416507 Topics
6038030 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6990848 - 12/10/17 02:25 PM How to check headspace
David Stidham Offline
Light Foot

My dad gave me a 30.06 on a Mauser platform. Gun kicks like no other. A older gentleman told me to check the headspace. Any idea if I can do this myself or does a gunsmith need to?

#6990865 - 12/10/17 02:38 PM Re: How to check headspace [Re: David Stidham]
patriot07 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Royse City, TX
They have headspace gauges you can buy. I don't think most brick & mortar stores would carry them, but any of the big name online retailers will have them.

#6990870 - 12/10/17 02:40 PM Re: How to check headspace [Re: David Stidham]
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker

Loc: Johnson County
Head space gauge's. It shouldn't cost much to have a gun smith check it.

Depending on the style of stock the rifle has,that may be the hard kicking issue.The stock designs of the 1950-60's weren't very ergonomic,my first deer rifle was a 1903 sporter that my grandfather had built by Paul Jeager. That rifle would HURT you before I installed a muzzle brake,and I hate muzzle brakes.

#6990892 - 12/10/17 02:53 PM Re: How to check headspace [Re: David Stidham]
David Stidham Offline
Light Foot

I do think the stock may be some issue. It's a synthetic stock. Was thinking s muzzle brake. The gun has broke 3 cheap scopes already. They said the headspace is a dangerous issue. Just wanted to make sure before I changed everything.

#6990898 - 12/10/17 02:57 PM Re: How to check headspace [Re: David Stidham]
syncerus Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
What event prompted the suggestion to check the rifle headspace? Unless you're an FFL dealer who buys and sells in bulk, it's not a routine task, unless there's some symptom of a problem. Recoil has nothing whatsoever to do with correct/incorrect headspace.

#6990908 - 12/10/17 03:05 PM Re: How to check headspace [Re: syncerus]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Originally Posted By: syncerus
What event prompted the suggestion to check the rifle headspace? Unless you're an FFL dealer who buys and sells in bulk, it's not a routine task, unless there's some symptom of a problem. Recoil has nothing whatsoever to do with correct/incorrect headspace.

+1. Head space has nothing to do with the recoil. A 30-06 with full power ammo in a solid wood stock with no butt pad has a lot to do with the recoil. If you need some reduced 30-06 loads, let me know. I can tame it down to gentle recoil.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6990932 - 12/10/17 03:25 PM Re: How to check headspace [Re: David Stidham]
kmon1 Offline
junior

Loc: Texas
Agree with the others about headspace and stock. Go/nogo gauges are how most check headspace.

A good indication of headspace can be checked from a fired case. Check SAAMI specs and the head space datum point measurement point is given along with the +/- acceptable amount. Your fired case should be within that acceptable amount.

A stock that does not fit the shooter is a big part of felt recoil. Poorly fitting scope rings can kill scopes, especially some of the less rugged ones.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

#6990956 - 12/10/17 03:56 PM Re: How to check headspace [Re: David Stidham]
David Stidham Offline
Light Foot

Ok great info, thanks. I only brought up head space because someone mentioned it, and it could be the culprit. Any suggestions on a decent stock blank that I can fit. I searched and found companies like Boyd's and so on, but all replacements either seem to fit the exact rifle ( like a R.E.M. 700) or they are target/tactical stocks. I'm not looking for a custom one off 10k stock. Just decent and I think I can fit it

#6991638 - 12/11/17 08:39 AM Re: How to check headspace [Re: David Stidham]
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Fairfax, VA
Yes incorrect headspace can be dangerous. But there are two ways it can be bad.

Too little headspace and you are creating excessive pressures. But too little headspace is generally pretty evident when you have to jam the bolt closed on the loaded round. If the bolt is closing easily on factory ammunition your chamber is not too short. In essence you are using a factory round as a "Go" headspace gauge.

Too much headspace (or excessive headspace) and you will get misfires, split necks, case separations and pierced primers. If you aren't experiencing those symptoms you MAY still have excessive head space that effects accuracy but not enough to be dangerous. Only way to know for sure is to check with a "No-Go" gauge.

Checking headspace on an old rifle made from a milsurp action is probably a good idea. But as others have said it has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of recoil. (unless the head space is so excessive that the case isn't getting a good seal in the chamber, but that would result in lighter recoil and in most cases if it's that bad the firing pin wouldn't hit the primer)

The gauges are about $30-$50 ea and you need a "Go" and a "No-Go" gauge. The $30 ones are out of stock at Midway an Bownells right now so you would spend $100 to check it yourself. For the .30-06 they will also work on .25-06, .270, .338-06 and .35 Whelen. If you are buying and selling rifles, are into collecting milsurp rifles, or have a Savage action you like to swap barrels on getting a set of gauges is probably worthwhile. Otherwise a gunsmith should only charge you a few bucks to check it. If you are a member of a gun club I would bet someone around has a set of gauges and will help you check headspace.

Just putting a decent recoil pad on the gun will help, as will building up the cheek piece so you can see through the scope properly. I agree those old stocks were not set up well. But they can be modified cheaper than buying a new stock.

Edited by VAFish (12/11/17 08:47 AM)
-- Confucius

#6991669 - 12/11/17 09:01 AM Re: How to check headspace [Re: David Stidham]
Korean Redneck Online   content

Loc: Houston
Agree with everyone that I wouldn’t pay a penny to check the headspace unless there’s another reason than some guy said so.

However, go/no-go gauges can be rented if you don’t feel like buying.
https://www.reamerrentals.com/searchresults.asp?cat=26

#6991785 - 12/11/17 10:16 AM Re: How to check headspace [Re: Korean Redneck]
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
Agree with everyone that I wouldn’t pay a penny to check the headspace unless there’s another reason than some guy said so.

However, go/no-go gauges can be rented if you don’t feel like buying.
https://www.reamerrentals.com/searchresults.asp?cat=26

On a factory made rifle, that appears in good shape I wouldn't bother checking headspace unless there was some evidence of a problem.

But, on a rifle that has had some custom work done by an unknown, possible self trained, gunsmith like re-barrled, re-chambered, sporterized military surplus riles, or any military surplus rifle for that matter (very common to have swapped parts) I'd be willing to pay $10-$20 to a gunsmith to stick a set of gauges in it just for the piece of mind before I took it to the range.

In the OP's case he said it is a Mauser in .30-06. So I'm guessing it was sporterized military surplus rifle. I would have checked headspace before firing it. (but I also have friends I can borrow the gauges from) He has been shooting it already if there is no indication of a problem, I know I wouldn't spend $60-$100 to buy the gauges. The rental, depending how much shipping adds to the cost, is a pretty small price to pay I might do that.
-- Confucius

#6991804 - 12/11/17 10:26 AM Re: How to check headspace [Re: David Stidham]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Yall are getting off topic. The question was checking the head space because the gun had heavy recoil. One has nothing to do with the next. It's like checking the air in your tire when the low fuel light is on. It's pointless.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6991911 - 12/11/17 11:39 AM Re: How to check headspace [Re: ChadTRG42]
Korean Redneck Online   content

Loc: Houston
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Yall are getting off topic. The question was checking the head space because the gun had heavy recoil. One has nothing to do with the next. It's like checking the air in your tire when the low fuel light is on. It's pointless.

Not to be too technical, but...

the original topic was does he need a gunsmith to check his headspace, regardless of the reason. The answer is yes, and furthermore you don't have to buy the go/no-go gauage because you can rent them.
Nw if he finds out the rifle is headspaced wrong, then yes probably need a gunsmith to correct but NOT to merely check if you have proper gauges.

#6991922 - 12/11/17 11:45 AM Re: How to check headspace [Re: David Stidham]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: David Stidham
My dad gave me a 30.06 on a Mauser platform. Gun kicks like no other. A older gentleman told me to check the headspace. Any idea if I can do this myself or does a gunsmith need to?

The way I read this, is that he wants to check head space because of heavy recoil. If you want to check the head space, check the head space. Every gun smith should have some '06 gauges. If it's 2 separate topics, then it's misleading.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6991977 - 12/11/17 12:29 PM Re: How to check headspace [Re: ChadTRG42]
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: David Stidham

The way I read this, is that he wants to check head space because of heavy recoil. If you want to check the head space, check the head space. Every gun smith should have some '06 gauges. If it's 2 separate topics, then it's misleading.

I think it could be read either way. It is three separate sentences.

But I think we all agree.

1. Headspace does not affect felt recoil. If the only reason he has for checking headspace is the statement from some old guy that it could be affecting his recoil, the old guy is wrong.

2. You don't need a gunsmith to check headspace, you can buy, rent, or borrow the gauges. But if you take the gun to a gun smith it shouldn't cost that much to have it checked.

3. He's been shooting the gun already, absent any indicators of a headspace problem there isn't a reason to spend a lot of money having his headspace checked. But if he wants the peace of mind go get it checked.
-- Confucius

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide