Forums46
Topics537,777
Posts9,729,033
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: fouzman] #6992612 12/12/17 02:02 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: fouzman
What the he77 are you guys arguing about now?

Anyone that says they feel 'no disappointment' when a buck they really want is killed by someone else is FOS. I LOVE to put others on nice deer, but if I'm attempting to kill a specific buck and, he gets smoked at an adjacent stand, I'll guarantee you I'll feel a bit defeated.

That said, I'm assuming the deer is in his prime. Someone (hopefully family or friend) killing him is better than possibly never seeing him again. Still hurts a little, though. up

Yes sir.

Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: fouzman] #6992638 12/12/17 02:28 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

The jist of it is Nog is a hippy lawyer

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: txtrophy85] #6992646 12/12/17 02:34 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

The jist of it is Nog is a hippy lawyer

I object!

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: scalebuster] #6992652 12/12/17 02:41 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I’ve knocked a mans teeth out over a $2 pool game bet when honesty was called into question. However there’s no way I’d ever get upset because someone killed a deer I wanted to shoot.

Of course you wouldn't.

The focus of the discussion is what you've seen or experienced around other deer hunters.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6992665 12/12/17 02:49 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Disappointed, yes; worst case scenario, no.

Tangled in a fence, killed by a predator, hit by a car, other natural death?

Ive killed 6 deer in my life, didnt get my first until I was 18 years old. 9th season in Texas and Ive killed 1 deer in the last 9 years.

My son is 12 and has killed 1 each of the past 3 years. 2 of his 3 are bigger than anything Ive killed. As long as he notches a tag, I dont care if I pull the trigger or not.

Last edited by sprigsss; 12/12/17 02:51 AM.
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6992741 12/12/17 03:51 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I'm sure many of us have also seen cases where someone was more disappointed that a certain individual had killed a deer that they had wanted for themself or someone else, such as a wife or child.

I would bet one or two of you might even recall a time when such a thing came close to creating a physical altercation.

No, I can't relate to that. Only an idiot or mentally defective person would feel actual anger or ill will towards another hunter for legally killing a buck simply because he/she was hoping to kill it also.

I suspect we'll read at least one comment from someone who has seen it happen, maybe even more than once. The primal instinct deep within some guys to get meat for family survival can be strong.

It has happened and will happen. In the instance that I saw, there was no physical altercation but it wouldn’t have surprised me. It also wasn’t directly because of the deer that was killed, it was how it was killed.

Short version: one hunter gets a deer on camera, hunts the deer, sees the deer, doesn’t get a shot, shows someone else the deer and tells him he is going to give the area a rest...other hunter goes down and shoots the deer in the same location that the other guy had been hunting

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6992747 12/12/17 03:56 AM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
The only time I have ever gotten mad that someone else killed a deer that I was about to get was 14 years ago when I was bowhunting from a climbing Treestand in MA during gun season on a weekend. First of all that is really taking a chance of getting shot no matter how high you get off the ground there because most hunters are new to hunting and make horrible decisions! So most hunters stick to hunting the weekdays before or after work, but that year I was working 6 days a week to help the company out that I worked for and in return, I would be able to take off as much time as I wanted to the following season as a thank you. Anyways, I was on the typical WMA property hunting where there is no limit to how many people can hunt on it and basically the only areas to hunt in the state. So I started rattling in this buck that I spotted coming out of the thick brush and making it’s way in to the dead grass field since they return through the swamps on the other side to the little island where they like to bed down to get away from all the hunting pressure at times. So he turns around and starts coming in to my position and as soon as he hit the path that was 30 yards from my stand, two morons dressed in plain clothes with a 12 gauge pump action shotgun, start sprinting right at the buck while unloading every round in to the buck, and what really pissed me off is that they made contact with me right before that from waving to each other and me holding my hand up to them telling them to stop out of courtesy and raising my bow arm. It is pretty easy to spot me since I was wearing blaze orange camo and had two wraps of orange trail tape wrapped around the tree above my head. The area has some 5ft pines and brush and a 20yd shot is a normal distance up in those woods, so you always wait to take a shot when you can be sure that it isn’t going to wound an animal or worse, hurt another hunter. So I was waiting for him to cross the trail, go through the small pines and walk on out to my clearing so I could take a clean shot at him. After they wounded the buck and chased him down while pumping shell after shell of buck shot in to him, they grabbed it and ran while dragging it out. Most likely because they didn’t have a hunting license and were poaching since that is big up there since the Game Warden’s are so stretched out. I was on the deer and had it coming in and people are considerate towards each other normally, but these guys were idiots and will probably end up on the news sooner or later. The following year I had some moron start using the bottom of the tree I was in for target practice with his slug gun and I was tempted to put an arrow in the ground near him (or closer) but called the cops on him instead. After that I found some free land after putting up a post under the farm and garden section of Craigslist. Ended up getting to hunt on a nice plot of land that used to be a farm for a disabled man and his family and I would split each deer with them. They were really nice people and he would drag my deer out with his Gator.

Last edited by bowbuilder1971; 12/12/17 03:58 AM.
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: txshntr] #6992750 12/12/17 03:59 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I'm sure many of us have also seen cases where someone was more disappointed that a certain individual had killed a deer that they had wanted for themself or someone else, such as a wife or child.

I would bet one or two of you might even recall a time when such a thing came close to creating a physical altercation.

No, I can't relate to that. Only an idiot or mentally defective person would feel actual anger or ill will towards another hunter for legally killing a buck simply because he/she was hoping to kill it also.

I suspect we'll read at least one comment from someone who has seen it happen, maybe even more than once. The primal instinct deep within some guys to get meat for family survival can be strong.

It has happened and will happen. In the instance that I saw, there was no physical altercation but it wouldn’t have surprised me. It also wasn’t directly because of the deer that was killed, it was how it was killed.

Short version: one hunter gets a deer on camera, hunts the deer, sees the deer, doesn’t get a shot, shows someone else the deer and tells him he is going to give the area a rest...other hunter goes down and shoots the deer in the same location that the other guy had been hunting

Which is why box stands with padlocked doors are not unheard of in the deer hunting community.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: fouzman] #6992785 12/12/17 04:49 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

Anyone that says they feel 'no disappointment' when a buck they really want is killed by someone else is FOS. I LOVE to put others on nice deer, but if I'm attempting to kill a specific buck and, he gets smoked at an adjacent stand, I'll guarantee you I'll feel a bit defeated.

That said, I'm assuming the deer is in his prime. Someone (hopefully family or friend) killing him is better than possibly never seeing him again. Still hurts a little, though. up

I agree 100%. Bunch of guys around here are regularly full of it.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6992788 12/12/17 04:59 AM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I missed a chance at a nice big 12 point buck my first year hunting here and heard from my buddy that the neighbors wife ended up getting him the following week. She had him mounted and it hangs in their living room now from what I was told. I was actually glad to hear that she got him and not the neighbor down the street who was finally caught poaching deer that year. I came from a state where the deer are small and they don’t get the chance to even mature. So when ever I see a nice looking buck on my cameras or even on the side of the road somewhere, I always think that it’s going to make a great memory for some lucky person out there someday. I am glad that someone in their family harvested that buck. These days I have been physically down a lot and basically have a lot of memories that I think about often till I can get my corrective surgery over with and fully recover. So I am just greatful to have made a lot of great memories to reflect on from the past. If we always got the deer we were after each year, then what the heck would keep us looking forward to next years season lol. I missed my chance at a buck with a really flat wide spread that we nick named Longhorn. I am really looking forward to seeing what he looks like next year and continuing the chase.

Last edited by bowbuilder1971; 12/12/17 05:00 AM.
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6992889 12/12/17 01:04 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I can't control anything other than what I see in front of my stand, but I really get butt hurt when I see a buck run over lying off the side of the road where the FM road runs alongside my lease. realmad

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6992921 12/12/17 01:44 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Wild animals? Dont belong to anybody. If your a deer watcher and not a killer then watch them and watch them get killed. Some deer guides or hunting show people probably think they own all the deer where they are at and 5 miles around them. I've witnessed it and it is disgusting. Land barron wanta bes. They're everywhere. Crazy people.
If I'm hunting a deer and see it and dont kill it, well that's my fault. I will get up and run it down, but it's not a 100% tactic. They run faster. Like the big wild cats, failure is only up to them.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6992931 12/12/17 01:51 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Being mad at a hunter for simply taking a deer you were after and being mad at someone for being underhanded and/or an idiot are two completely different things.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6992934 12/12/17 01:52 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Being mad at a hunter for simply taking a deer you were after and being mad at someone for being underhanded and/or an idiot are two completely different things.

Truth...but it is still over a deer

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6993041 12/12/17 02:45 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I don't give it much thought either way. If I don't kill the deer and one of my hunting buddies does or my son, I am genuinely happy for them and more so if my son does. If none of us kill the deer and we never see him again, I chalk that up to hunting and move on. I do agree there are far worse things than another hunter on another property shooting a deer you had been targeting.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6993079 12/12/17 03:03 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Had a really impressive deer on camera last year. After hunting him all season, just wondering I come to find out the people who own the property across the road shot him opening morning. Bummer for us, but good for them. No doubt I was a little disappointed we didn't get him, but I cant blame them for shooting him we would have done the same. And we ended up making contact with them where we otherwise didn't.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6993112 12/12/17 03:24 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I guess it's how you interpret it. I see it like this.... if someone else got the deer. The hunt for that deer is over. As with most deer I've hunted I've seen them in the years past and didn't shoot.. you watch them grow and when they are finally ready or sometimes not even ready...mature someone shoots them. The game is over for that deer. 1 you won't get him 2 he won't grow to his full potential 3 he won't be around to breed his genetics.

I can relate. I understand where your coming from also. I always just hope the guy who shoots him will at least mount the deer. There is a weird Albanian guy down the street from me who shoots any deer with horns and hangs the heads in the car port. He killed a young piebald 8pt we had running around and didn't mount that deer. I had this dream of shooting that deer when he was mature. How cool would that be. I wish someone else could've shot that deer and gave him glory.

Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6993221 12/12/17 04:42 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6993232 12/12/17 04:45 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
If mom does'nt get that one I'll be sad because it is a true free range lifer. Reality is that it's a wild free range buck. He owns himself.

Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6993243 12/12/17 04:51 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
NP, you've thrown me for a loop on this discussion. Are you not the one that always had a disdain for HF yet would be fairly disappointed should someone else kill a deer you had your sights set on? Seems a little ironic to me.

Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: DQ Kid] #6993270 12/12/17 05:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
NP, you've thrown me for a loop on this discussion. Are you not the one that always had a disdain for HF yet would be fairly disappointed should someone else kill a deer you had your sights set on? Seems a little ironic to me.

I don't see why that throws you for a loop.
Two entirely different subjects, and there's nothing inconsistent in those positions.

I like sex too, but I don't hire prostitutes.

Think about it.

Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6993356 12/12/17 05:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Think about it.

What about escorts?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: txtrophy85] #6993370 12/12/17 06:11 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Think about it.

What about escorts?

Only one. She's had the job almost 30 years now (or is it the other way around?). smile

Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan] #6993497 12/12/17 07:42 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Isn't escort just a fancy name for prostitute?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: redchevy] #6993501 12/12/17 07:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Isn't escort just a fancy name for prostitute?

IDK, is it?
Not to me, I’m too old I guess.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide