6071301 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7032499 - 01/10/18 08:03 AM New rule in my boat
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Over the years I have been present for 4 major incidents that could have easily ended in death. Some of these did end up with major injuries as in multiple surgeries and weeks in the hospital for some. I have been on a boat where one occupant was knock out and off the boat, under water unconscious. During the hurricane evacuations I went by Academy and bought a zipper bag full of life vests. The manager was there and we started a conversation. When I told him where we were headed he handed me self inflating life vest and said try it out and I'll make it 50% off. I wore it through the duration of the evacuations. I pretty much forgot I had it on.

I just feel like there is no reason to push the envelope. They have made safety so much more comfortable I just decided to draw the line. The new rule is if your feet are on my boat, you're wearing a life jacket, end of story.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service

UTHFDHGTG Port O'Conner, Texas Dec. 9 Hunt 10,11
lodging 361 983 4371

#7032750 - 01/10/18 09:51 AM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
Ojai Hunter Offline
Woodsman

Sounds to me like you are a wise man, now that I'm older , I don't feel invincible anymore, when I started wade fishing last year, I wore a manual inflatable , didn't even know I had it on.

#7032785 - 01/10/18 10:09 AM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
Nitro27 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Terrell,TX
good rule

#7032791 - 01/10/18 10:12 AM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity

Only one of these accidents was in my boat. I was there for the other three. The one in my boat is a long long story but in short, my now wife got hung up in a rope, detached her upper jaw from her skull behind the k9 teeth, yanked her out of the boat, rendered her unconscious and under the water. I jumped into the prop wash to trail back to where I thought she was at. I knew I had seconds and one shot to find her. AS I got close to where I thought she was at she popped up. She was in absolute shock. We drove her to Brownsville to the hospital (Ambulance would have had to come from Brownsville and then back so it was way faster) and the doctor said she was clueless as to how to put her back together. They took her by ambulance to Harlingen where by the grace of God was a reconstructive surgeon's convention. They made an announcement at the convention and the absolute best facial reconstruction surgeon in the world answered the call. That happened at 4 PM. She came out of her first of many surgeries at around 4 AM. When I talked to the doctor he said he had no clue how to put her back together. He asked God for direction and into it he went. After umpteen surgeries you can hardly tell she had that happen.

It's high time we wear them.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

lodging 361 983 4371

#7032965 - 01/10/18 12:07 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
MikeOH Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Lucas TX
What a blessing that convention was going on....God definitely there that day!

#7033019 - 01/10/18 12:43 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
Capt.JVH Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Round Rock/ Lometa
I spent 6 years doing search and rescue in the Coast Guard. I never once pulled a drowning victim out of the water with a life jacket on. Not to mention people get ejected, , more often than you think. If you get knocked out in the process, having a life jacket on makes you 1000 times easier to find. Accidents happen, people need to plan accordingly. I think you are doing the right thing here. It's risk management, just like wearing a seatbelt.

#7033044 - 01/10/18 01:04 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: Capt.JVH]
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Capt.JVH
I spent 6 years doing search and rescue in the Coast Guard. I never once pulled a drowning victim out of the water with a life jacket on. Not to mention people get ejected, , more often than you think. If you get knocked out in the process, having a life jacket on makes you 1000 times easier to find. Accidents happen, people need to plan accordingly. I think you are doing the right thing here. It's risk management, just like wearing a seatbelt.

Thank you Captain, I agree.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

lodging 361 983 4371

#7033052 - 01/10/18 01:09 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Forney, Tx
I wore the inflatable vests exclusively while working lake patrol. I never wore a bullet proof vest while on lake patrol because it was hot and they became a sponge when wet. I went in a few times, and only once did I have my BPV and the inflatable over it. I almost passed out due to the extreme cold water and the damn inflatable trying to squeeze me to death, lol. I had forgot to let slack out to fit over my BPV. Damn scary feeling in the middle of the lake at 10pm in January.

Thatís the incident as to why I left lake patrol

Edited by BigPig (01/10/18 01:11 PM)

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#7033062 - 01/10/18 01:14 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
ZachW Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Texas, TX
That's my rule. I wear the auto-inflatable vest and make everyone else wear the cheap foam ones...

#7033070 - 01/10/18 01:20 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
LarryCopper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Great State
That has been my rule for a long time now.

I read a story years sago about a father and 10 year old son hunting in Louisiana. Dad was ejected, whacked his head, was unconscious. Kid had to make the decision to hold his Dad above water or let him go so he could get back in the boat. Kissed him goodbye on the forehead, let him go, and saved himself. My son was around the same age at the time. Hit home big time.

#7033142 - 01/10/18 02:27 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: LarryCopper]
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

I read a story years sago about a father and 10 year old son hunting in Louisiana. Dad was ejected, whacked his head, was unconscious. Kid had to make the decision to hold his Dad above water or let him go so he could get back in the boat. Kissed him goodbye on the forehead, let him go, and saved himself. My son was around the same age at the time. Hit home big time.

He will forever blame himself, no doubt.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

lodging 361 983 4371

#7033150 - 01/10/18 02:33 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
Barny Topwater Offline
red bone Bob

Loc: New Braunfels TX USA
Originally Posted By: wal1809

I hope not, I would have wanted my son to do the same, and it's still better than losing both of them
There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE

#7033163 - 01/10/18 02:43 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: Barny Topwater]
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Originally Posted By: wal1809

I hope not, I would have wanted my son to do the same, and it's still better than losing both of them

I hope not either, but you know he will.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

lodging 361 983 4371

#7033179 - 01/10/18 02:51 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
LarryCopper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Great State
From what I recall the coroner (or whoever makes the call) came to the conclusion that the Dad was already dead. Hopefully that gave the son some peace of mind in his decision.

In any case, still a very jacked up deal. Usually I'm pretty hard headed and not very emotional - it takes more that a story or two to get me to change my ways, but for some reason that one did.

It all works out cuz usually people that hunt with me the first time don't realize how well I know the places that I take them. They prolly think I'm bat chiat crazy and am really glad to have a vest LOL!

#7033247 - 01/10/18 03:57 PM Re: New rule in my boat [Re: wal1809]
Gengo Offline
Bird Dog

I never wore or made anyone wear a lift jacket in the boat until last year. I spend all this time before hunts talking about safety once at the pond, but never in the boat. Well last year we had 2 hunts with crazy wind; the first hunt on the way out I knew we should not have gone. Had my motor died or we got turned and took a wave wrong the boat would have filled up. My hunting buddies had no idea since they were hunkered down but I knew it was a bad decision. After that hunt I went straight to academy and bought some good life jackets (the excuse I always used was I only had the cheap-o orange ones). Now the life jackets get put on as soon as you step foot in the boat. I will not start the motor until all parties have jackets on and buckled.
It's funny we always have confidence in what we do until that one time where you know you took it too far. Then the pendulum swings way hard the other way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide