Page 61 of the outdoor annual
Read all of this not just what is in bold.
WHITE-TAILED DEER YOUTH-ONLY:
- Age Restriction: ONLY licensed hunters 16 years of age or younger are eligible to participate in
youth-only deer seasons. Youth Hunting License (Type 169).
- Early Youth-Only Season: Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 28-29, 2017. All legal hunting means and
methods are allowed, except in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties, where lawful
means are restricted to archery only (no crossbows except for youth with upper limb disability).
- Late Youth-Only Season: Jan. 8-21, 2018. The season is open in all counties where there is a
general open season for white-tailed deer. All legal hunting means and methods are allowed,
except in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties, where lawful means are restricted to
lawful archery equipment and crossbows.
- Bag Limits, take of antlerless deer, and special requirements:
• In Bell (E. of I-35), Delta, Ellis, Falls, Fannin, Franklin, Freestone, Hopkins, Hunt, Kaufman,
Limestone, Milam, Navarro, Rains, Smith, Titus, Van Zandt, Williamson (E. of I-35) and Wood
counties, the bag limits, requirements for the take of antlerless deer, and special requirements
are the same as the period Nov. 23-26, 2017 for each respective county (see County
• For the remainder of the state, the bag, tag and permit requirements are the same as for
the first two days of the general season in the county (see County Listings).
• In a county where antlerless deer may be taken only by tag, a tag is required to take
antlerless deer during the youth seasons.
• Antlerless deer may be taken without a tag or permit on all USFS lands during youth-only
- Does not apply to properties in the MLDP program, or in counties where there is no open
general season for white-tailed deer.