Forum Stats
63588 Members
45 Forums
450876 Topics
6230315 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7018918 - 12/31/17 06:20 PM How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand?
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

I've been hunting with my Marlin 30-30 a lot this season and was wondering how you guys set your trigger and safety combination when on the stand? The type of safety will likely help determine this, but the idea is to have a gun that's safe and yet can be quickly and quietly readied to fire. For example, with the trigger in the halfcock position, isn't the gun just as safe from an accidental discharge as having the safety on? Do you leave the safety off when the trigger is set to halfcock? Or perhaps you leave the trigger fully cocked with the safety on. And what about those who use a lever gun like the Winchester Model 94 that doesn't have a safety on the receiver but can only be fired with the lever pressed against the neck of the stock? Do you consider the lever safety sufficicient with the trigger fully cocked?

Spring, Texas

#7018953 - 12/31/17 06:43 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Texas Dan]
Tactical Cowboy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Snyder
There should be no safety on a lever gun.

As such, I keep a round chambered and the hammer half-cocked.

Powder coated cast bullets available. https://www.facebook.com/lazyhbullets/

#7018968 - 12/31/17 06:51 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Texas Dan]
Adchunts Offline
Woodsman

Loc: New Braunfels, TX
My Glenfield 30A has one in the chamber, and the hammer down when Iím in the stand. I usually hunt with a T/C Encore muzzleloader and centerfire, so cocking the hammer is second nature.

#7018985 - 12/31/17 06:59 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Tactical Cowboy]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Chambers County
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

This.
Close thread.

#7019014 - 12/31/17 07:18 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Tactical Cowboy]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

So if your lever gun has a safety, you just might as well leave it off and only use the trigger's halfcock position to protect against accidental discharge. Correct?

Of course, this assumes that in the height of a relapse into Buck Fever, you don't forget to pull the trigger back to its fully cocked position.

Otherwise, when sitting on the stand, leave the safety on and the trigger fully cocked as would be the case with most of your deer rifles.

Edited by Texas Dan (12/31/17 07:20 PM)

Spring, Texas

#7019026 - 12/31/17 07:28 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Texas Dan]
Dalee7892 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Denton County
My dad's old Winchester 32 spc.has no safety except for the position of the hammer, the New Winchester 357, I just acquired has a safety on it. I would have either safety off and half [censored] or safety on and full [censored]. Safety is first.

#7019031 - 12/31/17 07:34 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: TexFlip]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Originally Posted By: TexFlip

This.
Close thread.

#7019039 - 12/31/17 07:37 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

This.
Close thread.

No safety and no scope?

Spring, Texas

#7019046 - 12/31/17 07:41 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Texas Dan]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Mine have a safety-itís called the half cocked position.

#7019056 - 12/31/17 07:48 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Texas Dan]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

So if your lever gun has a safety, you just might as well leave it off and only use the trigger's halfcock position to protect against accidental discharge. Correct?

Of course, this assumes that in the height of a relapse into Buck Fever, you don't forget to pull the trigger back to its fully cocked position.

Otherwise, when sitting on the stand, leave the safety on and the trigger fully cocked as would be the case with most of your deer rifles.

If a lever gun has a safety, you remove it.

#7019058 - 12/31/17 07:49 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Texas Dan]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

This.
Close thread.

No safety and no scope?

Didn't say anything about optics. There is zero need for a single action, manually operated firearm to have a mechanical safety.

#7019079 - 12/31/17 08:06 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Texas Dan]
Sneaky Online   content
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
I donít use the safety on a lever gun. Iíd rather it didnít have one.

#7019104 - 12/31/17 08:26 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Texas Dan]
Ritter Offline

Loc: Southern Oklahoma
My model 94 has a safety. It's called half-cocked.

The rest of my rifles have safeties also. They're called the guy behind the trigger.

#7019134 - 12/31/17 08:40 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Sneaky]
2Beez Online   happy
Chihuahua

Loc: Lake Texoma, TX
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I donít use the safety on a lever gun. Iíd rather it didnít have one.

X2 Half cocked is safety.

#7019165 - 12/31/17 08:56 PM Re: How do you set the trigger and safety combination on your lever gun when on the stand? [Re: Texas Dan]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

I suspected my post would generate some lively discussion, and that it has.

As with any topic, it's easy to find someone who addresses it will some level of authority.

"I recently got an email from Ed Harris which touched on this very subject. Talking about the Marlin pistol-caliber lever actions, he says:

ďThe crossbolt safety of modern Marlins is wonderful and permits safe carry with the chamber loaded. This is safer than carrying with the hammer down and safety off, because in that manner the gun could fire if the hammer were struck or the rifle dropped.

When I worked at NRA I was aware of accidental discharges when the hammer jarred off the half-[censored] notch. The hammer being heavy enough, and pistol primers sensitive enough, the gun would fire even with the reduced hammer fall from the half-[censored]. We set this up in the lab and reproduced it with .38 Special loads regularly. Less often with harder primers in .357 and .44 Magnum, but it could still occur."

Edited by Texas Dan (12/31/17 09:04 PM)

Spring, Texas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide