Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Birddog4570, Robert Scharfschwerdt, Littlebillyboy, CircleBOutfitters, andy52887
64038 Registered Users
Top Posters
dogcatcher 89032
stxranchman 53348
bill oxner 48387
RKHarm24 44577
rifleman 44396
BOBO the Clown 43836
BMD 40968
SnakeWrangler 37929
Big Orn 37484
txshntr 35334
facebook
Forum Stats
64038 Members
45 Forums
421246 Topics
6102731 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6994340 - 12/13/17 05:12 AM I think duck season should open in December in Texas
Bluesea112 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: West, TX
I don't think you could find a single person who would disagree that the first split of duck season sucks in Texas. The birds seem to migrate later and later each year, and we don't see them until the second half of the season is almost over.

According to International Treaty, we get 60 days to hunt ducks. I don't think it says which 60 days we can hunt them. I think TPWD needs to start duck season in December next year to match the later migration pattern we are seeing due to global warming.

Am I alone in wanting to start duck season in December, or do we have enough for a revolution?

#6994345 - 12/13/17 05:40 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112]
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Uranus
They should open dec 1 till febr 28 with a split dec 24-31
Feb 15 - 28 male ducks only.

#globalwarming
#nofakenews

#6994392 - 12/13/17 06:26 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112]
DUKFVR Offline
Woodsman

I've had a great 1st split. No complaints here.

#6994431 - 12/13/17 07:06 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: beaversnipe]
Greekangler Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: North Tejas
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
They should open dec 1 till febr 28 with a split dec 24-31
Feb 15 - 28 male ducks only.

#globalwarming
#nofakenews

Male ducks only- you know that would work.............NOT

Take a kid Huntin

#6994439 - 12/13/17 07:10 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112]
Greekangler Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: North Tejas
Originally Posted By: Bluesea112
I don't think you could find a single person who would disagree that the first split of duck season sucks in Texas. The birds seem to migrate later and later each year, and we don't see them until the second half of the season is almost over.

According to International Treaty, we get 60 days to hunt ducks. I don't think it says which 60 days we can hunt them. I think TPWD needs to start duck season in December next year to match the later migration pattern we are seeing due to global warming.

Am I alone in wanting to start duck season in December, or do we have enough for a revolution?

Itís called hunting not killing some years are better some are worst.

We were up over 100 percent vs last year. I disagree. Itís a federal mandate to close by the end of January bird start pairing up then all they could do is basically eliminate the five day split open five days later

Edited by Greekangler (12/13/17 07:11 AM)

Take a kid Huntin

#6994441 - 12/13/17 07:10 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112]
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: beaumont

Where do you hunt?

#6994481 - 12/13/17 07:39 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112]
WreakinHavoc Offline
Woodsman

I disagree with you, the first split was jam up for us and a lot of others that I know of...
Definitely should not be changed... then hunting would be to easy for a lot of people.

Edited by WreakinHavoc (12/13/17 07:40 AM)

#6994625 - 12/13/17 09:13 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112]
Avian Assassins Offline
Outdoorsman

I'm also going to have to respectfully disagree. We had an incredible first split. Some years are obviously better than others but this one was a little better than last years which was our 2nd best season to date. I think that they have got the season dates nailed down pretty good personally. Love the mid November start.

#6994653 - 12/13/17 09:39 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112]
ducknbass Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

As a general rule every year it's one of many things.
Too hot
Too cold
Too wet
Too dry
Too early
Too late

Just go find em.

Edited by ducknbass (12/13/17 10:05 AM)

#6994657 - 12/13/17 09:41 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112]
Yetiguy Offline
Light Foot

Global warming...gimme a break. Somebody has been drinking the Hollywood, Liberal Kool-aid.

#6994667 - 12/13/17 09:52 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112]
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Uranus
set aside politics, yes, I think our planet is warming up pretty fast the last 50 years, its definitely not cooling.
2cents 2cents

#6994681 - 12/13/17 10:01 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112]
RiverRunner Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Texas

First, according to International Treaty, we get 60 days to hunt....THAT IS INCORRECT.

Central Flyway gets 76 or so days and the High Plains Mallard Management Unit gets 90 or so days. Pacific Flyway gets 107 days, Mississippi & Atlantic are the flyways that only get 60 days.

Secondly, pushing the season back won't do anything as per the same treaty you are talking about mandates ALL seasons shut down no later than Jan 31.

So, pushing the season opener to December won't do anything but take huntable days away from us. I could see pushing the season start back a couple weeks if we only had a 60 day season, but that is not the case. TPWD does everything they can within the Federal Frameworks to give us duck hunters the most opportunity to hunt ducks.

The only thing I am seeing right now that I don't like or agree with is the 5 day split in the North Zone...really wish they would go back to the same split as the South Zone. Starting a week later in November and only shutting down for a 5 day split hasn't been all that great. Really miss the 2 week split where the birds actually get a true break and build. Makes it like having another opening day as the birds are really comfortable and dumb...aka EASY hunts.

As far as no ducks in the first split...that is very subjective. If you are hunting ponds in N TX, I could see that. Typically, pond hunting in N TX gets good around Thanksgiving or the first week or so of December.

Personally, my group averages about 4-5 ducks per person on each hunt during the first split....typically kill about 150-200 birds in the first split. I only hunted 5 times during the first split this year due several fishing trips during the first 3 weeks of season. We still killed 65 ducks for a 5.4 bird per man average.

I see folks complaining about season dates and folks wanting to push it back. IT SIMPLY WILL NOT HAPPEN DUE TO FEDERAL FRAMEWORKS NOT ALLOWING DUCK HUNTING PAST JANUARY 31, so quit complaining about the dates and take advantage of the days we have to hunt!

#6994690 - 12/13/17 10:09 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: ducknbass]
WreakinHavoc Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
As a general rule every year it's one of many things.
Too hot
Too cold
Too wet
Too dry
Too early
Too late

Just go find em.

agree...always something
You find the food, you find the birds. Yes, earlier in November the birds have a broader migration area due to the northern states holding birds not being froze over, but heck we killed a 4 man limit 5 man limit of big ducks in 80 degree weather.. and none is private

personally think if they push the dates back like you mentioned there would be a decline in duck numbers.

Edited by WreakinHavoc (12/13/17 10:09 AM)

#6994697 - 12/13/17 10:16 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: RiverRunner]
WreakinHavoc Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: RiverRunner

First, according to International Treaty, we get 60 days to hunt....THAT IS INCORRECT.

Central Flyway gets 76 or so days and the High Plains Mallard Management Unit gets 90 or so days. Pacific Flyway gets 107 days, Mississippi & Atlantic are the flyways that only get 60 days.

Secondly, pushing the season back won't do anything as per the same treaty you are talking about mandates ALL seasons shut down no later than Jan 31.

So, pushing the season opener to December won't do anything but take huntable days away from us. I could see pushing the season start back a couple weeks if we only had a 60 day season, but that is not the case. TPWD does everything they can within the Federal Frameworks to give us duck hunters the most opportunity to hunt ducks.

The only thing I am seeing right now that I don't like or agree with is the 5 day split in the North Zone...really wish they would go back to the same split as the South Zone. Starting a week later in November and only shutting down for a 5 day split hasn't been all that great. Really miss the 2 week split where the birds actually get a true break and build. Makes it like having another opening day as the birds are really comfortable and dumb...aka EASY hunts.

As far as no ducks in the first split...that is very subjective. If you are hunting ponds in N TX, I could see that. Typically, pond hunting in N TX gets good around Thanksgiving or the first week or so of December.

Personally, my group averages about 4-5 ducks per person on each hunt during the first split....typically kill about 150-200 birds in the first split. I only hunted 5 times during the first split this year due several fishing trips during the first 3 weeks of season. We still killed 65 ducks for a 5.4 bird per man average.

I see folks complaining about season dates and folks wanting to push it back. IT SIMPLY WILL NOT HAPPEN DUE TO FEDERAL FRAMEWORKS NOT ALLOWING DUCK HUNTING PAST JANUARY 31, so quit complaining about the dates and take advantage of the days we have to hunt!

2 week split would be do wonders... I am a weekend hunter except for the last two weeks of December, and I think the 2 week split to include a weekend will help everyone out. Not including a weekend doesn't necessarily give birds a rest.

#6994704 - 12/13/17 10:21 AM Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: RiverRunner]
ducknbass Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: RiverRunner

I used to take that Monday after the split off yearly to go hunt a lake that is was closed for a draw deer hunt that weekend. Some of my best shoots.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide