Page 1 of 2 1 2
thieves struck again in east Texas #7000553 12/18/17 01:36 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Friend of mine who hunts near New Boston had his camera, feeder, and heater out of his stand stolen sometime Thursday or Friday. He hunts on 2,000 acres with 12 other hunters and the thieves would have had to drive in on a 4 wheeler past other stands to get to his. I hate this.

Last edited by Mr. T.; 12/18/17 01:36 PM.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7000606 12/18/17 02:21 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Call GW and local police.

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7000611 12/18/17 02:25 PM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
Sounds like an inside job, or at least someone who has been on the property quite a bit. I would be real surprised that someone randomly drives out into the middle of 2,000 acres and finds a feeder and blind and steals everything out of it.

Although it reminds me of a buddy who had a stand "Stolen"

He was hunting a small property about 40 acres, set up his stand on the edge of the property at the far corner from the landowners house. Next door neighbor had a son that was a bit of a dirt bag, lot of run ins with the law, poaching, theft, dwi, MJ possession, ect..... Neighbors son was on his own property and the land owner saw the ladder stand and thought the neighbors son had placed it. He yelled at the neighbors son to stop trespassing and remove his tree stand immediately or he was calling the sheriff. Kid removed the tree stand. My buddy goes out to hunt and his tree stand is gone. Landowner is not around, but his wife is, wife knows nothing about it, says call the sheriff. Deputy shows up, knows dirt bag son lives next door because has had runs in with him before. Walks over to neighbors house, sees tree stand sitting along side carport. Arrests son for theft. It all got worked out in the end and the charges got dropped.

Last edited by VAFish; 12/18/17 02:37 PM.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7000674 12/18/17 03:05 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
This is occurring at an alarming rate in all rural areas but east Texas continues to be at the top of the list. Makes sense because of the terrain and all the people living and squatting in their shack or trailer on small properties. I would never hunt there again and certainly not leave anything of value unless I lived there or hunted on property that people lived on year round.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7000703 12/18/17 03:17 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
This is occurring at an alarming rate in all rural areas but east Texas continues to be at the top of the list. Makes sense because of the terrain and all the people living and squatting in their shack or trailer on small properties. I would never hunt there again and certainly not leave anything of value unless I lived there or hunted on property that people lived on year round.

A friend had his trailer stolen off his own place just before the start of the season. It's a problem that continues to get worse across East Texas. A large concentration of meth heads throughout that part of the state. I suspect that's who's living in his trailer now.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7000723 12/18/17 03:23 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
hanged

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7000724 12/18/17 03:23 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
East Texas is full of dirt bags.........You wouldn't catch my happy azz hunting out there............

Last edited by snake oil; 12/18/17 03:24 PM.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7000734 12/18/17 03:27 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Friend of mine who hunts near New Boston had his camera, feeder, and heater out of his stand stolen sometime Thursday or Friday. He hunts on 2,000 acres with 12 other hunters and the thieves would have had to drive in on a 4 wheeler past other stands to get to his. I hate this.

I feel for him

I've had some recent thefts and can relate

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7001454 12/18/17 10:25 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Sad, just got to know that is real problem with ETX hunting even on your own private property!

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: snake oil] #7002007 12/19/17 10:45 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: snake oil
East Texas is full of dirt bags.........You wouldn't catch my happy azz hunting out there............

Please don't paint all of East Texas as dirt bags. There are some good law abiding people that get a bad rap. Yes there are some real dirt/meth heads there also. Those of us who live in East Texas don't like them either.

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7002117 12/19/17 01:39 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I've been in Tyler, which is part of East Texas for 16 years now and I had no idea it was this bad here, or that so many people thought so poorly of this part of Texas. Who knew?

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7002208 12/19/17 02:38 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Bummer, I hope they catch the thief and your friend gets his stuff back.

texas flag

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7002218 12/19/17 02:40 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Folks aren't generally talking about small towns & mid size cities.
It is when you get into semi rural & rural parts, lots of out of town / absentee owners, lots of secluded back roads, lots of poverty & drug problems.

Of coarse, you'll always hear of the bad folks & the stuff they do and hardly ever hear about the good honest folks and the good things they do for others.

There are 'bad' areas in every county in the state.

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7002296 12/19/17 03:16 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Thieves are everywhere it's just a matter of time before they strike. My buddy has been in his neighborhood for 11 years and they finally got him. There have been some real shady characters moving into his neighborhood. Even the preacher man moved out of there. I'm driving down to install cameras for him and his neighbors this weekend at no charge. He says they are using kids as scouts to look for things to steal. Then at night they come in and snatch stuff. Going to be nice to catch some of these fools in the act.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7002318 12/19/17 03:24 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We've had a nice place in Point Blank for 40 years and no problem so far. Mom and dad are gone now so the house is empty but I have good neighbors all around so I am hopeful that my luck holds. It is real hard to find a honest handyman there though.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7002418 12/19/17 04:11 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
The wife and I are talking about selling our East Texas property because of the increased crime, poaching, and amount of lowlife scum in the area. It has gotten noticeably worst in the last 5 - 6 years or so. SO is of no help...they refused to even come out the last time we had a break-in. We have provided pictures of vehicles, with legible license plates, and pictures of the scum themselves, with clear faces, but nothing ever comes of it.

We finally had to put bars on the cabin windows, reinforced the door, and put in a cloud based security camera. Something about watching the sunrise through burglar bars takes away a lot of magic...we bough this place with the idea of retiring there, but there is no way we would do that now.

Last edited by nak; 12/19/17 04:16 PM.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7002490 12/19/17 04:55 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
This happens everywhere. We've been very lucky with no issues. Others, not so far away haven't been so lucky. Local meth dealer got busted and things have been much quieter. When she gets out of the can, I expect it to pick up again.

Last edited by Erathkid; 12/19/17 04:56 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: nak] #7002560 12/19/17 05:20 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: nak
The wife and I are talking about selling our East Texas property because of the increased crime, poaching, and amount of lowlife scum in the area. It has gotten noticeably worst in the last 5 - 6 years or so. SO is of no help...they refused to even come out the last time we had a break-in. We have provided pictures of vehicles, with legible license plates, and pictures of the scum themselves, with clear faces, but nothing ever comes of it.

We finally had to put bars on the cabin windows, reinforced the door, and put in a cloud based security camera. Something about watching the sunrise through burglar bars takes away a lot of magic...we bough this place with the idea of retiring there, but there is no way we would do that now.

Small towns everyone knows everyone, including the Sheriff. This is a problem everywhere, not getting any help because someone is related to someone, etc..

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: pigplinker] #7002630 12/19/17 05:52 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: pigplinker

Please don't paint all of East Texas as dirt bags. There are some good law abiding people that get a bad rap. Yes there are some real dirt/meth heads there also. Those of us who live in East Texas don't like them either.

I surely did not mean all of the people in east Tx, sorry if I came off that way. It just seems like they have more per capita than any other part of the state.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7002640 12/19/17 05:55 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
from my own experience, i can say that it's probably someone living close by.
if you're not living there or close by, you'll always have trespassing.
it's just a sad fact of owning property. they watch you when you come in, and
watch you when you load up and leave. the really sad part is that a lot of
people that trespass for what ever reason own more land than what they trespass
on. i guess the grass is greener and the deer are bigger etc. etc.

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: pigplinker] #7003535 12/20/17 03:35 AM
B
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

East Texas Man don't need you around anyhow!

I know allot about everything-Everything about nothing!!!!
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7003541 12/20/17 03:39 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I currently hunt east texas, near Athens. I think Athens is a nice town and am considering it for retirement.

Have not had a problem in 5 years, the neighbor had his trailer stolen earlier this year. It was a nice trailer, which I always thought he should have put it on jacks and took off wheels, axle.

You have to watch out, show up at odd times and develop relationships with neighbors and sheriff department.

With that said, all places have theft, I don't know at what rate, but its everywhere.

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7003578 12/20/17 04:05 AM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I don't have problems anymore, neighbors keep an eye out and feed cattle at different times. Word is also out that I am the crazy guy that shoots at trespassers first and then holds the survivors....this works very well, no problems in a long time! I don't know about now but years ago the sheriff and the game wardens could not be trusted anyway.

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Roll-Tide] #7003593 12/20/17 04:18 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
I currently hunt east texas, near Athens. I think Athens is a nice town and am considering it for retirement.

Have not had a problem in 5 years, the neighbor had his trailer stolen earlier this year. It was a nice trailer, which I always thought he should have put it on jacks and took off wheels, axle.

You have to watch out, show up at odd times and develop relationships with neighbors and sheriff department.

With that said, all places have theft, I don't know at what rate, but its everywhere.

If somewhere is safe you shouldn't even have to consider taking the wheels or axles off a trailer.

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7003597 12/20/17 04:20 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I met several guys through a prison outreach program and stealing from hunters/leases was their bread and butter. They know most hunters leave stuff at their leases, and are rarely there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide