6043052 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#7026450 - 01/05/18 03:42 PM Marking coveys on your Garmin
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy-Fulshear
Sometimes I forget what I just posted.

Also, sometimes I forget what I just posted, but I never forget the coveys we pointed. Marking coveys is simply not a function that I use. How about you?

#7026595 - 01/05/18 05:38 PM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: bill oxner]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
Been doing it for years. I've been marking coveys on GPS since before I had a dog GPS.

#7026737 - 01/05/18 07:53 PM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: bill oxner]
68rustbucket Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: San Marcos, TX
Iíve done it a couple time when I get on a new place. But after a couple trips itís not that big of a deal to remember.

#7028256 - 01/07/18 10:08 AM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: bill oxner]
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Wimberley, Tx
So this was one of the reasons I talked myself into spending the money for one. I never installed Birdseye and never mark the coveys but like you said I never forget. Itís was supposed to be the whole idea.

I do look at our tracks quite often. Iíve learned how inefficient Iíve been about covering a field. Iíve got a dark colored dog and she can disappear in sage. The gps paid off big time this year with that. It was were the birds were and I wouldíve never hunted it without sight.

I like seeing the stats after the hunt as well. Itís impressive how many miles they cover in a day. I always think one day Iíll slow down and take more pictures on my dog on point or mark coveys on my gps but honestly Iím always in a hurry. The birds donít hold for that usually.

#7028825 - 01/07/18 07:03 PM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: bill oxner]
THF Celebrity

Cracker has been sick. I thought she was going to die. One morning I had to help her out of her kennel. I started digging a little hole to bury her. She hung on. She was off and on her food. I fed her hotdogs and hamburgers. She went into remission during the holidays. I charged up my equipment and took her out this morning. She pointed this covey.

I could take you to those two weeds. We found a scattered covey by this bush. I remember the point from several years ago.

#7028940 - 01/07/18 08:35 PM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: bill oxner]
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker

Yes! So thatís when you find the time to take pics and enjoy the point more....I must say I enjoy walking and watching my dog getting birdy and slamming into a point. Itís also fun feeling the gps buzzing in my vest and saying woe to let her know Iím coming and that moment you find your dog on point...itís Bette then looking at girls..almost

#7029270 - 01/08/18 07:35 AM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: bill oxner]
THF Celebrity

It's my theory that you should not whoa a dog on point or when it's are backing. I think a pointing dog goes into a trance and that talking breaks the spell.

#7029739 - 01/08/18 12:28 PM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: bill oxner]
nak Online   sleepy
Pro Tracker

Loc: DFW
After several arguments with my hunting buddies, we realized that our combined memory about where and when we found coveys was not as good as we each thought it was... particularity true on wild flushes. Based upon that, I have started marking them this season. I can already tell that is going to be worth doing.

#7029776 - 01/08/18 12:47 PM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: bill oxner]
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
It's my theory that you should not whoa a dog on point or when it's are backing. I think a pointing dog goes into a trance and that talking breaks the spell.

My dog is 2. She is whoa broke well. I used to let her use her own discretion on advancing on running birds. In a fairly overgrazed pasture we were not getting many opportunities cause the birds just wouldn't hold so..I started whoaing her on the initial point...just to get to her. The birds would be running and maybe think they got away cause they wouldn't get up.
Then when I get to her I let her go after them and stay fairly close. She trails and points trails and points..I don't say a word to her. I just follow. When she points I move in. It's what works best for me. I don't remember birds running so much in my past but in the rolling plains they seem to be programmed to run more then typical.

#7030768 - 01/08/18 10:23 PM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: bill oxner]
shock_n_awe Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Angleton / West Columbia
I do on big tracks. Primarily use on large areas Iíll hunt year over year. Helps me to review past hunt and be more selective on pattering. We hunt some walk in areas in Kansas and South Dakota and Iíve got some decent data to plan better. Donít mess with it on the ranch or small tracks.

#7030769 - 01/08/18 10:26 PM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: bill oxner]
shock_n_awe Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Angleton / West Columbia
By the way Bill, the white EP I had you look at is still hunting hard. I remember you saying she belonged to a doctor friend of yours. Added 2 Elhews and a GSP since. Theyíre a hoot.

Edited by shock_n_awe (01/08/18 10:27 PM)

#7031016 - 01/09/18 07:39 AM Re: Marking coveys on your Garmin [Re: shock_n_awe]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: shock_n_awe
By the way Bill, the white EP I had you look at is still hunting hard. I remember you saying she belonged to a doctor friend of yours. Added 2 Elhews and a GSP since. Theyíre a hoot.

The pointer came from John Murchison. He's a retired lawyer. He brought two Britts out to hunt with my friend ET earlier in the season. The Britts really had wheels.

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide