Forums46
Topics537,930
Posts9,730,823
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7020921 01/02/18 03:51 AM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
The OP was apologetic for not using the word bison, but he needn't be. People seem to think bison was a native American term but it isn't. Both buffalo and bison come from the ancient Greek and Roman words for "wild ox".

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Sneaky] #7020930 01/02/18 03:55 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Like him or not, NG is not dense.

Him and Stub are both good dudes.

I don’t expect the two of you to ever get along, but I do believe you are both decent, sharp fellas with the best interests of hunting in mind.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: postoak] #7020957 01/02/18 04:16 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: postoak
The OP was apologetic for not using the word bison, but he needn't be. People seem to think bison was a native American term but it isn't. Both buffalo and bison come from the ancient Greek and Roman words for "wild ox".

I'll confess, I'm not sorry.

I'll say things like Buffalo and could care less and ain't and my 4th grade English teacher can kiss off

I didn't mean that , Mrs. Felt was a real nice lady

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7020959 01/02/18 04:18 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: sprigsss
I havent researched this much because I too was taught white man killed them all.

While I believe white man is responsible, I dont not believe it was intentional or that they were wiped out with firearms.

Last January I hunted with a friend in Wyoming. His dad is a retired Sargeant Major and big history buff. Ge has researched this for years.

Some of his points was the mat doesnt add up. He says the estimated buffalo killed doesnt come close to population estimates.

He also points out that the buffalo disappearnce across country coincided with cattle drives through those areas.

He mentions huge boneyards that have been searched, and no evidence of animals being shot.

From his research he believes it was the spread of tick fever from the cattle.

Was some pretty interesting discussions. Not.sure if he is 100% accurate, but he had references with numbers that bavked his claims.

Highly probable screw worms/Whitetails, Pneumonia/Sheep, Etc

This is where I was going with my original thread

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7020978 01/02/18 04:42 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
https://www.fws.gov/bisonrange/timeline.htm

Quote:
An estimated two million bison were killed this year on the southern plains. Germany had developed a process to tan bison hides into fine leather.
Homesteaders collected bones from carcasses left by hunters. Bison bones were used in refining sugar, and in making fertilizer and fine bone china. Bison bones brought from $2.50 to $15.00 a ton. Based on an average price of $8 per ton they brought 2.5 million dollars into Kansas alone between 1868 and 1881. Assuming that about 100 skeletons were required to make one ton of bones, this represented the remains of more than 31 million bison.

[Linked Image]
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7020982 01/02/18 04:45 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: postoak

I'll confess, I'm not sorry.

I'll say things like Buffalo and could care less and ain't and my 4th grade English teacher can kiss off

I didn't mean that , Mrs. Felt was a real nice lady

I was glad it was cleared up before things got started, just another point that would have been argued, I have seen it over buffalo/bison before.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Sneaky] #7022359 01/03/18 02:19 AM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
American Bison by Steve Rinella.......that is all

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: dogcatcher] #7022785 01/03/18 02:24 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Quote:
An estimated two million bison were killed this year on the southern plains. Germany had developed a process to tan bison hides into fine leather.
Homesteaders collected bones from carcasses left by hunters. Bison bones were used in refining sugar, and in making fertilizer and fine bone china. Bison bones brought from $2.50 to $15.00 a ton. Based on an average price of $8 per ton they brought 2.5 million dollars into Kansas alone between 1868 and 1881. Assuming that about 100 skeletons were required to make one ton of bones, this represented the remains of more than 31 million bison.

Is it possible that many of those bones were from animals that were not shot to death?

An estimated 2 million were killed, based on what population?

I see a lot of MLD programs that issue tags based on 30% of the population.

I see a lot of numbers thrown around like 60-80 million population and that is compared with total amount of animals killed. Were the animals not still reproducing? So how many offspring did those 60-80 million buffalo produce over the decades in question?

Not saying hunters didn't play a part in reducing their numbers, but I do believe there were other factors that lead to their demise.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7022805 01/03/18 02:41 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Some hunters ventured out to kill buffalo and returned with bones, rather than hides. Why was that? Certainly the hides were worth more than bones. Perhaps these hunters didn't shoot the animals to which the bones belonged.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/big-game/buffalo-hunted-to-near-extinction/

Last edited by sprigsss; 01/03/18 02:42 PM.
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7023122 01/03/18 06:02 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
White man killed them. They didn't vanish after we showed up by coincidence. Maybe there wasn't 60 million bullets available during that time all at once but people can make a very large impact if just given some time. Think outside the box a little and more of a timeline rather than in an instant.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: sprigsss] #7023215 01/03/18 07:23 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Quote:

Is it possible that many of those bones were from animals that were not shot to death?

I see a lot of numbers thrown around like 60-80 million population and that is compared with total amount of animals killed. Were the animals not still reproducing? So how many offspring did those 60-80 million buffalo produce over the decades in question?

Not saying hunters didn't play a part in reducing their numbers, but I do believe there were other factors that lead to their demise.

To get your answers you need to read the complete article at the link I posted.

[Linked Image]
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: dogcatcher] #7023267 01/03/18 08:06 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

Quote:

To get your answers you need to read the complete article at the link I posted.

I read the complete article. It doesn't answer anything. It mentions disease once that I remember and attributes the numbers reported to hunters.

With the exception of the 31 million estimated from tons of bones, the rest of the reported harvests wouldn't put a dent in the population. Its also a fact that when many hunters went out to look for buffalo they returned with bones and no hides. Why would they leave the more valuable hides and return with less valuable bones? Much easier to transfer 2-3 hides than a ton of bones.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7023276 01/03/18 08:09 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Cherokee Mingan
White man killed them. They didn't vanish after we showed up by coincidence. Maybe there wasn't 60 million bullets available during that time all at once but people can make a very large impact if just given some time. Think outside the box a little and more of a timeline rather than in an instant.

Did white man cause the buffalo disappearance? Yes, I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Did white man wipe them out by shooting them 1 at a time? I seriously doubt that.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: sprigsss] #7023284 01/03/18 08:13 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

Did white man cause the buffalo disappearance? Yes, I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Did white man wipe them out by shooting them 1 at a time? I seriously doubt that.

Actually yes, they probably did kill the majority of them 1 at a time over a length of time. Same with several other species that were over hunted, combined with other factors.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7023748 01/04/18 01:23 AM
H
Hirogen Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Pretty sure Putin's ancestors did it as revenge for getting taken when they sold Alaska in 1859. On the bright side it was good for climate change as the average bison produces 4 times as much greenhouse gas as the average cow does over the course of its life.

Last edited by Hirogen; 01/04/18 01:24 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7023837 01/04/18 02:34 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I think the werefeet killed ‘em.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7023927 01/04/18 03:38 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

There were many ethnicities involved in westward expansion and were hunting them for profit. To say "White man killed them" seems a bit uninformed to me. Perhaps the most accurate description would be, the new indigenous people, killed them.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7023946 01/04/18 03:45 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
“new indigenous” is an oxymoron.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7023953 01/04/18 03:51 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Truth.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7024137 01/04/18 12:32 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

When we're gone and the newer people inhabit this part of the planet, and history forgets there were others here before we took the land from the previous inhabitants, I'm assuming we will be referred to as indigenous. Exactly like what has recently occurred with the term "indigenous". New indigenous was my attempt at irony that was missed.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7024215 01/04/18 01:43 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
popcorn

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7024352 01/04/18 02:48 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

Actually yes, they probably did kill the majority of them 1 at a time over a length of time. Same with several other species that were over hunted, combined with other factors.

So do you believe disease played no part?

How do you explain the huge piles of remains that were investigated that showed no evidence of ever having been shot?

Disease will wreak havoc at far greater rates than man with a gun.

Last edited by sprigsss; 01/04/18 02:49 PM.
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: sprigsss] #7024466 01/04/18 04:02 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

So do you believe disease played no part?

How do you explain the huge piles of remains that were investigated that showed no evidence of ever having been shot?

Disease will wreak havoc at far greater rates than man with a gun.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide