418913 Topics
6071301 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#7012906 - 12/27/17 07:25 AM Allowing deer recovery
maximus_flavius Offline
Tracker

Say that your neighbor has a stand, or multiple stands, right on your fence line. Then 1 day you get a call from the GW, asking permission for the fence line hunting neighbor to recover a deer on your property.

Do you allow it?

I'm not. No way in hades. I'd allow the GW to recover, or I'd come recover myself. But if you allow a fence line hunter to shoot deer & come into your place, your only gonna get more of the same in the future. Fence line hunters obviously have no respect for others property, & by allowing them on, you've just given them the green light to hunt your place.

Of course, most fence line hunters will just hop the fence anyway, & trespass without a thought.

#7012911 - 12/27/17 07:30 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Man, you complain more about hunters than the anti-hunters do!

#7012927 - 12/27/17 07:47 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Double Naught Spy]
maximus_flavius Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Man, you complain more about hunters than the anti-hunters do!

We found our first fence line hunter.

I only complain about "hunters" that break the law or hunt in an obvious unethical fashion.

#7013020 - 12/27/17 09:11 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
Texas buckeye Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Keller
maximus if you follow these threads closely at all, you'd know DNS is a hog hunter, he doesn't hunt deer, so I don't think painting him as a fenceline hunter is legit. Most hog hunters are fenceline hunters but mainly because they walk fencelines following the hogs. He knows where his boundaries are on multiple properties and would never do something illegal or jeopardize his hog hunting by shooting illegally or at something not a hog. Bark up a different tree....

#7013035 - 12/27/17 09:22 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Here are my two cents. A lot of factors would go into it for me. Whether or not the are overhunting or not, meaning size of place relative to number of harvests and if I know they are following "brown is down" management scheme.

#7013039 - 12/27/17 09:26 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Whether or not they are shooting always during legal hours or not. If this is an "off" situation or all the time thing, recovering of deer and most of all,how they ask and act, politely or it'

#7013044 - 12/27/17 09:29 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

It is their right mentality. We have and allowed recovery before in South Texas and each occassion though infrequent, it was polite and each party clearly identified place where shot occurred and resulting blood trail into other's property.

#7013045 - 12/27/17 09:29 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
fouzman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
Very simple. If they were good neighbors they would have called the landowner, not the GW. Since they aren't good neighbors, which they have demonstrated through their stand placements, no way in he77 they're setting foot on my property. Allowing the GW to recover and then deliver to the fence hunters serves no purpose. I'd just tag the deer with one of my tags, or do whatever the GW instructed me to do, short of letting the fence hunters have that meat.

#7013048 - 12/27/17 09:29 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
Pootie Online   content
Light Foot

Loc: SE Texas
How far off the fenceline is hunting permissible?

#7013055 - 12/27/17 09:32 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
scalebuster Offline
Veteran Tracker

I can tell most of the folks on THF arenít from west Texas. This is about the most unneighborly bunch of whiners Iíve ever heard. Why would you care if someone came and got a deer they killed off of your land? No one has ever asked me but I wouldnít see any reason to deny them.

#7013061 - 12/27/17 09:35 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: scalebuster]
fouzman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I can tell most of the folks on THF arenít from west Texas. This is about the most unneighborly bunch of whiners Iíve ever heard. Why would you care if someone came and got a deer they killed off of your land? No one has ever asked me but I wouldnít see any reason to deny them.

You can tell most of the folks on THF don't have large acreage like most places in "west Texas". Are you overrun with 10-50 acre ranchettes where folks kill a deer to every .25 acres they own?

#7013108 - 12/27/17 10:06 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
Rustler Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Carrollton/ Young, Blanco coun...
It could be what I've run across over the years.
Buy a place with large neighbors in some cases only one or two neighbors surrounding property.
Over the years neighbors sell off pieces or sell the whole place & somebody else splits it in to smaller tracts.
20 years later you have 8 neighbors on one side, 4 on another and so on.
Only 1/2 those newer neighbors hunt but they're all allowed to take whatever the counties bag limit is which decreases herd numbers and increases human pressure further reducing the way hunting used to be on 'my' place.

Folks buy 20 - 60 acre places to hunt all the time, smart ones know the only way to ensure a bullet doesn't leave their small property is to use an elevated blind set up on fence line and shoot back into their own property.
As far as which way the blind is facing, all ya gotta do is ask them why it appears to be overlooking your place.

I don't like it much either, but, it sure beats the people that setup a blind nearer the center of these small tracts and shoot towards the fence lines.

#7013165 - 12/27/17 10:30 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
Texas buckeye Offline
Extreme Tracker

I said it before and I will say it again, the bow hunter on 100 acres is a set up for a deer jumping a fence. how many posts do we read every year in october about a well shot deer that ran 300-800 yards before finally expiring? Heck, I have seen a deer with a blown up heart from a gun shot run over 75 yards. There is no way to guarantee a DRT type death with anything.

By taking the mentality of the OP, we should ban bow hunting on any acreage less than 400, and gun hunting on anything less than 100 acres, as there is too much risk for deer jumping fences and stands overlooking a neighbors property. confused2

#7013175 - 12/27/17 10:34 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: scalebuster]
Texas buckeye Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

It is about a guy who doesn't like city slickers and he is expressing his views in different way s through different posts. It isn't about being neighborly, it is about being unwelcoming to city slickers.

If maximus had his way, no one from Tarrant, dallas, Collin or denton countries woud be allowed to hunt in the state of texas...not to mention bexar, Austin, and all of the Houston metro....but since he doesn't ergularly deal with those city slickers he ignores them and kindly reserves his unwelcoming nature for the DFW-ites who hunt near him and his property, overlooking and watching his every move and stealing his deer as they leap the fence hammer

#7013181 - 12/27/17 10:36 AM Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Originally Posted By: Pootie
How far off the fenceline is hunting permissible?

By law, all the way up to the legal boundary of the property (often denoted by a fence) so long as you are hunting where it is legal to be hunting (e.g., not inside the city limits) and you or your projectiles do not cross that boundary, you are hunting legally. Some people get really bent out of shape if you are hunting 100% legally on your property like that, but all they can do is cuss, whine about it, and cast dispersions.

Edited by Double Naught Spy (12/27/17 10:57 AM)

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide