Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ever get scared [Re: 603Country] #7006454 12/22/17 03:35 AM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I was attacked by a hefty black bear late one evening long ago at Skilak Lake up in Alaska. It was supposed to be a late season fishing trip, and I arrived at the launch/campground by myself and started setting up camp. My buddy was to arrive later that night, and the next day we were going up river. I had the campground to myself; this late in the summer very few folks were out fishing. Shame, too, because late season is great for rainbows and silvers. Because it was bear country, I always wore my Super Blackhawk in a shoulder holster. This evening it was cool but not frosty, clear skies light breeze. Perfect night for a campfire while waiting for Charlie to show up. So I gathered some firewood, then pulled my old camp grill out of its plastic trash bag. I go over to the fire pit and crouch down to start a fire. About then I hear a slight rustling behind me and BAM! The breeze had filled that Hefty Trash Bag and rolled it into my back! I nearly filled that bag with .44's.

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Ever get scared [Re: SapperTitan] #7006633 12/22/17 08:42 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
My goal is to be the thing other things are scared of in the dark

Roger that.

Re: Ever get scared [Re: Duxslayer] #7006813 12/22/17 01:48 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
No. I predator hunt at night a decent amount. Never been scared. Now my buddies up in the high rack might be if I’m driving.

Re: Ever get scared [Re: Duxslayer] #7006874 12/22/17 02:12 PM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
yep..
climbed into my tree stand in the only oak tree around for miles on our place. it was a hang on and he seat folded up against tree trunk to get in easier. i climbed the climbing sticks and reached up and un did the seat it was right at eye level and i was 15 feet off the ground holding on with one hand when a huge mean vicious rabid fanged squirrel that was sleeping in the folded up seat decided to wake up and flee. it attacked my head and face and scratched the hell outta me but i didnt fall thank GOD..

I did scream like a little girl though

Re: Ever get scared [Re: Duxslayer] #7006911 12/22/17 02:27 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Like Sapper said I am carrying a gun when out hunting at night. I have hunted in the middle of nowhere knowing that if something happens it will be a few days or so before anybody even knows there is a problem. But the anticipation of a exciting fun adventure outweighs the thoughts of something bad happening. I enjoy being out by myself at night hunting.
You know the BoogyMan looks under his bed to make sure I am not there......

Last edited by DStroud; 12/22/17 02:29 PM.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Ever get scared [Re: Duxslayer] #7014499 12/28/17 04:01 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Couple of times I have been "highly concerned"...

Bowhunting in Northeast Oklahoma...buddy and I climbing the mountain before daylight...almost stepped on a cow elk in the dark (no flashlights, we knew where we were going)...We may or may not have thrown bows and stands and ran for our lives when she crashed through the woods...

Have stepped in a few quail coveys in the dark over the years. So far my heart has held out.

Almost bumped into a thigh-high hog one night walking back to my ATV. Had my T/C .44 Mag on me...but not loaded. Didn't make that mistake again.

Shot a wide 8 point 30 minutes before dark in central Arkansas. Was several miles up a forest service road and had to call buddies to bring the game hauler. Sat in the dark and listened to a bear grumbling and rolling rocks right down the hill from me. Back to a tree with my rifle loaded. Was happy to see lights coming up the road.

Re: Ever get scared [Re: Dennis in Ft Worth] #7014868 12/28/17 09:40 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth
I was attacked by a hefty black bear late one evening long ago at Skilak Lake up in Alaska. It was supposed to be a late season fishing trip, and I arrived at the launch/campground by myself and started setting up camp. My buddy was to arrive later that night, and the next day we were going up river. I had the campground to myself; this late in the summer very few folks were out fishing. Shame, too, because late season is great for rainbows and silvers. Because it was bear country, I always wore my Super Blackhawk in a shoulder holster. This evening it was cool but not frosty, clear skies light breeze. Perfect night for a campfire while waiting for Charlie to show up. So I gathered some firewood, then pulled my old camp grill out of its plastic trash bag. I go over to the fire pit and crouch down to start a fire. About then I hear a slight rustling behind me and BAM! The breeze had filled that Hefty Trash Bag and rolled it into my back! I nearly filled that bag with .44's.

That's a good one!

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Ever get scared [Re: Duxslayer] #7016508 12/30/17 03:55 AM
G
GrandmasterB Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Ive been creeped out more than once. Feeling that sudden chill and swearing that a shadow passed by!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide