Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,775
Posts9,729,022
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? #6990599 12/10/17 03:34 PM
B
brianaustintx Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
I have a few friends with land, they have been wanting me to get out there with one of my UAVs (drones) and fly around to scout out the animals. I did some googling, and found that I have to get a AWM Permit (https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/permits/land/wildlife_management/aerial_wl_management/) and spend $210 for the processing fee (https://apps.tpwd.state.tx.us/awm/flows/home?execution=e1s2)

Before I go and spend $$ on anything. Was wondering if anyone had any feedback. Has anyone ever used a UAV for scouting purposes? Since the FAA restricts you to 400ft, does the noise affect the animals down below? I think they are primarily wanting me to find the hogs, but I know they hunt a wide variety of game.

-Brian Austin
www.briancaustin.com
Re: AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? [Re: brianaustintx] #6990638 12/10/17 04:18 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
As I read the rules, if you don't photograph or count wildlife, then you don't need a permit. I would consider operating your drone to survey your friends' land from the air to better understand the property topography. As long as you don't photograph or count any wild animals that you might view incidentally, you would appear to be in compliance with the law. Obviously, if you use a drone commercially, you would need an FAA commercial drone license as opposed to the hobbyist license you would need to simply operate a drone over a friend's property.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? [Re: brianaustintx] #6990650 12/10/17 04:29 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Drones are noisy. You have heard them. Based on Youtube vids, if you get close to hogs, as in being overhead, hogs will run from them. Standing off at a distance and hogs are not bothered.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6990709 12/10/17 05:48 PM
B
brianaustintx Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: syncerus
As I read the rules, if you don't photograph or count wildlife, then you don't need a permit. I would consider operating your drone to survey your friends' land from the air to better understand the property topography. As long as you don't photograph or count any wild animals that you might view incidentally, you would appear to be in compliance with the law. Obviously, if you use a drone commercially, you would need an FAA commercial drone license as opposed to the hobbyist license you would need to simply operate a drone over a friend's property.

That's not a bad idea, just view them and don't count them. Haha, it will be hard for me not to photograph anything, being a photographer! Also, I actually can fly commercially, I have UAV insurance and all that good stuff!

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Drones are noisy. You have heard them. Based on Youtube vids, if you get close to hogs, as in being overhead, hogs will run from them. Standing off at a distance and hogs are not bothered.

That's what I was wondering about, if it would even be beneficial at all. I can clearly hear my p4p at 400ft up. I assume every single animal could as well. Of course DJI recently came out with a p4p "obsidian" which is supposed to be 30% quieter, but I doubt that would be enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKbRSnkro_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG4RSEY_O6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mRpIW2W5Rc

I guess it depends on how you use it, and if you scare them towards or away from you?

-Brian Austin
www.briancaustin.com
Re: AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6990762 12/10/17 06:55 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Well that's good news. A drone is way cheaper than a helicopter. If hogs flush from it, all I need is to find plenty of friends with rifles at the ready.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? [Re: brianaustintx] #6991083 12/11/17 12:09 AM
M
MClark Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
At the ranch I hunt we ran the drone to tour the waterholes, didn't see anything. It was fun but didn't do it again.
Buffalo hunting in tall grass using a drone was discussed, dismissed as a bad idea unless hunting because you are starving.

M

Re: AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? [Re: brianaustintx] #6991490 12/11/17 12:12 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
My BIL used one a couple weeks ago to see how deer react. Makes them really nervous and they don't stay around long but that's with it flying low, 50-100 ft altitude. They are just so noisy.

Re: AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? [Re: J.G.] #6992618 12/12/17 02:08 AM
B
brianaustintx Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Well that's good news. A drone is way cheaper than a helicopter. If hogs flush from it, all I need is to find plenty of friends with rifles at the ready.

That's how I was thinking it would be! But, I appreciate all the input for sure!! I'll most likely just mention to the friend all the options, and see how he feels...If I get any footage I will definitely post it here wink

-Brian Austin
www.briancaustin.com
Re: AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? [Re: brianaustintx] #6993145 12/12/17 03:52 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Seems crazy that TPWD would charge money for you to fly something on your own property. I have debated getting a drone strictly for fun and I will be damned if I would pay for a license to fly it around the ranch. Would I use that for WLM counts? No, but I dang sure would not pay TPWD to play with my own drone.

aaahh I see, if you charged money for flying it, yea, then a license would seem legit.

Me, I would not charge and therefore.. I would not have to pay... works for me!

R

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? [Re: brianaustintx] #6994302 12/13/17 05:21 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Different drones have different noise levels. My hobby Yuneec Q500 4K drone is a LOT quieter than a friend's hobby DJI Phantom. I've flown my drone 150 feet over deer at the house and they didn't care. However they are only half wild and used to cars and other noises. We've sent the drone out to check the hog trap at the ranch before. Never done it when there were hogs in the trap. I'm sure they'd spook.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: AWM Permit, anyone have any experience with UAVs and hunting? [Re: J.G.] #7001983 12/19/17 07:31 AM
J
J McCoy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I got one, you want to try it?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide