THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
I said it before and I will say it again, the bow hunter on 100 acres is a set up for a deer jumping a fence. how many posts do we read every year in october about a well shot deer that ran 300-800 yards before finally expiring? Heck, I have seen a deer with a blown up heart from a gun shot run over 75 yards. There is no way to guarantee a DRT type death with anything.

By taking the mentality of the OP, we should ban bow hunting on any acreage less than 400, and gun hunting on anything less than 100 acres, as there is too much risk for deer jumping fences and stands overlooking a neighbors property. confused2

You've said a lot alright, & none of it makes any sense.

Lol, it's city slicker talk roflmao

Are you a bow hunter? You've never shot a deer, with an arrow, & recovered them within 400 acres? If I couldnt do any better than that, I'd take up another sport. Maybe bowling is your thing.

I never said I have shot a deer and watched it run 400 yards or more, but I read about it every year during bow season and many times dogs are involved and half mile tracking jobs use up a lot of 400 acres. totally depends on how the land is situated.

I am a bow hunter, hunt mainly in Oklahoma where bow season is much longer than gun season, so again, barking up the wrong tree.

But you need to stop telling people what they can and can not do...just because everyone isn't robin hood doesn't mean there can't be bow hunters. Just because you don't like the idea of a deer running over a fence doesn't mean the sport isn't for everyone. Its people like you that give our sport a bad name for the anti's and the petas and all the other acronyms that are anti-hunting to use against us. "If you can't nail a running deer from 500 yards with your bow, then you shouldn't be bow hunting, maybe you should try bowling instead"

Seriously, you ever read what you write before you hit send? We want more hunters, more conservationists in the sport of hunting. Why would you actively dissuade someone from the sport because they can't make a perfect DRT shot with a bow? Grow some man balls and realize the more people we have that love the sport the longer we will be able to participate in the sport cheers

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7013652 12/27/17 11:21 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
I know that they are shooting deer coming from me.

And you are shooting deer coming from their places.

Sometimes but the creek and virtually all of the cover is on my place.
Most around me grass lease and the guys that lease it graze it bare and keep way too many cattle on the places. Seldom ever see a deer on the property unless jumping my fence to go to feeder 50 foot away.
Like I said I don’t like it much, the feeders are too close and the blinds are close. A bad shot over my fence could hit my house which is only about a 1/4mile off the fence on one side and 350 yards on the other.
I also feed corn year around because we like to see deer. They start feeding about September and quit as soon as season is over.
But I just ask them not to shoot on my side of fence. I don’t build a high fence to deny them anything because I think it is mine. I also get along with them OK.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7013654 12/27/17 11:25 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Man, you complain more about hunters than the anti-hunters do!

No kiddin'. Bla bla bla, ba f'n bla. Good Lord.

I would not only give them access to recover, I would help them. If they were newbies, I might even show them how to clean it. The only time I've ever had issues is when bullets crossed my/our fence. I've had bullets zip by me 5 times in my life on different properties and a few really close, it's not my favorite thing. I would rather my neighbor put his blind on the fence and shoot into his property.

All this "MY MY MY" stuff, worse than a damn spoiled kid.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013719 12/28/17 12:16 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Funny thing about fence-lines. Once the fence goes up it's as much theirs as yours, no matter who built the fence. I'd never stop anyone from recovering a deer, and I'd help them all I could. I may be naive, but unless I have a really good reason to doubt someone I won't, and just having a stand on a line is no such reason.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013780 12/28/17 12:59 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If Maximus really treats his neighbors like he claims to on the forum he would either be the toughest man in the county or get his arse whipped every time someone saw him at the feed store where I grew up.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Texas buckeye] #7013828 12/28/17 01:33 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

It is about a guy who doesn't like city slickers and he is expressing his views in different way s through different posts. It isn't about being neighborly, it is about being unwelcoming to city slickers.

If maximus had his way, no one from Tarrant, dallas, Collin or denton countries woud be allowed to hunt in the state of texas...not to mention bexar, Austin, and all of the Houston metro....but since he doesn't ergularly deal with those city slickers he ignores them and kindly reserves his unwelcoming nature for the DFW-ites who hunt near him and his property, overlooking and watching his every move and stealing his deer as they leap the fence hammer

Just to make a correction here... most of us that hunt with big 'ol cuddly Maximus are from Collin, Denton and Dallas counties, but we sure the hell keep those Tarrant county guys away! smile

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: scalebuster] #7013833 12/28/17 01:37 AM
K
KK30RAR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
If Maximus really treats his neighbors like he claims to on the forum he would either be the toughest man in the county or get his arse whipped every time someone saw him at the feed store where I grew up.
. Some people just know it all ( at least in their own mind )

Pulsar xq50 trail
Pulsar xq30f Helion
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013866 12/28/17 02:03 AM
JacobHerman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Being from Tennessee I can tell you that a big place is 100 acres in my state. Its also 6-10k and there is plenty of grass. There are no "my deer, his deer" as owning deer isnt kosher. Cant legally breed them. We also think it is generally unethical, and illegal to use a feeder or put out corn. Whole different set of laws.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: skinnerback] #7013871 12/28/17 02:07 AM
maximus_flavius Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
I've had bullets zip by me 5 times in my life on different properties and a few really close, it's not my favorite thing. I would rather my neighbor put his blind on the fence and shoot into his property.

Some people are slow learners. If I had 5 bullets zip past my head, I'd change something.

"My My My". It's my land. Not the neighbors. That makes me a spoiled kid? I'm not obligated to let anyone into any property, just because they wanna hunt the fence line.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: therancher] #7013875 12/28/17 02:11 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: therancher

First. You’re wrong in example one. I can pay a million bucks for a deer and he still doesn’t belong to me. That’s how ridiculous the states laws are. I have never bought anything but does but I did kill all the “states” deer off one of my HF ranches. So I do have a known genetic line on that place.

Of course there is no “moral high ground” in either. And I shared why I didn’t like hunters cherry picking my fence lines on the other thread.

Sometimes I'm not real smart so help me here...

So, IF you have never bought anything but Doe, AND have killed off all the states deer........ How are those doe getting bred????????

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013898 12/28/17 02:23 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
A guy just bought a 200 ft role of 1/2 in steel cable from me. Talked about a crossing. Barbed wire wouldnt keep the neighbors out. Guess it could be worse. duel

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013914 12/28/17 02:36 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Glad I don't have DB neighbors. I could setup on the fence and they'd let me track if it crossed and they could do the same with no problems. Heck we even share trail cam pics to follow some shared deer. Im obviously lucky reading the whining here

[Linked Image]
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: JacobHerman] #7013922 12/28/17 02:41 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: JacobHerman
We also think it is generally unethical, and illegal to use a feeder or put out corn.

I see you're moving to Texas in your ID panel (or whatever that's called). Should we assume you'll continue your feeder-less ways?

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7013943 12/28/17 02:50 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Hard to justify tracking a wounded deer over a high fence! And this is one of the reasons why there are high fences, keeps your neighbors honest

Last edited by BowsnRods; 12/28/17 02:53 AM.
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: BowsnRods] #7013994 12/28/17 03:16 AM
5Redman8 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
Hard to justify tracking a wounded deer over a high fence! And this is one of the reasons why there are high fences, keeps your neighbors honest

According to some clowns....deer jump high fences with regular ease....I am sure a wounded one might also fly over one too.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7014016 12/28/17 03:25 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I've had bullets zip by me 5 times in my life on different properties and a few really close, it's not my favorite thing. I would rather my neighbor put his blind on the fence and shoot into his property.

Some people are slow learners. If I had 5 bullets zip past my head, I'd change something.

"My My My". It's my land. Not the neighbors. That makes me a spoiled kid? I'm not obligated to let anyone into any property, just because they wanna hunt the fence line.

I am a slow learner when it comes to women, no doubt about that. When it comes to hunting, lighten up. I spend a TON of money on feed year round. I work year round on the place to better OUR herd but I will not be a d*** and refuse a Father and Son the right to recover their deer. If THEY shot it, it's their deer. It's just a deer. Even if it's a deer I know and have passed several times. The way I see it, the memories that those two made together is more important than me calling that deer mine and obsessing about it...as long as they are not breaking the law trespassing or shooting into my ground. When I was growing up none of this was an issue. Have hunted from 250,000 acres to 5 acres. The drive for growing trophies has changed people and some have gone nuts. Don't break the law, hunt, and quit driving yourself crazy when others don't hunt the same way that you do.

PS: A hunter IS SHOWING respect to you if they call you to get permission to cross that fence.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7014100 12/28/17 04:11 AM
S
SmallTownHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Nothing worse than some weekend DB setting up a pop up 5 ft from the fence 3 days before opening day of rifle season.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #7014106 12/28/17 04:13 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Originally Posted By: therancher

First. You’re wrong in example one. I can pay a million bucks for a deer and he still doesn’t belong to me. That’s how ridiculous the states laws are. I have never bought anything but does but I did kill all the “states” deer off one of my HF ranches. So I do have a known genetic line on that place.

Of course there is no “moral high ground” in either. And I shared why I didn’t like hunters cherry picking my fence lines on the other thread.

Sometimes I'm not real smart so help me here...

So, IF you have never bought anything but Doe, AND have killed off all the states deer........ How are those doe getting bred????????

He could have bought the does bred already and allowed the offspring to inbreed. Seems that I’ve heard that’s acceptable to a certain degree. I don’t know if that’s what therancher did, but it’s possible.

Last edited by Sneaky; 12/28/17 04:15 AM.
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: SmallTownHunter] #7014109 12/28/17 04:14 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: SmallTownHunter
Nothing worse than some weekend DB setting up a pop up 5 ft from the fence 3 days before opening day of rifle season.

I can think of a hundred things worse than that.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: skinnerback] #7014124 12/28/17 04:21 AM
maximus_flavius Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker

I am a slow learner when it comes to women, no doubt about that. When it comes to hunting, lighten up. I spend a TON of money on feed year round. I work year round on the place to better OUR herd but I will not be a d*** and refuse a Father and Son the right to recover their deer. If THEY shot it, it's their deer. It's just a deer. Even if it's a deer I know and have passed several times. The way I see it, the memories that those two made together is more important than me calling that deer mine and obsessing about it...as long as they are not breaking the law trespassing or shooting into my ground. When I was growing up none of this was an issue. Have hunted from 250,000 acres to 5 acres. The drive for growing trophies has changed people and some have gone nuts. Don't break the law, hunt, and quit driving yourself crazy when others don't hunt the same way that you do.

PS: A hunter IS SHOWING respect to you if they call you to get permission to cross that fence.

All that is awesome, but they can make memories on their own place.

I'm basing my decision on if they are hunting my fence line, thereby setting themselves up for having to track a deer on my place. A hunter that had a stand at a respectful distance (i.e. not watching my place), I would consider allowing them on my place.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Sneaky] #7014127 12/28/17 04:22 AM
S
SmallTownHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I was being facetious, guess you didn't get it

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7014154 12/28/17 04:55 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
This thread is off the rails. Funny, but off the rails.

I would let any neighbor that called ME retrieve a legally taken wounded deer that ran onto my place. I would go with him.

I’ve got news for y’all: if your neighbor is truly an idiot slob he ain’t going to call you anyway. He’s just going to go on your place and get it. Hell, he probably shot it on your place to start with. smile

And I’m not going to put up a HF and go from hunter to zookeeper just because of a bad neighbor. Bad neighbors can be dealt with - just takes time and patience.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: SmallTownHunter] #7014173 12/28/17 05:16 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I was being facetious, guess you didn't get it

So was I. I guess you didn’t get it.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7014187 12/28/17 05:39 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Bunch of crybaby arseclowns turning THF into a damn cesspool!

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7014193 12/28/17 05:43 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I wouldn't have a problem with any neighbor asking for permission. That is how it has always been done in our part of Texas.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide