Forum Stats
63759 Members
45 Forums
416645 Topics
6039801 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7002162 - 12/19/17 08:12 AM Question generated from another post?
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
In another post a hunter went on a pay hunt and shot a buck. After recovery he was told the buck scored to much and he would have to pay more. Several posters are suggesting he tell them to keep the deer and he can keep his money or they can stick to the pre agreed price because the guide said it was an acceptable deer to shoot.

What are the legal concerns about that? You shot a deer and I would think by law you are still bound to tag it and not waste the game, so you cant just leave it if the hunter/outfitter do not agree?

#7002199 - 12/19/17 08:33 AM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: redchevy]
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Undercover
Guide's responsibility to tell him the correct deer to shoot. Hunter could have called the game warden and get what he advised as far as being legal tagging wise. But, guide is there for a reason and if he did not know what he was doing, that is the outfitter's problem. Just my take.

#7002207 - 12/19/17 08:38 AM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: redchevy]
dkershen Offline

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Hunter has to tag the deer he shot. Period. Everything after that depends on the wording of the contract signed.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#7002220 - 12/19/17 08:41 AM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: dkershen]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Hunter has to tag the deer he shot. Period. Everything after that depends on the wording of the contract signed.

That's what I was thinking he would have to tag it (assuming not MLD). So then if they couldn't agree on a price what would happen? Deer is tagged as his if they cant agree on fee, then what he has to either leave it and potentially waste game? or try to take it with him, which may be interpreted as theft as he hasn't made full payment in the owners eyes?

#7002255 - 12/19/17 08:56 AM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: redchevy]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Very simple. He has to tag the deer. If they don't settle with him for the 2k that was agreed upon and refuse to let him leave with the buck that's not a wasted game violation on him. It will be on the outfitter if they let it waste. From that point forward it's a civil matter decided in the court or through arbitration.

Edited by Pitchfork Predator (12/19/17 09:07 AM)

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#7002263 - 12/19/17 08:59 AM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: redchevy]
D'hanis Offline
Woodsman

I would say you still have to tag the animal however I would not blame anyone who said "keep the deer" That is on the guide for telling him to shoot the wrong deer, not the hunter

#7003513 - 12/19/17 09:24 PM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: redchevy]
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Hunt county Texas.
Can o worms!

#7003549 - 12/19/17 09:48 PM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: Pitchfork Predator]
Simple Searcher Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Helotes, Hext
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Very simple. He has to tag the deer. If they don't settle with him for the 2k that was agreed upon and refuse to let him leave with the buck that's not a wasted game violation on him. It will be on the outfitter if they let it waste. From that point forward it's a civil matter decided in the court or through arbitration.

up

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#7003621 - 12/19/17 10:40 PM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: D'hanis]
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: D'hanis
I would say you still have to tag the animal however I would not blame anyone who said "keep the deer" That is on the guide for telling him to shoot the wrong deer, not the hunter
Agreed! And the fact that this place would take the stance they have after their guide told him to shoot it is a bunch of poop! I think the outfit should be identified so others can avoid doing business with them.

#7003670 - 12/19/17 11:43 PM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: Deerhunter61]
Sneaky Online   content
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Agreed! And the fact that this place would take the stance they have after their guide told him to shoot it is a bunch of poop! I think the outfit should be identified so others can avoid doing business with them.

They were identified, and they told their side of the story. I think it was pretty clear that the OP was full of it, and the outfitter did nothing wrong.

In this particular case, anyway.

#7003701 - 12/20/17 12:57 AM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: redchevy]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
I read the thread but I don't like the part about "probably". An attorney would chew that up. I would just get the dude out of there. Missed a buck at 80 and 100 yards??? Seriously...

#7003818 - 12/20/17 07:08 AM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: Sneaky]
kyle1974 Offline

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

They were identified, and they told their side of the story. I think it was pretty clear that the OP was full of it, and the outfitter did nothing wrong.

THat's not the way I saw it.

it was definitely different than the OP side of the story, but there were still uncertainties about what the deer would cost.

smart [censored] comments about darting a deer and scoring them on the ground are irrelevant. When you outfit hunts, and a customer asks how big a deer is, you provide the score. If you're wrong, you're wrong, but you say what it is, and what it will cost. "probably's" and "maybes" just leave room for error and misunderstandings.

#7003845 - 12/20/17 07:35 AM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: kyle1974]
Kthnx Online   content
Woodsman

Loc: Houston
Originally Posted By: kyle1974

it was definitely different than the OP side of the story, but there were still uncertainties about what the deer would cost.

smart [censored] comments about darting a deer and scoring them on the ground are irrelevant. When you outfit hunts, and a customer asks how big a deer is, you provide the score. If you're wrong, you're wrong, but you say what it is, and what it will cost. "probably's" and "maybes" just leave room for error and misunderstandings.

But isn't there something to say about him having 2 bucks to choose from 1 being an 8 that the guide told him was at the large end of being a management and then there was a 10 point that was probably bigger than what he wanted to shoot.

Was this poor language maybe. But it's much different than saying, it's probably a management. The guide said it's probably bigger than what you want.

So the guy had 2 options. 1) an 8 that he was told was a big management or 2) a 10 that was probably not a management.

He shot the one that was probably not a management and it turned out it was not a management.

#7003858 - 12/20/17 07:41 AM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: Sneaky]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county

I agree. Glad to hear from the outfitter. I don't understand why they locked that thread. confused2

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#7003865 - 12/20/17 07:45 AM Re: Question generated from another post? [Re: kyle1974]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Originally Posted By: kyle1974

It really wasnít intended to be smart - a**. Was simply addressing the fact that how else are you going to get beyond ďprobablyĒ when it comes to scoring a deer on the hoof? But Iíll admit I donít know all the customs and protocols on such a hunt - and never will because itís not my bag.
One reason: all the silly crap you get into when hunting becomes like shopping for groceries at the store - except youíre just guessing if that bag of sugar on the shelf has 4 1/2 or 5 lbs in it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide