Print Thread
Wetlands property #6999709 12/17/17 05:40 PM
E
Eastxhuntr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Anyone purchased any sort of wetlands property? Almost for the sole sake of having their own duck hunting property? Maybe ended up living there or having a camp house . Lease to farmers ? Curious about potentially making this happen for myself one day , would love to hear about any experiences y’all have had.

Re: Wetlands property [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7000132 12/18/17 01:10 AM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
One thing to consider is how many people you're talking about supplying duck hunting for and how often. If you're talking about shooting 6 ducks a few times per season then a small area close enough to a flyway might work. If you're talking about your 3 buddies hunting with you every weekend hoping to shoot limits...might be better off purchasing a small piece of land with easy water access to a big area. Aka lakefront/marshfront.

Re: Wetlands property [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7001043 12/18/17 06:43 PM
Streater Offline
Tracker
Tracker
In the early 1900s my great grandfather purchased about 15000 acres of raw marsh land in Cameron Parrish, near Lake Arthur La. it’s about 20 miles from Guydon, 30 miles south of Lake Charles. He got a better deal than The Louisiana Purchase. The intra-coastal canal cuts through a corner of the property, segregating about 200 acres. He went in on it with a buddy and set up a LLC and the stock has been passed down for a few generations.

In the late 40s my grandfather reclaimed around 5000 acres which we lease to rice and crawfish farmers. We also have a runway for planes. There are a couple producing oil wells, and we lease about 2000 acres to a couple hunters. We also have a couple trappers that lease.

In the past hundred years or so, they’ve cut in a labyrinth of canals, leveed up roads and the water level is controlled by a system of wiers. DU actually put a couple in. It was only accessible by boat till the late 60s. It doesn’t make us rich, but it pays for all the projects and upkeep. It’s my favorite place in the world. I’m blessed and grateful.

If you’re looking for something to build on and pass down for generations, this business model has been successful for us. Even with all that, we still don’t kill limits every weekend. It is HUNTING after all

Re: Wetlands property [Re: Streater] #7001054 12/18/17 06:50 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Streater
In the early 1900s my great grandfather purchased about 15000 acres of raw marsh land in Cameron Parrish, near Lake Arthur La. it’s about 20 miles from Guydon, 30 miles south of Lake Charles. He got a better deal than The Louisiana Purchase. The intra-coastal canal cuts through a corner of the property, segregating about 200 acres. He went in on it with a buddy and set up a LLC and the stock has been passed down for a few generations.

In the late 40s my grandfather reclaimed around 5000 acres which we lease to rice and crawfish farmers. We also have a runway for planes. There are a couple producing oil wells, and we lease about 2000 acres to a couple hunters. We also have a couple trappers that lease.

In the past hundred years or so, they’ve cut in a labyrinth of canals, leveed up roads and the water level is controlled by a system of wiers. DU actually put a couple in. It was only accessible by boat till the late 60s. It doesn’t make us rich, but it pays for all the projects and upkeep. It’s my favorite place in the world. I’m blessed and grateful.

If you’re looking for something to build on and pass down for generations, this business model has been successful for us. Even with all that, we still don’t kill limits every weekend. It is HUNTING after all

Sounds like Heaven for sure!
Congrats!

Re: Wetlands property [Re: DUKFVR] #7001291 12/18/17 08:59 PM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: DUKFVR

Sounds like Heaven for sure!
Congrats!

aim
It sure is a HEAVEN buddy.

Re: Wetlands property [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7001394 12/18/17 09:56 PM
B
bentman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
10 yrs ago I bought 205ac for duck and dove hunting. I have 6 tanks to hunt the duck hunting is really good. I trade farming and grazing on my place for hunting rights on the place next to me, he has another 6 tanks to hunt. In the past 5 yrs I have leased another 12 tanks that are pretty close to me. Its cool to watch the expressions on guys faces when they see how many ducks are in west central Tx.

If it bleeds I can KILL IT
Re: Wetlands property [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7001757 12/19/17 02:36 AM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
All depends on what youre wanting out of the hunting. have purchased several places in the last few years for duck hunting mainly. Like anything else, there are pros and cons, but in the long run I think you are much better off purchasing. To me in the beginning, it wasn't much of a decision to make. What I was paying for good annual leases, I put together and almost made a full year of land notes. But, had to put down some hefty down payments to get that started. Don't get as many good hunts, but it is still good. When leasing, I had places scattered in different areas.(all about 3 hours apart) some years some would be better than others of course. When purchasing just one, what you get is what you got. From a money standpoint I think that it is a good decision, as land value anywhere in TX near a population of people is rising at an unbelievable rate(even less desirable river/creek bottom). Your money is doing more for you than just getting you a place to hunt. You don't have to buy a lot of acres, just the "right" acres. So far, my most productive purchase for ducks was the smallest tract that was turned into GTR.

Re: Wetlands property [Re: Streater] #7002118 12/19/17 01:42 PM
E
Eastxhuntr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Really good stuff guys ,

Sooooo yea that’s sounds ideal. I’ll always have my eye out . The dream is real.

Re: Wetlands property [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7002219 12/19/17 02:40 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Where are you looking at buying property? Within an hour of Houston or does it matter?

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Wetlands property [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7002992 12/19/17 09:03 PM
E
Eastxhuntr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Doesn’t really matter .

Re: Wetlands property [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7003053 12/19/17 09:46 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
You don't need a ton of property to kill birds. Start looking for land adjacent to refuges or areas that historically hold lots of birds. We have a neighbor to our property south of Winnie off Whites Ranch Road that has a 40 acre reservoir and does as well as anyone down there. He got some food source established in there, barnyard grass or some other type of millet and all he does is draw down in the spring and fill it up in the fall. Land in that area goes for $1000-$2000 acre.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Wetlands property [Re: Eastxhuntr] #7003082 12/19/17 10:01 PM
B
BallerCaller Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
My wife and I recently moved to 15 acres. There is a 2.5 acre lake on the back of the property that I converted into a bass/duck haven. The little lake has a slough that runs behind an island and the different levels of water helps hold ducks depending if it is a dry season or wet season. It also has a half acre pond in the front that I use for fish management. The place sits between two valleys and the Brazos river is only a mile away. Sometimes it does not require a ton of land to get consistent good duck hunting. This season being a little drier and the other ponds in the area not holding much water, divers and puddlers have really been using that back little lake and providing good hunting all season.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide