Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,454
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: ntxtrapper] #6999411 12/17/17 01:41 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper

More hype to sell his pistol. Total BS story about the homeland security need. bs

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6999456 12/17/17 02:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I call bs on that video. I would have to be there in person and see it to believe it. And there is no way he figured out the hold in two shots if he did really do it.

bs

What we didn't see was that optic zeroed for that distance.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: therancher] #6999458 12/17/17 02:25 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by therancher
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Here is the Miculek video. He doesn't exactly hit the balloon, but he hits the steel just fine and the bullet splatters, popping the balloon. Yes, a person can shoot 600 yards with a pistol and yes the target can be seen at that distance, ideally not a brown deer in brown grass, but with the right conditions, sure.

I have shot silhouettes at 600 yards with an Eotech holosight. It was with a rifle, but I could see the targets to shoot them. You don't need 20/15 vision. You just need decent contrast of the target from the background.

So, the possibility is certainly there.

Great. I'll provide the .44 magnum and six rounds. You shoot at a mule deer sized target and if you hit it twice you can name your $. I get to name mine if you don't.

Careful with that. You didn't put a limitation on sights, err optic.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: J.G.] #6999610 12/17/17 05:01 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Here is the Miculek video. He doesn't exactly hit the balloon, but he hits the steel just fine and the bullet splatters, popping the balloon. Yes, a person can shoot 600 yards with a pistol and yes the target can be seen at that distance, ideally not a brown deer in brown grass, but with the right conditions, sure.

I have shot silhouettes at 600 yards with an Eotech holosight. It was with a rifle, but I could see the targets to shoot them. You don't need 20/15 vision. You just need decent contrast of the target from the background.

Great. I'll provide the .44 magnum and six rounds. You shoot at a mule deer sized target and if you hit it twice you can name your $. I get to name mine if you don't.

Is it possible? Of course. Does a person exist that can do it freehand, 2 in a row out of 6 shots with any optic??? Not without lottery winner luck.

In the world of probabilities I feel real comfy with that bet.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: therancher] #6999639 12/17/17 05:17 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Is it possible? Of course. Does a person exist that can do it freehand, 2 in a row out of 6 shots with any optic??? Not without lottery winner luck.

I still don’t believe he did it.

But the flaw with your “bet” is you’re challenging some THF guy to replicate what one of the best pistoleros that ever lived (allegedly) did.

Kinda like betting folks can’t run a 4 minute mile or beat Jordan Spieth in a golf match. No real shocker that no one will take that bet.

So there’s no real point being made by your “bet” challenge.

Carry on.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6999677 12/17/17 05:31 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Not really. I don't believe anyone can take six rounds and freehand two into a mule deer sized target from a distance of 600 yds, without lottery luck.

If they want to hire a pistolero it's fine with me. Still comfy with my odds.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6999683 12/17/17 05:33 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

More hype to sell his pistol. Total BS story about the homeland security need. bs

The hype was great entertainment to me. I can't fathom people falling for that nonsense. But I'm thrilled that they do.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: huntwest] #6999824 12/17/17 07:07 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: huntwest
Elmer Keith shot 10,000s of rounds through a 44mag.
Bob Munden has done the 600yard shot with a 44mag an a ballon many times at shooting expos.
It seems impossible but it is not. Also not very ethical since the velocity and pounds of energy at that range would be pretty low.

So you think he did it?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: therancher] #6999833 12/17/17 07:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: therancher

I'm not confident enough to take any bet on it, but I sure would like to try it.

Now to find someone with the pistol...

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: J.G.] #6999967 12/17/17 10:23 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I'm not confident enough to take any bet on it, but I sure would like to try it.

Oh we can set it up. I’ll even let you use my Henry 44 mag rifle. Freehand any optic you want. But I won’t open end bet with a rifle. We’ll bet a bottle of our favorite scotch and talk nine kinds of sh#* about the rest of the forum.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: therancher] #6999998 12/17/17 11:02 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

The hype was great entertainment to me. I can't fathom people falling for that nonsense. But I'm thrilled that they do.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/10...tols-allegedly/

And the funniest comment after the article is..."So he finally demonstrates that it can be done in front of a crowd of well established people in the community, yet the Tier 1 armchair operators are still claiming foul".

Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: therancher] #7000000 12/17/17 11:03 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Oh we can set it up. I’ll even let you use my Henry 44 mag rifle. Freehand any optic you want. But I won’t open end bet with a rifle. We’ll bet a bottle of our favorite scotch and talk nine kinds of sh#* about the rest of the forum.

Now, I could do that. But I'm bringing the ammo, and someone's bottle is getting opened when the shooting is over. grin

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: ntxtrapper] #7000384 12/18/17 04:57 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/10...tols-allegedly/

And the funniest comment after the article is..."So he finally demonstrates that it can be done in front of a crowd of well established people in the community, yet the Tier 1 armchair operators are still claiming foul".

I guess you missed this?

" If Karl can shoot his .45 accurately at 600 yards without aiming it at the moon you can read this entire press release. Pictures of the blessed event? Video? Independent scientific adjudication. Uh no."

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: txtrophy85] #7000588 12/18/17 02:05 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
popcorn

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: Age N Score ?] #7000605 12/18/17 02:20 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I read Elmer's book Hell I was There. It was entertaining and the man did a lot for the progression of handguns but reading between the lines on his writing...he was full of himself! He was hyperbol and self promoting before the internet was conceived. He could shoot but have suspicion his accomplishments may have been blown up since very little photo/video proof. I don't believe everything in print or internet I will take it in and call it entertainment, Elmer could write and do that for fact.

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: txtrophy85] #7000897 12/18/17 05:16 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I believe I watched Bob Mundon Shoot a balloon at 500 yards with a 44 mag revolver iron sight on American shooter tv show I think years ago. It took him a few shots to hit it, but he did.

He also did crazy stuff like shooting Asprin at 100 yards or splitting playing cards etc. Byron Ferguson shot two clay pigeons out of the air with a long bow shooting two arrows at the same time. If Jo Blow at work or school or the lease told me they did it I would probably say yeah right, but there are some people with a talent/skill that so far surpasses what the average joe can do it is unbelievable.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: redchevy] #7001023 12/18/17 06:33 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I believe I watched Bob Mundon Shoot a balloon at 500 yards with a 44 mag revolver iron sight on American shooter tv show I think years ago. It took him a few shots to hit it, but he did.

He also did crazy stuff like shooting Asprin at 100 yards or splitting playing cards etc. Byron Ferguson shot two clay pigeons out of the air with a long bow shooting two arrows at the same time. If Jo Blow at work or school or the lease told me they did it I would probably say yeah right, but there are some people with a talent/skill that so far surpasses what the average joe can do it is unbelievable.

I can guarantee that the guy shooting the .45 couldn’t see the target with those sights. How can you hit a target you can’t see?

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: therancher] #7001050 12/18/17 06:48 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I can guarantee that the guy shooting the .45 couldn’t see the target with those sights. How can you hit a target you can’t see?

What guy with a 45? If you can see it with your eyes you can see it with iron sights no? I would assume they just pick a hold such that the ramp/blade don't obscure the target. I don't know, I don't shoot 500 yards with my rifle much less a revolver, but that doesn't mean there are not people who could do it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: txtrophy85] #7001064 12/18/17 06:54 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
We have plinked with my Glock 10mm at 100 and 200 yards. I can get a few hits at 200 yards also with a factory Glock. With a few mods, and the right ammo, going past 200 would certainly be doable. IIRC, Keith used a 250 hard cast bullet going pretty fast in his 44 mag. There was some "debate" over this shot and topic. But I do believe it's possible, and with a little practice, I think repeatable.

During a Tiger Valley sniper comp, I hit a 4" pepper popper plate at a lasered 139 yards with a G35 in 40 cal. I hit it on the 3rd shot. And yes, it was on video. The 1st shot went low and I made my adjustment up. The 2nd shot went just left of the plate and the 3rd shot dropped the plate. All 3 shots were shot slow fire, and I could see my impacts in the berm behind to know where to make my sight correction. With a little Kentucky windage, you can get some longer range shots with a pistol if you practice some doing it. (Why did I use my pistol, well, I ran out of rifle ammo!)

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: txtrophy85] #7001074 12/18/17 07:00 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Far shots with irons, on a pistol trick.

Keep the front post on the target (unless you need a wind correction) drop the rear sight down to create elevation.

100 yards with my 5" 1911 is very fun, and repeatable.

But 100 sure aint 600...

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: J.G.] #7001114 12/18/17 07:25 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Far shots with irons, on a pistol trick.

Keep the front post on the target (unless you need a wind correction) drop the rear sight down to create elevation.

100 yards with my 5" 1911 is very fun, and repeatable.

But 100 sure aint 600...

Yep I’ve seen people shoot 100 yds. But you can’t “hold the front post on a target” you can’t see. And a front post on a .45 will completely block a 600 yd target unless it’s 9’x9’.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: redchevy] #7001121 12/18/17 07:28 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

What guy with a 45? If you can see it with your eyes you can see it with iron sights no? I would assume they just pick a hold such that the ramp/blade don't obscure the target. I don't know, I don't shoot 500 yards with my rifle much less a revolver, but that doesn't mean there are not people who could do it.

The second video is a knucklehead selling a .45 pistol by lying about a shot. You can’t put a .45 front post on a target you can’t see.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: ChadTRG42] #7001134 12/18/17 07:32 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
We have plinked with my Glock 10mm at 100 and 200 yards. I can get a few hits at 200 yards also with a factory Glock. With a few mods, and the right ammo, going past 200 would certainly be doable. IIRC, Keith used a 250 hard cast bullet going pretty fast in his 44 mag. There was some "debate" over this shot and topic. But I do believe it's possible, and with a little practice, I think repeatable.

During a Tiger Valley sniper comp, I hit a 4" pepper popper plate at a lasered 139 yards with a G35 in 40 cal. I hit it on the 3rd shot. And yes, it was on video. The 1st shot went low and I made my adjustment up. The 2nd shot went just left of the plate and the 3rd shot dropped the plate. All 3 shots were shot slow fire, and I could see my impacts in the berm behind to know where to make my sight correction. With a little Kentucky windage, you can get some longer range shots with a pistol if you practice some doing it. (Why did I use my pistol, well, I ran out of rifle ammo!)

We aren’t talking about 139 or 200 yds. The extrapolation of ballistics, performance and difficulty from 200 to 600 with low velocity/energy pistol rounds is way too great to hit 2 in a row out of 6.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: therancher] #7001141 12/18/17 07:34 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

The second video is a knucklehead selling a .45 pistol by lying about a shot. You can’t put a .45 front post on a target you can’t see.

Well I don't know why your quoting my post talking about that I haven't watched whatever movie with a 45 and am not commenting on it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Friday nite discussion - do you think [Re: redchevy] #7001157 12/18/17 07:43 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Pretty easy. Because you asked “what guy with a .45”.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide