/18 11:01 PM
B
booger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I found a recipe in OUTDOOR LIFE a few years ago and use it.... have to dig it up

I've made it with pork butt and no liver and its great plus I've got homemade stock afterwards!

Big ones line-up, little ones bunch-up
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide