Forums46
Topics537,816
Posts9,729,466
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Roll-Tide] #7003599 12/20/17 04:20 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
I currently hunt east texas, near Athens. I think Athens is a nice town and am considering it for retirement.

Have not had a problem in 5 years, the neighbor had his trailer stolen earlier this year. It was a nice trailer, which I always thought he should have put it on jacks and took off wheels, axle.

You have to watch out, show up at odd times and develop relationships with neighbors and sheriff department.

With that said, all places have theft, I don't know at what rate, but its everywhere.

It is everywhere, not just E Texas. I've been robbed several times near the border and it wasn't illegals. Had my camp stripped clean, even my BBQ pit/chairs/tables everything. The land owners always blame the illegals. Not my first rodeo so couldn't help but laugh and call them out as the liars they were. They were even more surprised when I spoke Spanish to them....and called them out. It's not an East Texas thing, it's a thief & liar thing and they are everywhere.

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7004080 12/20/17 03:41 PM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
My wife's parents were from New Boston, and still has many kin there. The meth problem is horrific, it has ruined many of their friends lives and some family members. ,

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: fmrmbmlm] #7004152 12/20/17 04:06 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: fmrmbmlm
My wife's parents were from New Boston, and still has many kin there. The meth problem is horrific, it has ruined many of their friends lives and some family members. ,

I just moved here 4 months ago and that is what I am hearing. That the meth problem is out of hand. Was told this by another hunter and I have no reason to not believe it, that the GW said he has not looked into a game violation in a long time because he is working nothing but meth problems with other law enforcement.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7004269 12/20/17 05:14 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I have mentioned before in other threads, but the exact reason I decided against buying in Oklahoma when we were searching for property. Like east Texas, even rural areas are pretty densely populated, high poverty, and significant drug abuse, specifically meth. Several years ago on a lease in OK we were CLEANED OUT the week following season end. They took everything that wasn't bolted down - and worst part, they got into ranch house and barns as well.

Not sure, but suspect, in east Texas it may be a lot like eastern Oklahoma, this is not just kids or random thievery by druggies, but organized gangs of thieves who make their living on burglary, theft, drug sales, etc. The SO seemed to know who had robbed us, but kind of shrugged their shoulders and said not much they can do without catching them in the act.

Last edited by Dalroo; 12/20/17 05:15 PM.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Dalroo] #7004383 12/20/17 06:41 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Dalroo
. . . .The SO seemed to know who had robbed us, but kind of shrugged their shoulders and said not much they can do without catching them in the act.

Probably the most important thing of all, they have to WANT to catch them.

I could write an essay of several pages on this, but not much point in it

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7004700 12/20/17 10:37 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Originally Posted By: fmrmbmlm

I just moved here 4 months ago and that is what I am hearing. That the meth problem is out of hand. Was told this by another hunter and I have no reason to not believe it, that the GW said he has not looked into a game violation in a long time because he is working nothing but meth problems with other law enforcement.

Would you rather have stayed in west Texas? Buddy on my lease is buying a place out east but he isn't sure of neighbors and it is just for recreation. We have had zero issues at our lease out west in over 15 years. Our camp is 1.5 miles behind a gate. No way could I handle east now I am afraid. Plus I love dove and turkeys.

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Mr. T.] #7005058 12/21/17 03:04 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
My wife and I just sold our home after 10 years in Bastrop, to get away from California and Austin moving in and bringing their ideas with them.

Renting right now, but we just made and offer on a place in Henderson County near Eustace. Seems like a bunch of good down-home folks who watch out for each other.

The meth problem is everywhere - big time in Austin too.

Last edited by Marc in Bastrop; 12/21/17 03:28 AM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: Marc K] #7006875 12/22/17 02:13 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Marc in Bastrop
My wife and I just sold our home after 10 years in Bastrop, to get away from California and Austin moving in and bringing their ideas with them.

Renting right now, but we just made and offer on a place in Henderson County near Eustace. Seems like a bunch of good down-home folks who watch out for each other.

The meth problem is everywhere - big time in Austin too.
You do know that they call it "speeder creek lake", don't you? Tawakoni is the same way

Last edited by Erathkid; 12/22/17 02:13 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: snake oil] #7008366 12/23/17 09:41 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: snake oil
Originally Posted By: pigplinker
Originally Posted By: snake oil
East Texas is full of dirt bags.........You wouldn't catch my happy azz hunting out there............

Please don't paint all of East Texas as dirt bags. There are some good law abiding people that get a bad rap. Yes there are some real dirt/meth heads there also. Those of us who live in East Texas don't like them either.

I surely did not mean all of the people in east Tx, sorry if I came off that way. It just seems like they have more per capita than any other part of the state.

I can agree the per capita rate may be true. We have plenty of meth heads that cause untold amount of damage and loss to honest working people. up

Re: thieves struck again in east Texas [Re: maximum] #7009591 12/24/17 09:43 AM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: maximum
Originally Posted By: Dalroo
. . . .The SO seemed to know who had robbed us, but kind of shrugged their shoulders and said not much they can do without catching them in the act.

Probably the most important thing of all, they have to WANT to catch them.

I could write an essay of several pages on this, but not much point in it

I’d like to hear your opinion. It could shed light on a perspective that’s enlightening.

Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide