Page 1 of 2 1 2
Outboard or surface drive?? #7021534 01/02/18 05:56 PM
Q
Quackshack80 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Q
Selling the old and Getting a new duck boat soon, I have an outboard right now. I’m curious on some opinions on a surface drive vs an outboard. Speed, handling, etc. I hunt in a lot of place where I have to get out and pull the boat to where I need to be. But this boat will also be a fishing boat as well(don’t like getting my bass boat dirty)
Any input would be appreciated

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Quackshack80] #7021580 01/02/18 06:15 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Where do you mainly hunt?

Edit:
I guess it doesn't really matter, there is shallow [censored] everywhere that people duck hunt. If you don't hunt hp restricted areas I'd get a big mud motor.

Last edited by john paul; 01/02/18 06:16 PM.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Quackshack80] #7021671 01/02/18 07:10 PM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
i could run an outboard 85% of the areas I hunt, and 95% of the areas I fish... but the other 5-15% I do need the mud motor is very nice... I would much rather lose the 5-10mph from running an outboard, than having to push through 100 yard mud flats or idle through the river bottom stump fields that we have...

Last edited by WreakinHavoc; 01/02/18 07:11 PM.
Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7021700 01/02/18 07:26 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: WreakinHavoc
i could run an outboard 85% of the areas I hunt, and 95% of the areas I fish... but the other 5-15% I do need the mud motor is very nice... I would much rather lose the 5-10mph from running an outboard, than having to push through 100 yard mud flats or idle through the river bottom stump fields that we have...

Yep

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Quackshack80] #7021857 01/02/18 09:14 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
So with the mud motor when you are running through the stumps on plane, some of your hull is under water. What happens when you hit a stump right under the surface? Is enough of the hull out of the water that you glide right over?

Just wondering, seems like a good way to either crack your hull or end up flying out of the boat.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Quackshack80] #7021880 01/02/18 09:32 PM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I think that's why everyone runs the 4" thick hulls that weigh a thousand pounds with those boats. Never understood why you need to go 20mph through a stumpfield to begin with. After all, there are trot lines hanging and such

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Quackshack80] #7021919 01/02/18 09:54 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My boat only weighs about 225lbs for the hull and 120lbs for the motor.

There is a difference in how a mud/flat boat is built that gives it the ability to glide over stumps.

For the record, most operators don't go flying through stump fields full bore, they know when and where to go the appropriate speed.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: LarryCopper] #7021924 01/02/18 09:59 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
So with the mud motor when you are running through the stumps on plane, some of your hull is under water. What happens when you hit a stump right under the surface? Is enough of the hull out of the water that you glide right over?

Just wondering, seems like a good way to either crack your hull or end up flying out of the boat.

One of the boats I had was a gator trax. I am not much of a mud motor fan but I have own more than my share. If I was to buy another boat I would buy the Gator Trax. They are bullet proof. Hitting a stump is the last thing I would worry about with the GT. With that being said, a 20 foot GT with a tunnel and a 60 HP and a jack plate is what I would buy. I'd be willing to bet that combo would run 6 inch with a hard bottom easy. I don't need to run any more shallow than that, id take an airboat. On the open water that thing would hit speeds far greater than I'd be comfortable with.

Last edited by wal1809; 01/02/18 10:13 PM.
Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: LarryCopper] #7021928 01/02/18 10:01 PM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

with the way my boat is designed, there is enough of the hull out of the water to not effect it. It glides right over. As long as I cant see the stump it glides right over... Even though that happens, I only run just to where my I break over onto plane... and yes, thats why we run .125 gauge boat and others run 3/16" bottom.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Esh and Hattie] #7021956 01/02/18 10:09 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
I think that's why everyone runs the 4" thick hulls that weigh a thousand pounds with those boats. Never understood why you need to go 20mph through a stumpfield to begin with. After all, there are trot lines hanging and such

It's like my grandpa not understanding why you need a truck with a crew cab 4x4 that will comfortably do 75mph.

I've run everything from bullets to pontoons to flat bottoms. A prodrive is the most fun thing to drive. It's like having a 4 wheeler on the water. An old longtail won't get hung up as much as a surface drive. But I'm too old to take that beating anymore.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Quackshack80] #7022284 01/03/18 01:39 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Is it an option to keep the old?

[Linked Image]
Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Hopedale] #7022345 01/03/18 02:11 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I hit way too many stumps and hit bottom too much to even think about an outboard. Stumps and vegetation are the main reasons I would not want an outboard.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Quackshack80] #7022414 01/03/18 03:05 AM
S
scubaarchery Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I have a G3 1860 with an outboard (90 hp) and my friend has a mud motor. My 90 is on a setback plate and I use my tilt to get me to most places his boat can go. I also have a 70hp bow mount trolling motor that I barely put in the water that can get me the rest of the way. For the rest of the year I fish off of my boat and it is primarily a fishing boat. If I just wanted a boat for duck hunting I would get a surface drive but since I fish most of the time I opted for the outboard. I use an aluminum prop vs a stainless prop and keep an extra because they take a while to fish. I would get the boat that best meets the application that you will use if for the most.

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: ducknbass] #7022748 01/03/18 01:35 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

It's like my grandpa not understanding why you need a truck with a crew cab 4x4 that will comfortably do 75mph.

I've run everything from bullets to pontoons to flat bottoms. A prodrive is the most fun thing to drive. It's like having a 4 wheeler on the water. An old longtail won't get hung up as much as a surface drive. But I'm too old to take that beating anymore.

Do you even duck hunt Brah? He didn't ask for the best skill saw to build a house with. up

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: wal1809] #7022762 01/03/18 01:59 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: wal1809

One of the boats I had was a gator trax. I am not much of a mud motor fan but I have own more than my share. If I was to buy another boat I would buy the Gator Trax. They are bullet proof. Hitting a stump is the last thing I would worry about with the GT. With that being said, a 20 foot GT with a tunnel and a 60 HP and a jack plate is what I would buy. I'd be willing to bet that combo would run 6 inch with a hard bottom easy. I don't need to run any more shallow than that

You would not worry about the stumps with the hull, but you would with that motor. I don’t understand why you would put a fragile motor on bullet proof hull, same reason you would not put a surface drive on riveted hull. The former, you tear up the motor pushing the hull to the limit, the latter you tear up the hull pushing the motor to the limit. Surface drive with heavy duty hull, you are matching strength and weaknesses.

If I hit 10 stumps, the punishment is dished out equally, 5 would hit the hull and 5 would hit motor.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: BarneyWho] #7022776 01/03/18 02:16 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Do you even duck hunt Brah? He didn't ask for the best skill saw to build a house with. up

Your face. Shut it.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: LarryCopper] #7023010 01/03/18 04:58 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

I'm going to have me a custom boat built after the season. It will have the beefed up bottoms to take the abuse.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Esh and Hattie] #7023012 01/03/18 04:59 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

If you hunt public then you would understand the need to run 20+ thru the mine fields.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: David Maas] #7023035 01/03/18 05:08 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: David Maas
My boat only weighs about 225lbs for the hull and 120lbs for the motor.

There is a difference in how a mud/flat boat is built that gives it the ability to glide over stumps.

For the record, most operators don't go flying through stump fields full bore, they know when and where to go the appropriate speed.

My current boat is just like yours. Alone I will run thru the stumps full bore. But when I add people thats when it gets dicey. As I know from experience thats a great way to get DEEP gashes in the bottom. Why build a tank and then play patty cake with the stumps? Most operaters your speaking about I'm not sure they understand WHY they spent their money on a tank to begin with.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: David Maas] #7023105 01/03/18 05:52 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

If speed in the stumps scare you, don’t get in Mohunter’s boat, full throttle is the only speed he knows, and that is no lie! You hang on for life and keep hands in boat!!

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Guy] #7024617 01/04/18 05:15 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Guy

If speed in the stumps scare you, don’t get in Mohunter’s boat, full throttle is the only speed he knows, and that is no lie! You hang on for life and keep hands in boat!!

No offense, but I wouldn't get in the boat with anyone on this forum with the exception of one, The crap y'all post not related to running a boat is enough to tell me to keep my feet dry

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Guy] #7024929 01/04/18 08:51 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

One of the boats I had was a gator trax. I am not much of a mud motor fan but I have own more than my share. If I was to buy another boat I would buy the Gator Trax. They are bullet proof. Hitting a stump is the last thing I would worry about with the GT. With that being said, a 20 foot GT with a tunnel and a 60 HP and a jack plate is what I would buy. I'd be willing to bet that combo would run 6 inch with a hard bottom easy. I don't need to run any more shallow than that

You would not worry about the stumps with the hull, but you would with that motor. I don’t understand why you would put a fragile motor on bullet proof hull, same reason you would not put a surface drive on riveted hull. The former, you tear up the motor pushing the hull to the limit, the latter you tear up the hull pushing the motor to the limit. Surface drive with heavy duty hull, you are matching strength and weaknesses.

If I hit 10 stumps, the punishment is dished out equally, 5 would hit the hull and 5 would hit motor.

I am not saying the reason I would buy the gator trax is so I can hit the stumps. Because you have a well built boat does not mean you have to "Push it to the limit" when you drive. I would buy the GT because it is built to last. If I hit a stump, I wouldn't worry about it. I had a 20 ft GT and it was a great boat. I just got sick of the mud motor woes. From my house in POC to where we like to fish and hunt is 18 miles one way. Try that 36 mile trip twice a day over and over again standing up driving a mud rig. 18 miles if there is no wind. If there is a wind you can add another 1/3 to that trip if you're in a mud boat. I bought a boat to match my needs. I can run across the bay in semi v hull explorer in no time. I don't worry about wind anymore.

So far as fragile and 2 strokes, not sure what you mean. I have never once busted a lower or a prop on a stump. I would ease the 2 stroke through a stump field just like I would a mud motor, SLOW. Running fast through a stump field is just plain as dangerous, no matter what you're running.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: Quackshack80] #7025133 01/04/18 11:11 PM
J
jnd59 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
I have a 14' two stroke and I run that rig full blast from the launch right up to the blind. That two stroke just cranks it out as long as I don't run out of breath or have a heart attack. Sometimes I even get up to 4.2 mph. smile

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: David Maas] #7025170 01/04/18 11:36 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

No offense, but I wouldn't get in the boat with anyone on this forum with the exception of one, The crap y'all post not related to running a boat is enough to tell me to keep my feet dry

No offense but if you idle a mud motor through timber I'd throw you out of the boat and take the reins.

Re: Outboard or surface drive?? [Re: wal1809] #7025396 01/05/18 01:57 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
From my house in POC to where we like to fish and hunt is 18 miles one way. Try that 36 mile trip twice a day over and over again standing up driving a mud rig. 18 miles if there is no wind. If there is a wind you can add another 1/3 to that trip if you're in a mud boat. I bought a boat to match my needs. I can run across the bay in semi v hull explorer in no time. I don't worry about wind anymore.

I would go outboard as well with that. The 80/20 rule applies...

So far as fragile and 2 strokes, not sure what you mean. I have never once busted a lower or a prop on a stump. I would ease the 2 stroke through a stump field just like I would a mud motor, SLOW. Running fast through a stump field is just plain as dangerous, no matter what you're running.

What is slow to you? 15 MPH is slow to me, that is how I run at night through the stumps. During the day I go faster. Low visibility at night, I actually love the stumps because I can see them, no stumps freak me out. Last week pouring down snow I was headed to duck hole, when I had stumps in front of me a felt great, no stumps freaked me out, like a dark screen.

Never had an outboard, but hunted with some that have. Scouting one time with member here on the forum, day time, get to stump field he says no way I'm going thru that. In my boat I blaze thru that. Been out few times with Gdogg, he has jack plate, he would idle thru the stumps, have me on stump patrol on front, every time we hit a stump (motor) he was cussing lol. No way I do that, I'm too ADD. A surface drive hitting stumps no big deal. My biggest fear hitting stumps is tiller coming out of hand, losing control of boat, and running into an unforgiving tree. But 15 mph low risk of that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide