Forum Stats
64146 Members
45 Forums
419785 Topics
6107300 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#7011562 - 12/25/17 10:03 PM Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

Made the decision to consolidate my safe and cull some of the rifles I'm ambivilant about.

I am keeping a .22-250 for lighter work, a ruger M77 in .270 for a "deer rifle" and my .257 wby accumark.

My domestic whitetail hunting has evolved to guiding my kids or wife, on the occasions I do go by myself I ambowhunting.

I'm looking to find a rifle they will suit my needs to the western style back country hunting I'm doing more and more. I love a good wood stock but I am hard on my rifles and feel another synthetic stock gun will be the best option for what I'm using it for.

Here is what I'm looking for and why:

Something lighter weight. Not an ultra light per say, but lighter than the 11 lb accumark I've been lugging around. This season it got heavy and after an afternoon of carrying my wife's Camilla up the same mountains I am convinced that maybe an accumark isn't a walking gun after all

Stainless steel/cerakote synthetic stock rifle. My adventures would best up a woodstocked gun. This isn't a heirloom gun it's a tool to make things fall down across a wide range of conditions.

Something in a magnum caliber, unless someone can convince me otherwise. I would like something with a bit more "pop" than my .257 wby mag. As good a caliber as it is, and I love it, after shooting a handful of animals with it I'm not entirely convinced it kills any better than my .270. Looking at a 7mm R.E.M., .300 wsm, .300 win or maybe a .26 nosler/6.5-.300 wby for this chambering.

Now for the rub......I'm left handed and I want a left handed action.

I'm a Weatherby fanatic but the only chamberings they offer in the mark V ultralight are .257, 6.5-.300 & .300 wby. Recoil is concerning me on the last two.

I've looked into Montana rifle company and they offer a nice rifle in a lefty For a reasonable price. Cooper does not have a lefty in the synthetic models from what I can find and Dakota makes one but I can't find any info on them.

If anyone has any other options or avenues I'm all ears.

Basically I'm looking for a gun I can use for elk, mule deer, mountain goat, moose, black bear and sheep.

Budget around the $2k mark or under

#7011564 - 12/25/17 10:08 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85]
bronco71 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: N. Dallas/Sulphur Bluff
With elk, bear and sheep thrown in there I would say 300 WSM

#7011571 - 12/25/17 10:14 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
$2k ?

Rebarrel a Tikka T-3 lefty into a chambering you want.

Keep the stock.
Cut rifled barrel.
Gunsmithing.
Red Snake bottom metal.
Hand load.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#7011573 - 12/25/17 10:16 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: FiremanJG]
bronco71 Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
$2k ?

Keep the stock.
Cut rifled barrel.
Gunsmithing.
Red Snake bottom metal.
Hand load.

Thread barrel, add muzzle brake, it will tame recoil a lot!

#7011576 - 12/25/17 10:20 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: bronco71]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: bronco71
$2k ?

Keep the stock.
Cut rifled barrel.
Gunsmithing.
Red Snake bottom metal.
Hand load.

Thread barrel, add muzzle brake, it will tame recoil a lot!

Harrel's Precision muzzle breaks.
Slim profiles available for slim barrels.

800 Yard Steel Range

#7011577 - 12/25/17 10:21 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: FiremanJG]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

$2k ?

Keep the stock.
Cut rifled barrel.
Gunsmithing.
Red Snake bottom metal.
Hand load.

I've seen the T3 and handled them some

What would be the benefit to me taking this route.

#7011581 - 12/25/17 10:27 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85]
bronco71 Offline
Bird Dog

My Sako TRG-S sporting profile with muzzle brake in 30-378 Weatherby Magnum kicks about like my 30-06, but it is not cut back. Very accurate.

#7011586 - 12/25/17 10:31 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Smith can get rid of the half mile of free-bore. Then you can tune bullet relation to lands, instead of being forced to sticking with mag length, no matter the jump.

The barrel quality, and the machining will far surpass the factory barrel. I can tune a hand load for a factory barrel expecting 3/4 MOA, but with the re-barrel I expect better than 1/2. You decide bullet, then decide twist rate, barrel contour, and finish length.

Run the factory trigger, and the stock DOES NOT need to be bedded. EGW makes one piece pic rails, if you are so inclined.

I'll bet you a steak dinner, if you go this route, and develop a tight hand load, it will be your favorite rig.

800 Yard Steel Range

#7011605 - 12/25/17 10:51 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85]
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: The Woodlands, Tx
I'm not sure what you mean by a 7mm R.E.M. but if you mean a 7mm Remington Magnum, then that's the way I'd go and with a rifle and scope not to exceed 8 pounds.

#7011607 - 12/25/17 10:52 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Iím a fan of the .300 in either WM or WSM for what you will be hunting with it. I agree with you on the recoil issues once you get into the .300 Wby mags - they are pretty rough in a 7-8 lb rifle. Heck, a .300 Wby Mag is rough as a cob in just about any rifle. And Iím not a recoil wuss.

My problem is Iím not up on whatís offered in a left handed rifle and what is not. Itís a shame those are your only choices in the Wby you like.

Quick searches make it clear to me that several of my candidates are not offered in a LH rifle. Looks like the choices are Tikka, Ruger, Browning, Savage, Remington, Thompson Center.

Tikka T3 is always a good option. My BIL loves his LH Tikka T3 .300 WSM. If I were a lefty Iím pretty sure thatís the rifle I would have. Iíve heard good things about the MRC rifles but have no experience with them. Iím personally not a fan of the others. I wish I were more help.

#7011609 - 12/25/17 10:55 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: FiremanJG]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

Smith can get rid of the half mile of free-bore. Then you can tune bullet relation to lands, instead of being forced to sticking with mag length, no matter the jump.

The barrel quality, and the machining will far surpass the factory barrel. I can tune a hand load for a factory barrel expecting 3/4 MOA, but with the re-barrel I expect better than 1/2. You decide bullet, then decide twist rate, barrel contour, and finish length.

Run the factory trigger, and the stock DOES NOT need to be bedded. EGW makes one piece pic rails, if you are so inclined.

I'll bet you a steak dinner, if you go this route, and develop a tight hand load, it will be your favorite rig.

How would one start this process?

I'm partial to the model 70 action that Montana uses

#7011620 - 12/25/17 11:19 PM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85]
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mineral Wells, Texas
Sako Finnlight in caliber of your choosing. Assuming they offer ghey handed version though.

#7011662 - 12/26/17 05:30 AM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

How would one start this process?

I'm partial to the model 70 action that Montana uses

Do you know what bullet you want to run?
Do you know how fast you want it to go?

Those are steps 1 and 2, build the rifle around the bullet. Once those are known then pick the appropriate twist rate. Decide how much meat you want the barrel to have. www.bugholes.com has plenty of barrels to choose from. And Greg has the manufacturers contour charts listed.

Can a LH mod 70 actions be found?

800 Yard Steel Range

#7011663 - 12/26/17 05:34 AM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85]
DLALLDER Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Pittsburg, Texas
My MRC 300WM in SS/wood is heavy to me but that may be/is due to old age. At 72 lots of my guns have gotten heavy.

#7011667 - 12/26/17 05:49 AM Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85]
scottfromdallas Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: TX
Based on your criteria, I would look at a Nosler 48 in some of the Magnum or Nosler chamberings.

https://www.nosler.com/m48-liberty-rifle/

Edit- Only the custom is available for a lefty and it's musher higher than $2,000.

Edited by scottfromdallas (12/26/17 06:09 AM)

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide