443279 Topics
6106623 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#7027804 - 01/06/18 09:39 PM SHNF 2017 rifle season
Bigfoot Offline
Tracker

Loc: Galveston Bay
So far it has been a good year for me in the Sam Houston Natl Forest even though I have only been able to go on 3 hunts thus far.

1st hunt was really just my afternoon visit to set up my ground blind. After setting up my tree limb ground blind around my favorite tree I really didnt want to sit in it and scent it up till I came back looking for deer. So I found a nice log where I was hidden about 200 yards away and set up on what I thought was a fresh pig trail for the afternoon hunt. And sure enough about pig thirty I could hear the footsteps coming. I had a very small shooting lane since this one popped up a little farther away than I was expecting. And as that black body passed by I new instantly it was a shooter and I pegged him perfectly in the shoulder at about 80 yards. He ran in a circle and flopped down so I ran up to him and popped him again. Sweeettt!!! I love shooting pigs!

Trip # 2 was last weekend and I made it out to the ground blind and sat till 11ish and never saw a thing. It was windy and I never heard any other shots all morning so I am guessing they just werent moving. So i hiked over a mile or 2 to another creek and just kept walking and not seeing any fresh or good signs. So I went back to the truck and decided to go check out a new area I had been looking at on the topo map and I am sure glad I did. I walked about half of a mile and boom all of a sudden I am in an area with fresh wallows and fresh pig signs everywhere so I scope out the best "sitting spot/ground blind" and sit down about 3:15. At 4:30 I can hear them coming. She had about 4 or 5 smaller piggies behind her and believe you me I poured out some lead on them but only got the alpha. They were on a full trot and I hit the alpha a little high and in the back and spun her around on the first shot and just hammered her on the second shot.

2 for 2 !!!

So today I decide to set up in this same spot for the morning hunt and see if any deer are passing through this new spot in the mornings. I walk in just before shooting time and sit in my same "ground blind" and not much going on till about 9:30am. I have my hands cupped blowing in to them warming them with my rifle on my lap and I look up and low and behold I am staring at 2 does at 10 yards and they are looking right at me. I cant believe how they snuck up on me so silently. I just freeze. Not much else I can do because as soon as I go for my gun they are gone. Well guess what they bolt and I have no chance. However that was such a rush and such a cool experience that I was on a high all day long. I sat there this afternoon
for the afternoon hunt and nada.

So I didnt go 3 for 3 but I had a chance and that is all I can ask for.

I really have to credit the gun I put together and it really is the perfect set up for hunting in the woods of East Texas.

Upper is a 6.8SPC and was built by Blackstone Arms and it is DOBA "Dead On Balls Accurate"
I built the lower with a Geiselle trigger and thats all that really matters in a lower. The optic is a strike Eagle 1-6 with the so called Xmas tree reticle with a circle above it. This circle is absolutely perfect for moving targets and makes for super easy acquisition. I shot both hogs on 1X with both eyes open and I am convinced this is the most efficient way. Top it off with 120 Gr SST bullets and they just drop right there.

I am extremely happy with my set up!

Edited by Bigfoot (01/06/18 09:45 PM)
22LR

#7028066 - 01/07/18 07:16 AM Re: SHNF 2017 rifle season [Re: Bigfoot]
Amarillo.Hunter Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Amarillo, TX
Awesome job! Keep shooting those piggies.

#7035413 - 01/12/18 08:00 AM Re: SHNF 2017 rifle season [Re: Bigfoot]
brianaustintx Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Katy, TX
Awesome job! A friend and I have been thinking about doing a walk-in or two at SHNF. Looks like we might have to try it out! Thanks for the post!

#7036070 - 01/12/18 04:06 PM Re: SHNF 2017 rifle season [Re: Bigfoot]
Bigfoot Offline
Tracker

Loc: Galveston Bay
Its not easy for sure but if you put in the time you should be able to find something for the pit. Stay near the creeks and you will do fine.
22LR

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide