Forums46
Topics537,993
Posts9,731,532
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: SR025] #7033487 01/11/18 12:37 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: SR025
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Omega is meh, my next will be a dead air sandman

What didn't you like about the Omega?

My biggest gripe is that it isn’t as quiet as my specwar. The specwar is pretty much hearing safe on my CTR but the omega has a huge pop. Also the barrel length restrictions, can’t use the omega on my 12.5” 6.8. The omega is lighter though.

Love my specwar. Bang for you buck it’s hard to beat but it isn’t the lightest out there.

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7033489 01/11/18 12:38 AM
S
snarkscarbine Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Keep in mind that the thunderbeast/SAS-style brake adaptor is not the same thing as a qd adaptor. They are generally known for being more secure and repeatable than direct threading.

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7033555 01/11/18 01:13 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Q guns got some new stuff that looks interesting.

Be careful on buying for dB level as there is no standard for measuring. Ie not the same host, ammo, conditions, sound measuring, etc

Only real qd issues I have seen were either 54t which most people thought was designed poorly and not properly installing.

In actuality lot of good cans, all with different features. Make sure to think about mounting, if you go qd and want to use on multiple hosts it’s hard to change brands after awhile

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: TCB] #7033572 01/11/18 01:19 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted By: TCB
Originally Posted By: KRoyal
BUY TITANIUM!!! Those couple of ounces don't seem like much until you're carrying your gun on a 5 mile hike stalking through the woods.

I still love my YHM 30 Phantom QD. It was my first and still my favorite can. It is heavy because I went the SS version instead of Ti like an idiot. Take JG's advice this is a life time purchase make it count.

The YHM doesn't get much love because of all the new and "improved" cans with flashy names. But, I still have guys send me PM's after shooting competitions asking what can I'm using because it is quieter than the other cans at the event. My next can will be another Phantom 30 QD but in Ti this time to lighten the load a little. Life time warranty, rated up to 300RUM, full auto rated, good for SBR's down to 10.5" on everything but 300BLK which you can go down to 8" with. It is a work horse and probably half the price of some of the "better" cans on the market.

I've also never had an issue with YHM QD setups, they lock up tight every time hell if anything I have problems getting the can off the QD not the QD coming loose. I have read some of the other manufactures have had problems with their QD systems though.

Yep, love my YHM and ordered a Ti on Black Friday when Silencer Shop offered to for the stamp.

Wow wish I would have saw that deal.

[Linked Image]

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: SR025] #7033626 01/11/18 01:53 AM
_
_Lee Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
_
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Omega is meh, my next will be a dead air sandman

What didn't you like about the Omega?

My biggest gripe is that it isn’t as quiet as my specwar. The specwar is pretty much hearing safe on my CTR but the omega has a huge pop. Also the barrel length restrictions, can’t use the omega on my 12.5” 6.8. The omega is lighter though.

That’s no good, I’m waiting on an Omega now.

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7033799 01/11/18 03:55 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
You want 7" or less, under 16 oz, and direct thread. Lots of good ones out there. I have a Cyclone and Thunderbeast, but never use the Cyclone anymore...it's like 9.5" long and weighs like 23 oz. It is quiet though. Thunderbeast is 7", 13 oz, and just a hair louder but handles 100x better.

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7033806 01/11/18 04:04 AM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
My favorite 30 cal can is the Dakota Silencer Varminter 3.0 made by Mack Brother's. It is lighter than both of my Thunder Beast 30 cal cans,and to me is also quieter,plus it is serviceable for cleaning.
All 3 of them are Titanium,but the Mack Brother's can is about 2 ounces lighter than the Thunder Beast cans.

They just came out with a new one,the Varminter 4.0,and it is convertible from 9" long to 7" long. I'll probably buy one of them in the near future.

https://www.dakotasilencer.com/varminter-4-in-30-cal-all-titanium-modular-silencer-take-apart/

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7033831 01/11/18 04:28 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
My first can was an AAC SDN6. Uses the 51T QD. I never had a problem with mine but others have said they had a loose fit. It's a good can but it is heavy. Fine for short ARs, but I don't think the weight would be good on the end of a long thin barrel. Plus putting a QD attachment on the end of every rifle can get expensive. None of the companies sell those for cheap.

Later, I bought the SilencerCo Harvester 30. A little long but it is light weight. MUCH lighter than the SDN6. You can do a mag dump through it but then you have to let it cool down. Does a really good job of suppression. It's not as popular now that the Omega is out. I have never shot the Omega but is seems like a jack of all trades and the master of none type of can. It can be switched around for many calibers with different end caps and whatever, but it's not the best suppression for any of the calibers. If you are going to just have one centerfire suppressor, then it is probably a good one to have. The Harvester is direct thread and I like that more than the QD. No doubt if it is on all the way, though you might have to check that it hasn't backed out any after a few shots.

Before the new fingerprint trust law took effect, I was on the lookout for a ThunderBeast Ultra 9DT. If I had found one on sale I would have bought it.

If I were you, I'd wait for SHOT Show (Starts Thursday) news to come out. There will be new suppressor models announced and your brand new suppressor that you buy today could be an old model before you get your paperwork back from the ATF. See what comes out and see if you should wait a couple of months for something new. Or maybe a dealer will be dumping old models at a discount to clear inventory. Old model does not necessarily mean old tech.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7035276 01/12/18 07:59 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I gave the wrong dates. ATA show and CES is this week. SHOT Show is in 2 weeks. See what gets announced at SHOT.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7035519 01/12/18 02:57 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I get to do a lot of 30 cal reviews..
I have a few Crux ti cans in 30 cal that I really like.

Here are my quick thoughts:

3 sizes, short (5-6"), medium (7-8") and full size (9")
longer cans are quieter, shorter cans are more maneuverable getting in and out of a truck/ATV and less likely to bang into the deer blind getting ready for a shot, can't beat physics

Light is better than heavy
If you can, full ti is awesome but pricey
the "hunting" cans like the SilencerCo Harvester (I think they are going to go under BTW), Griffin Armament Sportsman (just reviewed the new version) are cool because they have an aluminum tube to keep the weight down and are a lot cheaper than Ti. They really aren't mean for doing mag dumps on an AR due to heat build up but the occasional burst is fine, just let it cool off before doing it again.

Mounts:
I have one direct thread, the other use a taper mount. I do NOT like mounts with moving parts, springs, etc.. how "quick" do you really need to be able to put a can on? 2 seconds or 10?

I prefer taper mounts because they give you a lot of flexibilty, you can put your 30 cal can on your 5.56 AR, whatever.. They offer the same consistent lockup and thus accuracy of direct thread but again, more flexibility on what you put it on. Downside, the extra mounts cost.

Here is a link to a bunch of silencer reviews with a few a month being constantly added, I will be doing the new Daniel Defense WAVE tomorrow.

https://tacticalgunreview.com/category/supressor-reviews-gun-reviews/

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: ccoker] #7035995 01/12/18 08:53 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: ccoker
the "hunting" cans like the SilencerCo Harvester (I think they are going to go under BTW),

SilencerCo is a really big name in the industry. If they go down then you have to wonder if others will too. But wasn't it you who said AAC was going under a couple of years ago?

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7036906 01/13/18 07:34 PM
E
el_cazador713 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I think a 7" can is the sweet spot for weight, handling and db reduction. I have two TB Ultra 7s with the cb mounts. They are outstanding, light, and the conical shoulder creates a solid connection for repeatability. I also like the Recce 7 as well, that may be my next one or a 6.5 TB Ultra 7.

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7037173 01/13/18 11:40 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Been doing lots of digging about this, the last 30 minutes. I've written down data for Crux Nemesis 30 and Ark 30, Dead Air Sandman TI, SilencerCo Omega, YHM 3300-TIS, and Thunder Beast Ultra-7.

Shortest, Lightest, same decibel reduction as everyone else (everyone is claiming from 132 dB to 137 dB for a .308 Win)....

Crux Nemesis 30 is looking the best. 6" total, 4" added to the barrel length, 132 dB, 10 oz. $1018

https://cruxsuppressors.com/collections/...xd-extreme-duty

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7037656 01/14/18 12:42 PM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
No one here has mentioned the SilencerCo Saker ASR. Any reason for that? That's what I was looking at.

[Linked Image]
Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7037706 01/14/18 02:12 PM
Anton Chigurh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Lots of good info provided here already. I'll add my limited personal experience:

I bought 2 suppressors a couple years ago. I went with a .30cal TBAC Ultra 7 CB and an SAS Barricade 6.5 DT.

Both are full titanium, compact and very light. I wasn't looking to do multiple semi auto mag dumps, so I don't feel hindered having the Ti cans instead of steel full auto rated pieces. Neither has hurt accuracy at all on any rifle I've put them on. In fact accuracy is probably improved because I shoot these suppressed rifles better. They both reduce the report of my center-fires down to tolerable levels w/o earpro, for hunting anyway. I still use plugs to shoot at the range.

I'm not any kind of an "operator", so I didn't see the need for any QD attachment type can. But I do like the taper (or TOMB, or CB) style brakes/flash hiders. The CB mount on the Thunderbeast looks good and does provide a solid lockup, and I can easily adapt between my AR with 1/2" threads and my bolt guns with 5/8".

My Barricade direct thread is also nice. This can only adds 6" to length and weighs 10oz. So I like this one for my straight hunting rifles.

I will say that since I bought my cans and starting threading rifles, I've decided shorter OAL is better. A 22" barrel with a 6, 7 or 9" can added feels like a jousting pole. maybe fun for the range but no Bueno for anything else IMO. So I cut my 6.5 creed back to 17", so now it's 24" overall with the Thunderbeast. It feels just right now but of course I'll never fire it again without the can. I've come to the conclusion that instead of trying to thread every rifle I have because I like suppressed shooting I'll have a couple or three suppressor host rifles that are cut as short as needed to handle properly, then maybe leave the lightweight sporter barrel rifles alone at 22-24" and use them like they are.

So my recommendations on a suppressor for an all around rifle would be to spend the money to get a Ti can, and definitely consider length and weight as priorities over nit picking Db reduction numbers etc. between brands. Don't let a couple hundred $ sway you away from what you want.

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: SpoonPlatoon] #7037861 01/14/18 04:10 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Been doing lots of digging about this, the last 30 minutes. I've written down data for Crux Nemesis 30 and Ark 30, Dead Air Sandman TI, SilencerCo Omega, YHM 3300-TIS, and Thunder Beast Ultra-7.

Shortest, Lightest, same decibel reduction as everyone else (everyone is claiming from 132 dB to 137 dB for a .308 Win)....

Crux Nemesis 30 is looking the best. 6" total, 4" added to the barrel length, 132 dB, 10 oz. $1018

you can get a half nelson which is 1-2 oz more for that price with the 200 stamp...

Originally Posted By: SpoonPlatoon
No one here has mentioned the SilencerCo Saker ASR. Any reason for that? That's what I was looking at.

Saker is a good can. But it was designed for the military and hardcore use and abuse. It is full auto rated, you can dump mags in there like no one business. As a result its made of stellite (SP?) and steel which are heavier. It weighs closer to 20 ounces- double the weight of some others. But it has the ability to quick attach to multiple mounts which most of the lighter ones ares threaded only. Now the question- is 10 ounces worth the robust build..IMO it depends. If you want to run and gun on a SBR hells yeah. If you want to do a shorter magnum rifle (not sure why you would but you could), it can do it. If you are shooting 100% prone on the range and you want the mount versatility its awesome. Where the weight hurts you is standing or odd shots in like a competition which is what some people do. Its 10 ounces but when you add it to the end of a 24in rifle and want to shoot standing up it impacts you more. Or hunting and carry around for long distances, ounces add up.

Right now if i was to buy a can i would look at Q guns or sig- as i think taper mounts are better.

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Toxarch] #7037869 01/14/18 04:22 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Toxarch
Originally Posted By: ccoker
the "hunting" cans like the SilencerCo Harvester (I think they are going to go under BTW),

SilencerCo is a really big name in the industry. If they go down then you have to wonder if others will too. But wasn't it you who said AAC was going under a couple of years ago?

This is being thrown around a lot lately...There are some "facts" to point to it. The recent ouster of the founders doesnt help. There are some posts about some people with the company selling a lot of personnel inventory, presumably to generate cash.

Silencerco is in some form of financial stress- They had a few rounds of layoffs in 2017. The suppressor business dropped like a rock at the start of the new year because everyone was convinced HPA was going to pass within 90 days of trump getting elected (former CEO JOSH is taking a lot of blame for that) but i think more importantly there recent products just arent inspiring or in high demand

maxim 50- Suppressed muzzle loader- Awesome idea, but how many people hunt with muzzle loaders and are willing to drop a grand on a new one
Maxim 9- Integral suppressed pistol- What is the benefit? Yeah its a little smaller but i am trading ability to use one can on multiple guns for a direct thread. There is no major benefit to gun other than "coolness" Most people wont spend the money on the novelty
Radius- Awesome range finder but A) its heavy and B) its difficult to know exactly what you are ranging since you do not look through it. Also, most hunters i know prefer to have a separate range finder as its a bit more flexible. Also add in that Sig released a fantastic handheld shortly after...

I am a silenerco fan, but they are riding a lot on what the did years ago and havent brought anything new to the market. This has allowed other companies like Dead Air, Sig, Q guns, etc to really come to market

And then on top of all of this, they broke their relationship with Silencer-shop who has gone on to become arguably the most dominant distributor in the system by finding ways to make purchasing easier.

The end results is a smaller market to sell to with products that are aging

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Cleric] #7037914 01/14/18 05:00 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Cleric

you can get a half nelson which is 1-2 oz more for that price with the 200 stamp...

No idea what you're talking about.

And price is not a factor. It's a lifetime purchase. I care about performance, length, weight, and a great warranty by a solid company. If one provides all that for a couple hundred more, whatever...

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: J.G.] #7037933 01/14/18 05:07 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C

And price is not a factor. It's a lifetime purchase. I care about performance, length, weight, and a great warranty by a solid company. If one provides all that for a couple hundred more, whatever...

so you dont know anything about the product and discounting it...

its a 6.8in 12 ounce can for 800 from a company that i think is solid...

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7037941 01/14/18 05:16 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I didn't discount anything. You failed to explain it in the first post. Now you have.
What is the decibel reduction on a .308 Win? That was what the others I looked at were using as a bench mark.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: J.G.] #7037959 01/14/18 05:30 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I didn't discount anything. You failed to explain it in the first post. Now you have.
What is the decibel reduction on a .308 Win? That was what the others I looked at were using as a bench mark.

decibel is meaningless number as far as i am concerned with supersonic ammo- There is no standard for how to calculate it terms of ammo/host/microphone/conditions/location of mic etc so there is variety from test to test

More importantly I have seen some tests that show that tone has more of an impact in perceptions of loudness then db- presumably to everyones hearing profiles being different-

And with supersonic ammo you are going to get the crack which means you should prolly be using ear plugs anyway

"Obviously the short barrel, open ejection port, etc. made the pistol “sound” louder than the 21″ barreled bolt action rifle even if it metered quieter (126 subsonic .300 BO and 136 for supersonic .300 BO) than the .308. Despite the thicker body of the Half Nelson, we expected it to be loud on the .308 bolt gun. Due to the 20″ bbl and it being a completely closed action, all the noise was well contained. Factory metering claims it is 140 decibels in this configuration, but it definitely sounded a bit quieter to us." http://www.breachbangclear.com/the-q-half-nelson/

they claim 140- most tests have them lower

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Kthnx] #7037971 01/14/18 05:42 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Decibel is not meaningless. I have to have some number to weigh one can from another.

140 is the answer, so it is 8 dB louder than the Crux.

I shoot suppressed supers every day I am not at the fire station, and they are hearing safe.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: J.G.] #7037985 01/14/18 05:54 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Decibel is not meaningless. I have to have some number to weigh one can from another.

140 is the answer, so it is 8 dB louder than the Crux.

I shoot suppressed supers every day I am not at the fire station, and they are hearing safe.

when you dont know how the dbs are measured it is useless...

If i say i shot a 2in group it useless. You have a measurement but nothing else. If i shot a 2in group at 100 yards that not great, but a 2 in group at 800 yards is amazing.

If i want to manipulate the db number its easy- move to the ear and get a longer barrel

also 140db is considered the threshold for pain- the standard from OSHA is like 110db for a minute will start to degrade hearing

Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: Cleric] #7037990 01/14/18 06:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
So we need suppressor manufacturers to use a set standard in measurement.

This instrument, this far from the muzzle, this cartridge, with this barrel length.

As of right now, I watched a video of what Crux did to measure how loud his suppressors are. That, and what the other manufacturers are claiming is all I have ti go by. In a perfect situation, I could test drive each can on my rifles, and decide from there, but that is not possible, unfortunately.

CCoker and I discussed this last night. He gets to test a wide array if cans. The Crux Nemesis 30 is small, and pretty quiet. And the Ark 30 is 1 1/2" longer, and is in fact quieter. That is the one I am leaning toward for my purposes. I also talked to a PRS shooting buddy last night. He confirmed those facts. I hunt suppressed, I don't compete suppressed, so the tad extra length with the Ark 30 suits my purposes better.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: .30 cal suppressor. What's the skinny? [Re: J.G.] #7038003 01/14/18 06:15 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

https://www.silencershop.com/q-half-nelson.html

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide