Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #7024266 01/04/18 02:08 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: budward
Really? You miss texas hunting after you had to actually HUNT and you successfully killed a deer on public land? THAT is WAY more of an accomplishment than half the fat rednecks in this state that sit on their asses in their blind with buddy heaters...

Congrats! I enjoy hunting public more than my lease in waco because it's more of a challenge. I feel like hunting the lease is too easy sometimes.

To me, the story behind the deer is way more cool than the actual size of the deer. I'm more proud of my public land buck this year I got with my bow than any of the deer I have shot sitting on my butt in front of the corn feeder...

If that is the case then why do you still lease and sit on your butt watching a corn feeder?

Why have a lease at all?

GOOD QUESTION! Because its a guaranteed spot to fill my freezer with meat, which is the #1 reason I hunt. If i don't have to buy meat from a grocery store all year long, then I had a good hunting season. Hunting the lease is enjoyable, but its NOT a challenge.

Plus its a good place to hang out with friends. When i hunt on public land its solo ops.

Last edited by budward; 01/04/18 02:08 PM.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024271 01/04/18 02:09 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
Really? You miss texas hunting after you had to actually HUNT and you successfully killed a deer on public land? THAT is WAY more of an accomplishment than half the fat rednecks in this state that sit on their asses in their blind with buddy heaters...

When I was a young(er) man, I often dreamed of hunting the old fashioned way. At 60 with a bad back and two arthritic knees I still enjoy my public land hunts. It's just the pain I have for weeks after I successfully harvest an animal that reminds me I'm no longer a spring chicken.

I'd happily drag your deer out of the woods if I were there. When I hunt with my dad and his friend (both are in mid 60's) I consider it a right of passage, and privilege, to haul their deer/elk out for them.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #7024284 01/04/18 02:14 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
It just gets old seeing the public hunting crowd act like it's something to be revered hunting public ground and being successful.

I hunt public ground in other states. It's fine, but bet your boots if I had access to private ground I would pick private 99% of the time. I don't think it's anything noble to hunt or kill on public ground. Harder? Yes, in most cases it is but it doesent make it better

I've killed a few animals on public ground. They didn't mean Any more to me than my private land kills high or low fence. Shot an elk this past October on public land. I found a elky looking spot and a nice 6x6 walked out at dusk and I plugged it. No great amount of skill necessary there other than I can shoot well from field positions. Year before that I spotted a mule deer from almost 2 miles away, drove a mile then stalked another mile to him and got to within 300 yards and then shot him. It was on private ground.

Guess which one I pat myself on the back more for?

Hunting public land in Colorado is a LOT different than public land in Texas. In Colorado, you can see for miles at times. In Texas, you're lucky to see 20 yards in front of your face.

It's not about who's more noble, about ego's or anything else. It's about what YOU" enjoy. Personally, I enjoy hunting private and public. I will happily sit in my tripod and watch my feeder, but after you get one on public land in Texas, and public land in Colorado, it made feeder hunting seem Real Tame. Not to say I don't enjoy it or judge anyone, But after NOT getting one after 6 years of hunting public land, and then Finally get one on public land for FREE, sitting under a cedar tree on a game trail from 10 yards with a bow, that was pretty cool! The allure is being able to fill my freezer without paying some high dollar ranch or land owner to do it. Hunting in Texas is VERY expensive compared to a lot of other states. I can go elk hunting for 1200$ in Colorado and have a reasonable chance of coming home with something, a decent lease in Texas will cost you 2-3k, easy. Many of you probably spend upwards of 5-10k per year. Thats crazy to me. I don't care about horn size, i want to EAT. And of course I want an opportunity on a mature buck, if possible.

Last edited by budward; 01/04/18 02:40 PM.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: SapperTitan] #7024291 01/04/18 02:19 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
What I love about hunting in Texas is you can hunt almost any wY you can imagine. You can sit in a deer stand, ground blind,tree stand, spot and stalk, night hunt with thermal, shoothogs frim a helicopter, hunt HF or LF, hunt food plots, hunt feeders, hunt travel corridors, hunt water sources, trap yr around, kill non native species yr around, you can hunt private land or public, anyone can use a crossbow. Do what makes you happy and don’t bash others for not doing it like you and you will be a much happier person. Personally I just love to hunt and will do it however I want as long as it’s legal and I’ll do it in as many ways as I want. God bless Texas.

By the way Indians would have probably been happy to be able to hunt a feeder

The Indians would have been happy to have wild hogs to eat and feed themselves with too. Which is why I refuse to leave them lying on the ground, It seems disrespectful to our ancestors to leave good meat on the ground to rot.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: 8pointdrop] #7024301 01/04/18 02:24 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
[/quote]
Exactly, just I'm better than you bs mindset. If that's how you feel go "HUNT" public and compete with everybody for your little 3 yr old scrub buck. I'll keep hunting my way for something worth talking about.

I've got a lease with no feeders or blinds and see 20+ deer a sit. Still don't think a 110" public land buck is superior to my 140" buck killed without feeders, you couldn't pay me to waste a buck tag on a 110" deer, no matter public or private. [/quote]

Yes you don't have any "I'm better than you" in you at all. roflmao [/quote]
Get tired of the bull chit comments, you're one of the best at it. Look back on my posts you won't find any saying my lease or deer is better than anybody. Hell you won't find a pic of any of my deer on here or Facebook. When a man claims his puny public buck "is better" I take offence to that. I'm not fat, I am a little bit redneck, and I don't sit in a warm blind over a feeder. To claim you're better at hunting because of where or how you do it is just trying to convince yourself a subpar deer is better than it is. Archery guys burn me up too claiming a 120" with an arrow is better than a 150" with a gun...ok sure it is, whatever makes you feel good about your deer I guess. [/quote]

You sound like a california cupcake.

Last edited by budward; 01/04/18 02:24 PM.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024305 01/04/18 02:26 PM
M
Mako My Day Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Can't we all just get along??? stir

We all love to hunt, or we wouldn't be on here. To each their own, however you fill your freezer is entirely up to you, just enjoy your time in the field.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Mako My Day] #7024314 01/04/18 02:31 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: Mako My Day
Can't we all just get along??? stir

We all love to hunt, or we wouldn't be on here. To each their own, however you fill your freezer is entirely up to you, just enjoy your time in the field.

THF wouldn't be fun without a little kicking the hornets nest every now and then smile

BTW I don't mean to disrespect or judge ANYONE. Hunting is great. In fact, don't even bother hunting on TExas public land, it sucks and you're better off on a high fence somewhere. smile

Last edited by budward; 01/04/18 02:33 PM.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: budward] #7024317 01/04/18 02:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
What I love about hunting in Texas is you can hunt almost any wY you can imagine. You can sit in a deer stand, ground blind,tree stand, spot and stalk, night hunt with thermal, shoothogs frim a helicopter, hunt HF or LF, hunt food plots, hunt feeders, hunt travel corridors, hunt water sources, trap yr around, kill non native species yr around, you can hunt private land or public, anyone can use a crossbow. Do what makes you happy and don’t bash others for not doing it like you and you will be a much happier person. Personally I just love to hunt and will do it however I want as long as it’s legal and I’ll do it in as many ways as I want. God bless Texas.

The Indians would have been happy to have wild hogs to eat and feed themselves with too. Which is why I refuse to leave them lying on the ground, It seems disrespectful to our ancestors to leave good meat on the ground to rot.

you know how much meat the Indians left on the ground for buzzards? they killed for hides and the tounges and left the rest laying on the ground plenty of times.

Nice ideology though

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #7024338 01/04/18 02:43 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B

you know how much meat the Indians left on the ground for buzzards? they killed for hides and the tounges and left the rest laying on the ground plenty of times.

Nice ideology though

Well by most accounts they used Every single part of whatever they killed. I'm sure there were some exceptions but by and large the Buffalo provided everything from hides, meat, tools, thread, rope, etc etc. Atleast for the Comanches. I can't speak for every tribe.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024357 01/04/18 02:51 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Last post but had to. This is a public land buck I was chasing this year. Just to prove a point....There is much better to be had, they are smart on public land though, they get hunted harder and lots of them are nocturnal which makes it really tough. Which is why it feels so good to finally get one

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #7024405 01/04/18 03:24 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Nice ideology though

Hey now, your gonna ruin his Disney-fueled FantasyLand

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: budward] #7024475 01/04/18 04:07 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

I don’t have any Indian ancestors and I don’t have a problem feeding hogs to buzzards and coyotes

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: budward] #7024519 01/04/18 04:26 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Nice ideology though

Well by most accounts they used Every single part of whatever they killed. I'm sure there were some exceptions but by and large the Buffalo provided everything from hides, meat, tools, thread, rope, etc etc. Atleast for the Comanches. I can't speak for every tribe.

And those accounts are mostly bullchit.

They needed meat they killed a few, ate what they could and left the rest unless they could preserve it and carry it off. Many were killed just for hides and tongues and that was it.

To think they only killed exactly what they could eat and that they used every part of the animal every time....well I have some ocean front property you may be interested in if you buy that story.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024528 01/04/18 04:29 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Btw the Indians were not proponents of public hunting land

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #7024578 01/04/18 04:56 PM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: QMC(SW/EXW)
To each his or her own. Work brought me to TX and I now hunt deer in TX but I would much rather go back to my native CO and hunt deer and elk by glassing and spot and stalk than sitting in a bling over a feeder. However since I now teach HS it is hard to get a few weeks off in Oct or Nov to do that so I shoot whitetail does here for meat but to me it really isn't hunting, more like grocery shopping.
Then why do you do it? Is there a rule where you hunt against spot and stalk? Go sit in or under a tree with no feeder if it makes you feel better.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: budward] #7024649 01/04/18 05:41 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
It just gets old seeing the public hunting crowd act like it's something to be revered hunting public ground and being successful.

I hunt public ground in other states. It's fine, but bet your boots if I had access to private ground I would pick private 99% of the time. I don't think it's anything noble to hunt or kill on public ground. Harder? Yes, in most cases it is but it doesent make it better

I've killed a few animals on public ground. They didn't mean Any more to me than my private land kills high or low fence. Shot an elk this past October on public land. I found a elky looking spot and a nice 6x6 walked out at dusk and I plugged it. No great amount of skill necessary there other than I can shoot well from field positions. Year before that I spotted a mule deer from almost 2 miles away, drove a mile then stalked another mile to him and got to within 300 yards and then shot him. It was on private ground.

Hunting public land in Colorado is a LOT different than public land in Texas. In Colorado, you can see for miles at times. In Texas, you're lucky to see 20 yards in front of your face.

It's not about who's more noble, about ego's or anything else. It's about what YOU" enjoy. Personally, I enjoy hunting private and public. I will happily sit in my tripod and watch my feeder, but after you get one on public land in Texas, and public land in Colorado, it made feeder hunting seem Real Tame. Not to say I don't enjoy it or judge anyone, But after NOT getting one after 6 years of hunting public land, and then Finally get one on public land for FREE, sitting under a cedar tree on a game trail from 10 yards with a bow, that was pretty cool! The allure is being able to fill my freezer without paying some high dollar ranch or land owner to do it. Hunting in Texas is VERY expensive compared to a lot of other states. I can go elk hunting for 1200$ in Colorado and have a reasonable chance of coming home with something, a decent lease in Texas will cost you 2-3k, easy. Many of you probably spend upwards of 5-10k per year. Thats crazy to me. I don't care about horn size, i want to EAT. And of course I want an opportunity on a mature buck, if possible.

So you can't see more than 20 yards hunting in Texas?

You don't have a clue when it comes to hunting Texas based on your post.

If your all about the meat and keeping cost low you couldn't live in a better state. There are axis does available in the classifieds now for $350.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024690 01/04/18 06:07 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Pitchfork predator you are exactly right!

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024809 01/04/18 07:22 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Texas has many different regions all of which vary greatly from one another.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7025381 01/05/18 01:47 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

He must be hunting east Texas. No wonder he doesn't like it.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7025731 01/05/18 12:47 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
bolt Interesting topic.

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7025798 01/05/18 01:35 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
tt85 I don’t get your mindset about the elk you killed.
Sure, that particular hunt was easy as far as the shot goes - but you put yourself in a position to kill a big-a** elk on public land (maybe an OTC tag but IDK).
Success rates for public land elk in CO are very low. You beat the odds.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #7025980 01/05/18 03:18 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C

Nice ideology though

Cite your sources.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7025982 01/05/18 03:23 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B

You don't have a clue when it comes to hunting Texas based on your post.

If your all about the meat and keeping cost low you couldn't live in a better state. There are axis does available in the classifieds now for $350.

Lol ok sir.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: maximus_flavius] #7025985 01/05/18 03:24 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

He must be hunting east Texas. No wonder he doesn't like it.

Yes,Yes thats exactly right...East texas it is smile

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: maximus_flavius] #7025989 01/05/18 03:26 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
I hunted public land 1 time, around Palestine. The amount of asshattery was astonishing. You couldn't pay me to hunt public land. How more people are not accidentally shot, I'll never know. You couldn't throw your hat & not hit somebody else.

Now, back to the purse swinging in this thread, where cheapskates extoll the virtues of shooting puny does & immature bucks before someone else 50 yds away shoots them.

Yes sir! That's exactly right. Go ahead and keep telling everyone that. Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide