6115989 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6999506 - 12/17/17 09:12 AM Is It Just Me
DQ Kid Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Or does it seem like more quality harvests over quantity is being posted in THF this season? Seems like many more harvest posts in prior seasons though maybe quality higher this season. Could this be the result of droughts in prior 3 out of 5 seasons? What say the forum?

#6999519 - 12/17/17 09:25 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Honestly?

I think comments from some on anything less than big bucks (“Nice cull”, “Should have given him another year”, etc.) are starting to keep many from posting their buck pics on here. Kids are an exception.

I could be wrong though. It has been a good year in my neck of the woods for overall quality. I don’t have a theory on the reason.

#6999532 - 12/17/17 09:30 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
I think NP is on to something

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6999539 - 12/17/17 09:36 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
procraft05 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: South/West Wise Co
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Honestly?

I think comments from some on anything less than big bucks (“Nice cull”, “Should have given him another year”, etc.) are starting to keep many from posting their buck pics on here. Kids are an exception.

I could be wrong though. It has been a good year in my neck of the woods for overall quality. I don’t have a theory on the reason.

I believe that.

#6999555 - 12/17/17 09:48 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid]
Grizz Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Granbury, TX
I think that's definitely part of it. I saw this online a while back and it illustrates it perfectly.

#6999575 - 12/17/17 10:19 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid]
DQ Kid Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Agree, also sounds like less shooters being seen this year at least in NW Texas. Lots of natural food sources this season unlike prior dry seasons.

#6999586 - 12/17/17 10:41 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Honestly?

Might as well add the HF, caliber, gun vs bow, age, etc. Hunters negativity against others because someone doesn’t do it “their way” has grown and created a divisive and more negativity than anything.

If someone shoots a deer and post it, I assume they are proud of it and everyone else should be proud for them or keep their mouth shut. On here, if I see comments degrading another’s deer, it will be removed but can’t catch them all and can’t do anything about the negativity on discussion threads that cause the same issue and have the same result. Is just part of the hunting community now.

For me, I don’t care what others say. Like my Mule deer this year, I was proud of him but had three buddies tell me they wouldn’t have shot that deer because of his fronts. Their choice and didn’t bother me a bit.

As far as the OP, I have seen “better” deer posted but agree that overall number of mature deer being seen is down. I don’t believe the numbers are down, just more groceries and better range conditions.

#6999601 - 12/17/17 10:53 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid]
kry226 Online   content

Loc: Germany
I know on my place in the Panhandle, we have great "numbers" of young deer, but mature bucks were nowhere to be found. I thought we'd be a little farther along in recovery from the drought, but it looks like a couple more years before we're going to see mature bucks in good numbers.

That's not to discount anything said above, because I definitely agree, but there is something to do with the drought going on as well. Bet that.

#6999604 - 12/17/17 10:57 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: kry226]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Originally Posted By: kry226
I know on my place in the Panhandle, we have great "numbers" of young deer, but mature bucks were nowhere to be found. I thought we'd be a little farther along in recovery from the drought, but it looks like a couple more years before we're going to see mature bucks in good numbers.

That's not to discount anything said above, because I definitely agree, but there is something to do with the drought going on as well. Bet that.

Our place is still missing the age group from the drought 5-6 years ago and I assume most of Texas is too. We have had good range conditions and fawn crops since then. I am surprised in the fawn crop this year, as I expected it to be much higher do to range conditions and herd health, but we aren’t seeing it.

#6999623 - 12/17/17 11:09 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: txshntr]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Honestly?

Might as well add the HF, caliber, gun vs bow, age, etc. Hunters negativity against others because someone doesn’t do it “their way” has grown and created a divisive and more negativity than anything.

If someone shoots a deer and post it, I assume they are proud of it and everyone else should be proud for them or keep their mouth shut. On here, if I see comments degrading another’s deer, it will be removed but can’t catch them all and can’t do anything about the negativity on discussion threads that cause the same issue and have the same result. Is just part of the hunting community now.

For me, I don’t care what others say. Like my Mule deer this year, I was proud of him but had three buddies tell me they wouldn’t have shot that deer because of his fronts. Their choice and didn’t bother me a bit.

As far as the OP, I have seen “better” deer posted but agree that overall number of mature deer being seen is down. I don’t believe the numbers are down, just more groceries and better range conditions.

Big difference between debating issues related to hunting in the abstract and directing dissing someone.

I don’t see debate/differences in opinion as “negativity”. Unless one is sensitive to the point that only their opinion counts or so shy that they are willing to let others drive the train (even if it’s over a cliff). Hunters have debated means and methods since sport hunting began. Attitudes evolve. It’s why night hunting prohibitions, bag limits, minimum caliber laws, seasons, ARs, etc. exist - when there used to be no rules.

Debates over what constitutes fair chase, long-range hunting, how we present ourselves via the media, and a host of other topics are ongoing in the hunting community among serious people genuinely concerned about making sure hunting continues. IMO that’s a good thing - much better than keeping one’s mouth shut and letting the Keith Warrens of the world take over the narrative. Fighting for what’s right is always “divisive”. Nothing good is ever accomplished or nothing bad is ever stopped without some seeing it as “divisive”.

But, carry on....

#6999625 - 12/17/17 11:11 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: txshntr]
DQ Kid Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Honestly?

Agree, don't recall you trying to pass off your Muley as the next Booner, just one you had harvested.

#6999634 - 12/17/17 11:15 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Honestly?

Big difference between debating issues related to hunting in the abstract and directing dissing someone.

I don’t see debate/differences in opinion as “negativity”. Unless one is sensitive to the point that only their opinion counts or so shy that they are willing to let others drive the train (even if it’s over a cliff). Hunters have debated means and methods since sport hunting began. Attitudes evolve. It’s why night hunting prohibitions, bag limits, minimum caliber laws, seasons, ARs, etc. exist - when there used to be no rules.

Debates over what constitutes fair chase, long-range hunting, how we present ourselves via the media, and a host of other topics are ongoing in the hunting community among serious people genuinely concerned about making sure hunting continues. IMO that’s a good thing - much better than keeping one’s mouth shut and letting the Keith Warrens of the world take over the narrative. Fighting for what’s right is always “divisive”. Nothing good is ever accomplished or nothing bad is ever stopped without some seeing it as “divisive”.

But, carry on....

Have no issue with debates as is evident on how many I am involved in. It is the way they are presented and how the people handle themselves in them. Attacks are not debates. And yes, some people are overly sensitive and think everything is directed at them.

#6999638 - 12/17/17 11:17 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

Agree, don't recall you trying to pass off your Muley as the next Booner, just one you had harvested.

Theys didn’t do it as an attack or to be mean, it was just in conversation. Everyone has a style that they like or attributes that they are more inclined to look for.

#6999648 - 12/17/17 11:20 AM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: txshntr]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Honestly?

But, carry on....

Have no issue with debates as is evident on how many I am involved in. It is the way they are presented and how the people handle themselves in them. Attacks are not debates. And yes, some people are overly sensitive and think everything is directed at them.

Yes they are.

And, sometimes, they are right because, sometimes, folks are just jerks. When the comments turn from the abstract to dissing someone’s personal hunt/experience/profession/etc. it’s easy to see.

#7000008 - 12/17/17 05:11 PM Re: Is It Just Me [Re: DQ Kid]
TexasWITETALE Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Garland, TX
I can personally attest to this line of thought. As my post count suggests, I do much more reading than posting and this is for different reasons on different topics. As for harvest pics, I hunt Northeast TX and killed the biggest deer of my life that scored about 135. He was 3.5 or 4.5 years old and I used a gun. This would not be a trophy to many but I was blessed to have the opportunity and to have my 11 year old son in the stand with me. I have absolutely no desire to show him on the forum for the exact reasons mentioned. I am not sensitive and do not care how anyone chooses to hunt but I refuse to be the catalyst for the elitist that take every opportunity to "teach" everyone else what is "right."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide