416976 Topics
6044627 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6992219 - 12/11/17 03:27 PM "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him."
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

I happened to be spinning the TV channels this weekend when I happened across a hunting show where that comment was made. The guy on the show who made the comment was referring to his inability to see a certain buck that he had been watching for some time. I can think of at least a half dozen discussion angles to take with such a comment. Did the guy really see it as a bad thing if another hunter kills the deer? Did he somehow feel he's entitled to the deer? Is this guy really going to be very disappointed if another hunter kills the deer? Have deer really become that important to some people?

Spring, Texas

#6992234 - 12/11/17 03:36 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Dan you've seen that said on here way too many times so think you know how a good many on here feel about that one buck they've laid eyes on. To me, it's a simple crapshoot, nothing more, nothing less.

#6992241 - 12/11/17 03:39 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
If I'm after a certain deer, yes, it's important to me. And, yes, I'm disappointed if another hunter kills him. It's not because I begrudge the other hunter, it's because I was after him.

The operative word in the quote is "killed". Your whole post makes a wrong turn by assuming the comment is directed with ire at the other hunter. It is almost certainly directed at the fact that the deer is dead. I'm sure he would feel the same way if he died of old age, disease, or car collision.

#6992249 - 12/11/17 03:45 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
If I'm after a certain deer, yes, it's important to me. And, yes, I'm disappointed if another hunter kills him. It's not because I begrudge the other hunter, it's because I was after him.

The operative word in the quote is "killed". Your whole post makes a wrong turn by assuming the comment is directed with ire at the other hunter. It is almost certainly directed at the fact that the deer is dead.

I was more drawn to his choice of words "or worse" which eludes to his belief that another hunter killing the deer would be the worst outcome.

I agree, anyone would be disappointed to miss the chance at taking a big buck. Still, should it really make the outcome worse if the opportunity to take the deer fell on someone else?

Spring, Texas

#6992250 - 12/11/17 03:46 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

NP I bet you are a good attorney because you certainly have the art of spin. I get what you're saying but sure seems that it's still disappointment that deer was killed dead by someone else and not said hunter, agree?

#6992254 - 12/11/17 03:48 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Hunters hunt with guns and bows and ultimately will kill and harvest animals. A bit of lottery luck and good fortune involved if you think about it.

#6992256 - 12/11/17 03:50 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: DQ Kid]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
NP I bet you are a good attorney because you certainly have the art of spin. I get what you're saying but sure seems that it's still disappointment that deer was killed dead by someone else and not said hunter, agree?

I believe I said that in the second sentence. No "spin".

#6992265 - 12/11/17 03:55 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

The operative word in the quote is "killed". Your whole post makes a wrong turn by assuming the comment is directed with ire at the other hunter. It is almost certainly directed at the fact that the deer is dead.

I was more drawn to his choice of words "or worse" which eludes to his belief that another hunter killing the deer would be the worst outcome.

I agree, anyone would be disappointed to miss the chance at taking a big buck. Still, should it really make the outcome worse if the opportunity to take the deer fell on someone else?

What's the context of the quote, Dan? I didn't see the show.

I assumed the "or worse" was most likely a reference back to other non-lethal options (discussed or not)- such as the buck having left the area or gone nocturnal.

#6992266 - 12/11/17 03:55 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

I'm sure many of us have also seen cases where someone was more disappointed that a certain individual had killed a deer that they had wanted for themself or someone else, such as a wife or child.

I would bet one or two of you might even recall a time when such a thing came close to creating a physical altercation.

Spring, Texas

#6992288 - 12/11/17 04:04 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

I assumed the "or worse" was most likely a reference back to other non-lethal options (discussed or not)- such as the buck having left the area or gone nocturnal.

It was the words "or worse" that had been doing a double take because I really wasn't really listening as close before he made the comment. But I suspect you're correct concerning what he viewed as other possible outcomes.

But does the fact that other outcomes were possible negate the hunters belief that another hunter killing the deer was his least preferred outcome? If that wasn't the case, he wouldn't have added the words "or worse".

On the flip side, I've often told neighboring hunters about a nice buck that I've caught on camera. I always ask them to let me know if they kill him, not so that I can be more disappointed, but so that I can share in their success.

Edited by Texas Dan (12/11/17 04:12 PM)

Spring, Texas

#6992303 - 12/11/17 04:11 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

It was the words "or worse" that had been doing a double take because I really wasn't really listening as close before he made the comment. But I suspect you're correct concerning what he viewed as other possible outcomes.

But does the fact that other outcomes were possible negate the hunters belief that another hunter killing the deer was his least preferred outcome?

On the flip side, I've often told neighboring hunters about a nice buck that I've caught on camera. I always ask them to let me know if they kill him, not so that I can be more disappointed, but that I can share in their success.

Well ,if you're after a certain buck, him being dead kinda stops you down completely. Him going nocturnal or leaving the area does not. It has zero to do with feeling bad/ill will about another hunter's success. It's about the buck being dead.

Groundhog day.

#6992310 - 12/11/17 04:16 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Texas Dan]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

I'm sure many of us have also seen cases where someone was more disappointed that a certain individual had killed a deer that they had wanted for themself or someone else, such as a wife or child.

I would bet one or two of you might even recall a time when such a thing came close to creating a physical altercation.

No, I can't relate to that. Only an idiot or mentally defective person would feel actual anger or ill will towards another hunter for legally killing a buck simply because he/she was hoping to kill it also.

#6992312 - 12/11/17 04:17 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Well ,if you're after a certain buck, him being dead kinda stops you down completely. Him going nocturnal or leaving the area does not. It has zero to do with feeling bad/ill will about another hunter's success. It's about the buck being dead.

That would be the case only if the hunter had not indicated his belief in a hierarchy of outcomes when he included those two little words. Otherwise, he would have ended the list of reasons by saying "Or, that another hunter had killed him."

Spring, Texas

#6992315 - 12/11/17 04:19 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

No, I can't relate to that. Only an idiot or mentally defective person would feel actual anger or ill will towards another hunter for legally killing a buck simply because he/she was hoping to kill it also.

I suspect we'll read at least one comment from someone who has seen it happen, maybe even more than once. The primal instinct deep within some guys to get meat for family survival can be strong.

Edited by Texas Dan (12/11/17 04:37 PM)

Spring, Texas

#6992448 - 12/11/17 05:55 PM Re: "Or worse, that another hunter had killed him." [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

I always did sense a bit of a left leaning defense attorney in you NP.

Spring, Texas

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide