Forums46
Topics537,764
Posts9,728,891
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: Brandon S.] #7052145 01/25/18 04:31 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Brandon S.
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I’ve never sent one up the tailpipe, so to speak, but I did shoot a doe head on in the chest. The bullet exited just above her tail. It was an Accubond, of course.

Me either but only because the deer was running slightly uphill providing an opportunity at the mid point of the spine. The bullet entered the mid point of his spine and exited the neck. If he had been running away from me on flat ground I am pretty sure the bullet would have still left the barrel with the crosshairs trained on his tailpipe!

You do what you have to. The proper bullet broadens your options.

Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: Sneaky] #7052160 01/25/18 04:49 AM
Brandon S. Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
You do what you have to. The proper bullet broadens your options.

Agreed

Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: redchevy] #7052164 01/25/18 05:02 AM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
As for hunters, as a last resort, who agree to shoot mulies in the a$$ must be shooting in open fields ( look at the picture from Jgraider's post on page 7 ) where you can see the buck run a ways and find them down a ways. Try to hunt whitetails in South Texas heavy brush, where I hunt, and I bet you that you will barely find them if you shoot them in the a$$, so its reason why I shoot right into the vitals so its DRT so I won't have to waste time chopping through catclaws and brush to find my deer and drag them out. I have seen hunters lose deer in heavy brush. Even one of my hunters shot a 150 lb.hog two weeks ago right in the ham towards the vitals at 100 yards with a 30 06 and 180 Partitions and never found it, we saw blood trailing a long ways into the brush, but was too thick to get in more than 50 yards. I have patience, that some don't have, to wait till the right moment comes to pull that shot. Cheers.

Last edited by TackDriver; 01/25/18 05:25 AM.
Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: redchevy] #7052266 01/25/18 12:53 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
It is my preference to use a bullet that will work for any shot I might ever choose to take. Variations in impact velocity come into play. Then there are circumstances such as proximity to property lines, it might be the last hour of the last day of the season, etc. etc. Opinions vary, but mine is that Partitions, Accubonds, TTSXs, A-Frames, and the like are the most universally reliable performance choices for large animals. If you need to put them through bone at 3100 fps, they stand a good chance of doing what you want them to do. If you need to put them between the ribs at an impact velocity of 2300 fps, in all likelihood they'll work there too. Just my 2cents

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: RiverRider] #7052292 01/25/18 01:27 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
It is my preference to use a bullet that will work for any shot I might ever choose to take. Variations in impact velocity come into play. Then there are circumstances such as proximity to property lines, it might be the last hour of the last day of the season, etc. etc. Opinions vary, but mine is that Partitions, Accubonds, TTSXs, A-Frames, and the like are the most universally reliable performance choices for large animals. If you need to put them through bone at 3100 fps, they stand a good chance of doing what you want them to do. If you need to put them between the ribs at an impact velocity of 2300 fps, in all likelihood they'll work there too. Just my 2cents

+1.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: RiverRider] #7052394 01/25/18 02:51 PM
R
redchevy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

That's my take as well. Perhaps I didn't approach it the right way.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: Cleric] #7052399 01/25/18 02:55 PM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Cleric
What percentage of shots do you think would have resulted in a different outcome if you had a different bullet?
Well I shot 2 deer this year, they are both reference in this post... so 100% for the year lol.

I used the bullets with good results the past 3 years, that is why I kept using them this year. I'd have to concentrate and think hard about it to figure how many over the past few years, but it would also be a biased number because the majority of the guns I hunt with are loaded with partitions which I have never had a complaint about on game performance with. My only complaint with them is cost and I have gotten over that for what they provide.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: redchevy] #7052527 01/25/18 04:29 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
IMO neck shots are not the deadly be-all/end-all shots most think they are either. Risky with whatever bullet you use (for different reasons depending on the bullet).

But that’s another discussion.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: redchevy] #7052559 01/25/18 04:57 PM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Certainly neck and head shots can go poorly. I have never experienced it personally but have seen the results of a few head shots gone bad. I will take a shot if I feel I can make it. My internal processor has taught me to be more than less conservative over the years.

That said ive heard of as many deer that get their lower leg get shot off or gut shots that were not recovered from shoulder shooting as I do from neck/head shots gone wrong.

We are hunters it is up to us individually to know our limits and stay within them. Some will stay within their limits without question some will flirt with the line, and some will go past them with little regard for anything but having a good time and bragging rights.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: redchevy] #7052595 01/25/18 05:22 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Certainly neck and head shots can go poorly. I have never experienced it personally but have seen the results of a few head shots gone bad. I will take a shot if I feel I can make it. My internal processor has taught me to be more than less conservative over the years.

That said ive heard of as many deer that get their lower leg get shot off or gut shots that were not recovered from shoulder shooting as I do from neck/head shots gone wrong.

We are hunters it is up to us individually to know our limits and stay within them. Some will stay within their limits without question some will flirt with the line, and some will go past them with little regard for anything but having a good time and bragging rights.

Perfectly stated.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: redchevy] #7052665 01/25/18 06:20 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I agree. That’s why every shot I can remember for a long time now has been in heart/lung area. Whatever the angle. Not to say I wouldn’t take a different shot if: 1) I had no other option and 2) I felt I could for sure make it. (My first elk was a free-handed base of the neck shot at 75 yards, for example.) Everyone has to know their capabilities and stay within them.

Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: redchevy] #7057401 01/29/18 09:08 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: TackDriver
popcorn

Me too! I'm not diving into that.

I just think that had I used a 100 grain partition instead of a 100 grain sierra I would have had straight line penetration on both of these deer. A relative non issue as they both still dies where they stood and didn't move... but still I don't like how the bullets performed.

You also dont have to take a shot if your not sure about it... bullet construction is only going to make up a very small window of help for a poor placed shot... a larger caliber would do more than a better bullet

Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: Jgraider] #7057403 01/29/18 09:09 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
At 100 yds or less, who would pass up this shot?

East Tx heart shot would put him down

Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: Navasot] #7057460 01/29/18 09:48 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Navasot

You also dont have to take a shot if your not sure about it... bullet construction is only going to make up a very small window of help for a poor placed shot... a larger caliber would do more than a better bullet

Negative, IMO/IME.

Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: Navasot] #7057481 01/29/18 10:01 PM
JLP83 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Navasot
At 100 yds or less, who would pass up this shot?

You can take that shot or you could simply get his attention. Deer turns to look and you send one through both lungs.

Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: JLP83] #7057541 01/29/18 10:39 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: JLP83

You can take that shot or you could simply get his attention. Deer turns to look and you send one through both lungs. [/quote]

Big bucks like that, contrary to popular opinion, seldom stop and look back. They get the heck outa Dodge quickly. Also, you seldom see those mega-bucks twice.

Re: Why I don’t trust cup and core bullets [Re: Jgraider] #7057699 01/30/18 12:33 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: JLP83

You can take that shot or you could simply get his attention. Deer turns to look and you send one through both lungs.

Big bucks like that, contrary to popular opinion, seldom stop and look back. They get the heck outa Dodge quickly. Also, you seldom see those mega-bucks twice. [/quote]

That photo is a strong motivator to practice offhand. Amazing deer, thanks for sharing JGR.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide